Upgrade with miles

Old Jul 14, 18, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Upgrade with miles

Hi all,

I would like to use miles for an upgrade from premium eco to business. On flyingblue website they only show 3 examples of upgrade costs.
I asked flyingblue how many miles does it cost for a CDG-SGN. They answered it depend on the ticket price, date and so on.
Do you guys already made this? Do you have an idea how this cost is calculated?
(Cost of prime ticket business - cost prime ticket premium economy?)
Thanks
Old Jul 14, 18, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Unfortunately I think it’s impossible to answer your question. FB has recently moved to a dynamic price scheme for award tickets and upgrades and it depends on so many factors that it is pretty hard to guess how much it will cost.

To upgrade in advance, you may look at your booking in MMB page of AF site and see if you have a section proposing you this, so you can see how many miles they will ask you. Also, you may have the possibility to buy a DoD upgrade. There is a thread dedicated to DoD upgrades which can usually be paid in cash or miles or a combination of both. And they can be of very good or very poor value.
New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017
Old Jul 14, 18, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

thank you Goldorak. But in this case I would fly business or nothing. This is why I would like to know before booking any ticket
Old Jul 14, 18, 1:58 pm

Programs: FB Silver & Petroleum, NH Platinum
Wouldn't it be better to just use your miles to purchase a business ticket from the start instead of relying on an upgrade with miles?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 18, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by Worldeater67 View Post
thank you Goldorak. But in this case I would fly business or nothing. This is why I would like to know before booking any ticket
So you’d just book J upfront.
Old Jul 15, 18, 4:12 am
Original Poster

The whole story is that I have 60k miles left that I would like to use. Then i'll switch to star alliance.
Old Jul 16, 18, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA Silver: KL
Originally Posted by Worldeater67 View Post
Hi all,

I would like to use miles for an upgrade from premium eco to business. On flyingblue website they only show 3 examples of upgrade costs.
I asked flyingblue how many miles does it cost for a CDG-SGN. They answered it depend on the ticket price, date and so on.
Why not view your booking on airfrance.com, and see if a mileage upgrade is available?

If it is, the following will be displayed, and clicking on it will show you exactly how many miles are required. (You may be shocked! In the example below, on a short intra-Europe flight, I am asked to spend 26000 miles to sit in front of the curtain)

If the upgrade flash isn't displayed, then it most likely means that you cannot use your miles to upgrade the booking.

Additionally, given that SGN is one of the current PromoAward destinations, could you perhaps have booked a one-way for 45k miles?
Attached Images   
Old Jul 17, 18, 1:42 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Unfortunately I think it’s impossible to answer your question. FB has recently moved to a dynamic price scheme for award tickets and upgrades and it depends on so many factors that it is pretty hard to guess how much it will cost.

To upgrade in advance, you may look at your booking in MMB page of AF site and see if you have a section proposing you this, so you can see how many miles they will ask you. Also, you may have the possibility to buy a DoD upgrade. There is a thread dedicated to DoD upgrades which can usually be paid in cash or miles or a combination of both. And they can be of very good or very poor value.
New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017
That is (unfortunately) very true for plain awards.

Though IIRC, the old scheme is still in place for cabin upgrades (non DoD ones).

In that case, the price of the upgrade depends on both:
- original booking class
- availability of O class

FB has updated its pages re upgrades still they contain very little information: https://www.flyingblue.com/en/flights/upgrades

For CDG-SGN, it starts at 80k for Y to J.

Last edited by bodory; Jul 17, 18 at 1:48 am