Platinum vs. Platinum Ultimate

Old Jul 3, 18, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Platinum vs. Platinum Ultimate

Based on my current travel plans I should end up at around 800 XP this year. I understand that at the end of the year 300 XP will be deducted to renew my Platinum membership and that I can carry over the remaining 500 XP into the next year.

Now I'm wondering whether it's worth the extra effort to pass 900 XP which I believe is the threshold for Platinum Ultimate. I think I could make this work but it would require some trips that are strictly speaking not necessary.

Do you think it's worth the pain? Are the benefits of Platinum Ultimate much better than of normal Platinum?

Thanks,

Michael
Old Jul 3, 18, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
The threshold for Ultimate is not 900, but 1800 over 2 years. I mean that nothing will happen when you reach 900 in one year. And do not forget that not all FB-eligiblle flights qualify for Ultimate : only the AF/KL/A5-coded flights. Amex XPs do not count.
Old Jul 3, 18, 12:27 am
Original Poster

That's very helpful. Thank you!

The flights are not an issue I think but some of my XP come from the Amex Platinum (I think it's 60).

So I guess I let things just unfold as they go and see where it lands me next year.

Is there a thread here that summarizes the benefits of Platinum Ultimate vs. Platinum? It seems there is nothing on the FB Webpage on that. Just curious to see what the incremental benefits actually are.

Thanks again,

Michael
Old Jul 3, 18, 12:33 am

Programs: FB Plat
There is a dedicated thread, where benefits are discovered by first-hand experience: Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate Status

TL;DR: The Ultimate Program is still in beta phase.
Some airports will let you skip all the lines
​​​​​​Now 2 free upgrade vouchers
Other inconsistent or minor perks
Nothing to expect from KL and the AMS hub.
Old Jul 7, 18, 6:43 am

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AFKL ULTI, WOH Lifetime Globalist, IC Royal Ambassador
It would be great if we could also use the upgrade vouchers to upgrade from Business to La Premiere.
Please if you are in favour of this please call your KLAF commercial manager and let them know.
They are thinking about this and need a little push. I reckon if they hear this a lot they will move.
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by MumbaiDan View Post
It would be great if we could also use the upgrade vouchers to upgrade from Business to La Premiere.
Please if you are in favour of this please call your KLAF commercial manager and let them know.
They are thinking about this and need a little push. I reckon if they hear this a lot they will move.
Interesting. I donít see who could be against this
Old Jul 8, 18, 1:06 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by MumbaiDan View Post
It would certainly get me to consider taking more AF flights if this were to be allowed.
Old Jul 8, 18, 5:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

Interesting. I donít see who could be against this
Apart from all of Air France's management perhaps
Wangja and San Gottardo like this.
Old Jul 9, 18, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform View Post
Apart from all of Air France's management perhaps
And what about all the non-revs, friends, family, relatives and neighbors of the crew, etc?

Johan
San Gottardo and Xizm like this.