Maintaining flying blue gold

Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Maintaining flying blue gold

Hi all,

I have been FB Gold for three years now. However this year was less productive: I now have 110 XP and, with only one upcoming economy flight to JFK (with layover in AMS), I am set to end the year with 140 XP. So it looks like I will downgrade to Silver by Dec 31st. Next year, on the other hand, I will be flying a lot and should easily pass the 180 XP mark to recover Gold again.

Are there clever and not-too-expensive ways to avoid the downgrade? It would be a shame to miss the perks of a Gold membership during the busy next year. I looked into the AMEX credit card deal - the gold offer promises 30XP but probably only after a year? Or maybe I should upgrade my NYC trip to business class? Another thing that came to mind was to take a weekend to fly to Napoli (layovers in Amsterdam and Roma), have dinner, and fly back a day later... that should yield me 30XP and, of course, a great pizza.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:41 am

Amex should give you the extra XP as soon as you get the card, at least that was the case with the qualifying flights.
Both options though seems to still put you 10XP short of gold?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Oh it would be great if the AMEX deal works that way, thank you.

And you're certainly correct that 140 + 30 does not equal 180. But 10XP is just two EU flights and so manageable - I could gain that with a family visit in November.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by blitar
Hi all,

I have been FB Gold for three years now. However this year was less productive: I now have 110 XP and, with only one upcoming economy flight to JFK (with layover in AMS), I am set to end the year with 140 XP. So it looks like I will downgrade to Silver by Dec 31st. Next year, on the other hand, I will be flying a lot and should easily pass the 180 XP mark to recover Gold again.

Are there clever and not-too-expensive ways to avoid the downgrade? It would be a shame to miss the perks of a Gold membership during the busy next year. I looked into the AMEX credit card deal - the gold offer promises 30XP but probably only after a year? Or maybe I should upgrade my NYC trip to business class? Another thing that came to mind was to take a weekend to fly to Napoli (layovers in Amsterdam and Roma), have dinner, and fly back a day later... that should yield me 30XP and, of course, a great pizza.
if amex FB is available in your market , why not give a try for 1 or 2 years.

otherwise start to take a look at cheap flights with KL or AZ , you could even score up to 30xp in one european economy trip with AZ

but hurry up cause december is coming soon
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Where are you based? There are some mileage runs you can check out in a thread further down the page.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I'm based in the UK, flying mostly from NCL. I will have a look at the mileage runs, thanks B0gdan.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by blitar
Oh it would be great if the AMEX deal works that way, thank you.
That is indeed how it works.

You can also buy a round-trip EU J ticket to one of the cheaper destinations. AMS-LHR v.v. can be had for about 480 euros, for example. If you can figure out a cheap J destination with a connection through CDG you can get even more (Example: AMS-CDG-LHR and back I can find a same-day return for €471 which will give 60XP)
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
FB Amex Gold will give you 30XP, Platinum 60XP. You can have a free Dutch FB Gold card and a 50% discounted Platinum Card. You do need a Dutch bank account.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:50 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
A combined air france abonne card should yield the needed XPs: 40 for EUR 569 (EUR 419 if you go through your company), without any travel required, and with a 5,000 miles bonus.

Last edited by JOUY31; Oct 9, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:53 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I think the main problem here is that the OP will need a Dutch bank account to sign up for the Amex. Which I guess is not the case.

If he does have access I’m sure many people here, myself included, would be happy to send him a referral link to sign up with the first year fee waived (and 20k miles as a gift).

If Amex is not an option then I would suggest a business class round trip. If you could book business instead of economy for an upcoming trip that would be the most efficient - as you are not just flying for the miles. Saves a lot of time that way. Because pure mileage runs take, besides being expensive, a lot of your free time as well.

Personally I like the Alitalia deals that pass by every now and then - around 300 euro round trip in business within Europe. That would get 60XP which seems to be plenty But in reality any skyteam deal would work of course
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Is Air France AMEX an option if you live in Switzerland? I’ve never looked at this option, might be time to consider it. I do have a banking relation in France but I don’t actually live there.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
Is Air France AMEX an option if you live in Switzerland? I’ve never looked at this option, might be time to consider it. I do have a banking relation in France but I don’t actually live there.
in switzerland you have FB mastercard

For FB amex you need an adress (iam not sure if a simple adress or fiscal adress) , and a bank account in france
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Does the FB Mastercard offer XPs like the French AMEX?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
It takes less time to Google it than to ask on the forum
https://www.airfrance.ch/CH/en/local..._airfrance.htm
fifty_two and Mirendo like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Smile

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I think the main problem here is that the OP will need a Dutch bank account to sign up for the Amex. Which I guess is not the case.

If he does have access I’m sure many people here, myself included, would be happy to send him a referral link to sign up with the first year fee waived (and 20k miles as a gift).

OP could get a Dutch bankaccount at internetbank Bunq. Of course I also would be happy to send him a referral link for the first year free and 22k miles .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.