Earning miles on KQ Best Buy Fares

Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Earning miles on KQ Best Buy Fares

Does anyone know for sure whether KQ Best Buy fares earn miles?

On the KQ website as you book a Best Buy fare, it says

"Mileage accural: No"

However these book into booking class R or N, usually, for the routes I take - for which the FB website says:

Earn Miles and gain XP on
  • Flights marketed as Kenya Airways (KQ) and operated by one of the SkyTeam partner airlines, as per the earning scheme below.
  • Flights marketed as Kenya Airways (KQ) and operated by Precision Air between Nairobi and Zanzibar, Kilimanjaro, Mombasa or Dar es Salaam; or between Mombasa and Zanzibar, as per the earning scheme below.
Earning Miles and gaining XP isn’t possible for:
  • Tickets with a booking class not mentioned in the scheme below
  • Reward tickets (tickets booked using Miles)
CABIN AND BOOKING CLASS EARNING %:

• First Class––N/A
  • Business Class––J: 175%; C, D, I: 150%; Z, O: 125%
  • Economy Class––Y, B, M: 100%; U, K, H: 75%; L, Q, T, R, E, N: 50%; G, V, W, X: 25%

Since KQ flights never post automatically for me, not sure what's worth pursuing...
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Smile KQ credits miles on every flight

Yes absolutely, you will get miles
Either automatically (it works 75% of the time for me) or you can do a retroclaim online where you'll get them pretty quickly.
One of the Flying Blue basic rules is that you will get miles for EVERY flight, except for group bookings and award flights.

Originally Posted by typical
Since KQ flights never post automatically for me, not sure what's worth pursuing...
Are these sectors continental or intercontinental?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks! That makes it a bit easier to get up to E+ and replace SV.

All the KQ flights I've taken so far and credited to FB have been continental. Sometimes even weeks later, and even with a couple of emails through the FB system, there has been no response. However the live chat on th KQ website seems to work a little better in getting things moving.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:34 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Yes absolutely, you will get miles
Either automatically (it works 75% of the time for me) or you can do a retroclaim online where you'll get them pretty quickly.
One of the Flying Blue basic rules is that you will get miles for EVERY flight, except for group bookings and award flights.
Is that the result of actual experience or an assumption?

When an airline explicitly states that no miles will be earned on these fares; that means that KQ will not pay FB for the miles flown. Which means that FB will be very reluctant to give you the miles as they basically have to pay out of pocket for them. FB is not known for keeping their website up-to-date, and have previously refused to credit miles even though their website may seem to say that the fare is eligible. There is always some kind of general exception-rule they can fall back on.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by typical
Thanks! That makes it a bit easier to get up to E+ and replace SV.

All the KQ flights I've taken so far and credited to FB have been continental. Sometimes even weeks later, and even with a couple of emails through the FB system, there has been no response. However the live chat on th KQ website seems to work a little better in getting things moving.
KQ counts 4 xp on domestic sectors which is attractive.
Lastly, with the recent FFP "evolution" it takes longer to get miles posted on the account according to different threads posted here. Then it depends of the routes. To/from South Africa, miles were systematically credited with no delay whereas from a remote destination, most of the time it had to be done "online".
Interesting to learn that live chat is useful for such matters. Thanks for the hint.

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Is that the result of actual experience or an assumption?

When an airline explicitly states that no miles will be earned on these fares; that means that KQ will not pay FB for the miles flown. Which means that FB will be very reluctant to give you the miles as they basically have to pay out of pocket for them. FB is not known for keeping their website up-to-date, and have previously refused to credit miles even though their website may seem to say that the fare is eligible. There is always some kind of general exception-rule they can fall back on.
Below is KQ inflight magazine (page 46) from October 2018. And this page has remained identical for years. And on the previous FB site I remember reading something similar...
Also in the past, maybe 20 tickets of these Best Buy fares were purchased and have always credited miles (+ now XPs) without any issues.
But indeed, it's confusing/misleading that KQ's website states otherwise. I prefer this situation that the opposite though

Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Below is KQ inflight magazine (page 46) from October 2018. And this page has remained identical for years.
... and it shows as it clearly is no longer accurate (in particular, it no longer is 20 months of inactivity for miles to expire but 24). I would not place much reliance on the statement there that "every" flight with KQ or a Skyteam airline partner earns award miles". That is plainly inaccurate: there have been examples over the years of revenue flights on partner airlines booked in classes that did not earn miles in FB. I would, however, place much more reliance on your experience of earning miles on these KQ fares.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
... and it shows as it clearly is no longer accurate (in particular, it no longer is 20 months of inactivity for miles to expire but 24). I would not place much reliance on the statement there that "every" flight with KQ or a Skyteam airline partner earns award miles". That is plainly inaccurate: there have been examples over the years of revenue flights on partner airlines booked in classes that did not earn miles in FB. I would, however, place much more reliance on your experience of earning miles on these KQ fares.
Yes totally agree with the partner airlines part (and the lack of updated infos btw ), but what about the few airlines having the Flying Blue program? that's what I meant
If the OP explains which FFP he/she is using it could be better for more help, though I'm totally clueless with other FFPs earning.

These Best Buys fares were virtually implemented when KQ completely revamped its website 2 or 3 years ago, so not sure about the date, but at that time (and up to now) you were guaranteed level (XPs today) + award miles when selecting these fares. But once again, with SV, DL or SU FFPs for instance, the aforementioned answer might be absolutely wrong for Typical!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry - I'm talking about collecting on FB.

These fares absolutely do earn on SV, but burning is such a pain (and STE+ from other FFPs is no longer so useful for flying AF/KL) that I'm switching from SV to FB. Also crediting became a real pain on SV so I thought by switching I'd be able to track earning more easily as flights credited immediately... so much for that
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but what about the few airlines having the Flying Blue program? that's what I meant
I would not be so sure. I would not be that surprised to find ineligible bargain bucket fare on Tarom that do not earn anything in FB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.