Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

KLM "light fare", Delta operated flight - FB Elite Plus benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Greetings my fellow Flyertalkers,

I've been researching Light/Basic Economy AFKLM/DL arrangements, and after going through a number of threads at various sites I still have questions...

I'm looking into buying EU-US return ticket where transatlantic leg(s) may be operated by Delta. For those who have no status and are on either basic or light fare, it's pretty straightforward - no bags, no seat selection, etc., regardless of marketing or operating carrier.

​​​​When it comes to Elites Plus however, there seems to be an inconsistency.

Delta Golds and above on basic fares don't seem to get anything. Some say that contacting DL directly (i.e. Twitter) will get you a seat assigned in advance, but that's just about it (no checked bags for instance).

Flying Blue Golds and Plats on light fares still get 1 bag and all other benefits. So that's fine as long as all is marketed and operated by AFKLM....

...but what will happen when you're checking in for a Delta operated flight? Surely in their system your booking will come up as basic economy? Hence not entitled to a free checked bag? Or will adding your FB number help?

I'm not overly concerned about leaving Europe, but checking in at a remote station in US for a connecting flight and wanting to check a bag may lead to problems if your booking is indeed showing on their screens as Basic Economy...

I've seen 2 main replies so far - rules of the airline operating first segment apply (in my case: out - KLM's, return - Delta's) and the others are saying that the marketing carrier's rules apply...

Can you share your knowledge, please?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:41 am

First of all as I understand it, even Basic Economy on Delta still gives elites (including DL elites) one free bag.

As for the other restrictions: those do indeed apply but only when DL-ticketed/marketed. When KL-ticketed you basically just get a discount if you were only ever going to check a single bag anyway.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CyBeR
First of all as I understand it, even Basic Economy on Delta still gives elites (including DL elites) one free bag.

As for the other restrictions: those do indeed apply but only when DL-ticketed/marketed. When KL-ticketed you basically just get a discount if you were only ever going to check a single bag anyway.
Thanks CyBeR. Yes, I've now found the bit about the bags - the fee is waived for the Elites+. Priority check-in desks and SKY boarding remain.

What is gone is the advance seat selection and access to preferred seats on Delta aircrafts (i.e. exit rows), which is a bummer.

Ok, it seems clear now what I should do, thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Just last week I flew on a DL coded, DL operated basic economy ticket from BRU to LGA via ATL. Baggage allowance was fine; 2 pieces to check in. But seating was an issue. I could only preselect seats for BRU to ATL after check in, and could not select eco comfort. But as the plane was lightly loaded I had 3 seats to myself on the front row of the main cabin, which was actually better than the more densely packed eco comfort.
A major pain in the ... was the ATL to LGA leg. Staff at BRU could not assign a seat and nor could I do it via the DL app.It kept showing standby. Eventually a seat was assigned: a middle seat. Exactly what I did not want. Staff at the lounge in ATL cannot do anything as it is basic eco; I could only change seats at the gate. Eventually after a bit of banter at the gate and waiting for boarding to be almost completed I was handed a BP for an aisle seat.
In short, if you're flying basic eco on a direct connection from Europe I think it's fine. If you have a connecting flight and are fussy about seat assignments, then I recommend going for the next level up fare so that you can have more control over your fare and also to be sure you are on the upgrade list for your domestic flight in the U.S.

Last edited by HalconBCN; Sep 3, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Just last week I flew on a DL coded, DL operated basic economy ticket from BRU to LGA via ATL.
Thanks for the valuable feedack, HalconBCN.

I've ended up booking KLM coded flights (INV-AMS-SLC-LAS and return via NYC and AMS), with both TATL on KLM. All are under KLM "light fare", and IF booked on Delta (same price) they would have been an E class, basic eco.

Now, on Delta website, for DL operated domestic segments, I am unable to select any seat other than non-preferred basic cattle middle ones. However when I use Delta App, I can choose EXIT, preferred and whatnot, exactly as it has always been.... Also, on Delta, the class shown is V, Main Cabin... Although it's a "light fare" on KLM...

So it seems that booking under AFKLM code should be a preferred way for anyone seeking a basic fare with benefits... unless it's just an IT glitch which they will fix in the near future...
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

No network, double post, delete please.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
This behavior had been around quite some time already so I guess it is more of a feature than a bug The Light tarif on AF/KL is not the same as Basic Eco on DL.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by HeartFist
This behavior had been around quite some time already so I guess it is more of a feature than a bug The Light tarif on AF/KL is not the same as Basic Eco on DL.
On the plus side DL E class earns at 25% miles under the partner earning scheme, so I have netted about 5000 miles for the round trip to NYC including the 100% Plat bonus.
So the paradox is - book with DL code on E class: earn significantly more miles than you would with AFKLM (unless flying an expensive base fare) but get squeezed on the benefits.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:42 am

Question:

When I book an DL coded, but KL operated flight from AMS to JFK booked in Basic Economy, can I also not select a seat even though I am FB Platinum?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Not 100% if that will help Bob but try installing the Air France app on your phone and enter your 6 letter booking ref.

make sure you also link your FF card to your AF account.

Has worked nicely for me when selecting a delta seat on a KL code.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Has worked nicely for me when selecting a delta seat on a KL code.
Ok thank you. But I was thinking in a reverse situation.
DL coded but KL seat.

Still same procedure ?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
That's why I wasn't sure 100% but you have nothing to lose to give it a pop (apart from 10mns of
your time). Ive used it to reserve seats on klm aircraft too.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
That's why I wasn't sure 100% but you have nothing to lose to give it a pop (apart from 10mns of
your time). Ive used it to reserve seats on klm aircraft too.
well I haven’t booked yet so just wanted to know the experiences
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
I often fly using KLM basic fare and actually just returned from Florida this week. I often get upgraded by Delta (I am a FB platinum card holder) and this week my wife and I got 4 A and C heading from MCO to JFK. However, our flight was 5 hours late in leaving MCO due to a technical issue which meant we never got home to UK until 7 1/2 hours later that it should have.

If this had been a KLM or AF flight we have been eligible for the 600/800 Euros compensation instead of the 0 Euros we are due since Delta is not a European Company. Therefore, next time we head to US we will be using direct KLM flights from Amsterdam and avoiding he Delta metal.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:21 am

Hi - I have a similar question about baggage allowance but this time for a VS flight booked as KL codeshare 'light' fare. Logging into KL/AF website I am clearly shown a baggage allowance of 0 checked bags, despite the fact that I'm logged into my account (FB gold). Does anyone have any experience/answers on whether FB baggage benefit will apply on KL-coded VS flight? Or will I have to pay to check in a bag?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.