Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

SkyMiles Gold benefits on KLM Award flight booked with FB miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat

Hi everyone,

I booked an award flight by transferring AMEX miles to my FB account. I then called FB to change my FF number to my Delta SM one since I have gold on Delta (Skyteam Elite Plus). I see I have 2 pieces of luggage while the two others in the PNR have only 1, but it's still charging me to assign seats (see attached). Shouldn't it allow me to assign all seats for free?

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Accor Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Is your Delta membership adequately reflected in your booking in AF website?

Originally Posted by GiantVulture
Hi everyone,

I booked an award flight by transferring AMEX miles to my FB account. I then called FB to change my FF number to my Delta SM one since I have gold on Delta (Skyteam Elite Plus). I see I have 2 pieces of luggage while the two others in the PNR have only 1, but it's still charging me to assign seats (see attached). Shouldn't it allow me to assign all seats for free?

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by SteamyUncle
Is your Delta membership adequately reflected in your booking in AF website?
It shows up on the KLM site, but not on AF. Weird, right? Is that why it's not working?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I'd call 'em up and get it assigned that way. Or try the app!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by GiantVulture
but it's still charging me to assign seats (see attached). Shouldn't it allow me to assign all seats for free?
Why would it?

In Flying Blue, only Platinums (top tier) get seat selection for free; Golds and Silvers only get a discount.

In your screenshot, you are being given a discount.

SM Gold is far from being a top-tier status; you are being given a discount commensurate with your Delta status level.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why would it?

In Flying Blue, only Platinums (top tier) get seat selection for free; Golds and Silvers only get a discount.

In your screenshot, you are being given a discount.

SM Gold is far from being a top-tier status; you are being given a discount commensurate with your Delta status level.
Except that gold/silver (STE/STE+) do get standard seats for free. OP appears to be getting the 10% FB IvoryExplorer discount, which is probably correct with his FB account level. I don't think it's possible to change that on awards though.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
This thread discusses the same problem. The OP in that thread learned:

"The rep on FB confirmed that as Elite members of another skyteam airline, I am entitled to select a standard economy seat free of charge. However, there's no way for me to do this on my own on the KLM website. They offered to help me make the booking on their end but I didn't feel comfortable sending all the personal information to them on FB messenger. So I called KLM's customer service line in the U.S. (by the way I couldn't even find this number on KLM's website, I had to google it). It appears the customer service is run by Delta in the US. After some trial-and-error, the rep on the phone was finally able to complete the booking for me and let me select seats without additional charge.

A few minutes later I received the confirmation email not from KLM, but from Delta (with Delta's logo and everything). I then went on KLM's website to make sure that I am able to retrieve the booking record there, and I did find it.
" .

So, as someone indicated above, contact KLM or its rep in your country via social media or whatever to get things solved. Bottom line is that STE+ should be able to reserve normal and even preferred seats without costs.

Booking KLM economy seats with Skyteam Elite Plus Status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.