Carry-over of XP

Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Carry-over of XP

I'm currently FB Platinum. This year I have already reached 325 XP as of today which is above the threshold needed to maintain Platinum. I guess by the end of the year I will be somewhere in the range of 600-700 XP

What happens with the XP above the threshold? Will they simply be carried over into the next year? So, for example, assume I end 2018 with 700 XP. Will I then automatically start 2019 with 400 XP which is more than I need to maintain Platinum? Or is there a limit to the number of XP that can be carried over? Or will they simply be lost?

Thanks,

Michael
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: KL Plat
There's no limit to the carry over, although in practice any balance above 3000 (even 2700 really) would be pointless in terms of carry over since that's (currently) enough to give you 10 years Platinum -> Platinum for Life. They get deducted from your balance at the end of your membership year as you correctly say.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Perfect! Thanks very much for your response.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Solevita
although in practice any balance above 3000 (even 2700 really) would be pointless in terms of carry over since that's (currently) enough to give you 10 years Platinum -> Platinum for Life.
Be careful; a year without any new activity could lead to an immediate downgrade to Explorer and loss of all accumulated XPs

[At least, that's what used to happen in the old scheme...]
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ♪♪♪ 7 ™
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Be careful; a year without any new activity could lead to an immediate downgrade to Explorer and loss of all accumulated XPs

Soft landing?

Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:18 am

True true, I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere if this is still a requirement or not? Better to show up for at least one mile-earning flight a year just in case

Originally Posted by Andy49

Soft landing?

I think that only applies if you don't have sufficient XP to maintain your current level. But if e.g. you're Platinum with 200 XP do you keep those 200XP and soft-land to Gold, or do they take them all / 180XP?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
There's no limit to the carry over, although in practice any balance above 3000 (even 2700 really) would be pointless in terms of carry over since that's (currently) enough to give you 10 years Platinum -> Platinum for Life. They get deducted from your balance at the end of your membership year as you correctly say.
Unless you want to qualify for Ultimate.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Soft landing?

In FB, a "soft landing" requires that you actually got off the ground - i.e. took one level-mileage earning flight (in the new parlance, an XP-earning flight) - during your membership year....at least in the old scheme!!!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak

Unless you want to qualify for Ultimate.
But Ultimate is 1800 over 2 years, so even with a completely theoretical cap of 3000 you'd still achieve Ultimate. You can't bank extra XP for Ultimate can you? i.e. collect 3600 XP in one year then 1 XP for each of the following 3 years would still only give you 2 years of Ultimate AFAIK?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...

Soft landing?

Soft landing, in the past, was subject to at least one valid movement on the account IIRC. Presumably the same holds in the current system.

True true, I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere if this is still a requirement or not? Better to show up for at least one mile-earning flight a year just in case
I don't think we have seen an outright mention one way or another.

I think that only applies if you don't have sufficient XP to maintain your current level. But if e.g. you're Platinum with 200 XP do you keep those 200XP and soft-land to Gold, or do they take them all / 180XP?
This is unknown at this time, but presumably, 180XP would be taken.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "price" of Platinum is 300XP. For every new year of Platinum, 300XP MUST be subtracted from your account.

If you have, as per your example, 200XP in your account, you haven't "earned" Platinum and therefore drop to Gold. In the old scheme, you would have lost the entirety of your Level Miles balance - as mileage rollovers were only awarded when you maintained, or increased, level. In the new scheme, XP rollovers apply regardless of whether you are going up or down in status - so long as you exceed the relevant ("one below") threshold. So in your example, the Platinum with 200XP would become a Gold with (200-180 for Gold =) 20XP.

However, your example masks the fact that, for someone who had, say, been Platinum and earned only 175 XP - so just 5XP short of the Gold target - they actually only earned Silver, but instead BENEFIT from getting "soft landed" down to Gold. As a result of the soft-landing, they lose the entire XP balance (which is "fair" - they are still being given status that they didn't deserve based on their flying that year). Remember, the XP rollover only applies to those who exceed the relevant threshold. If you actually "soft land" down a level - as opposed to having actually earned it outright, as in your numerical example - you lose everything.

In my numerical example (Platinum/175XP) there may be people who would prefer to be given "Silver" and a rollover of (175-100 = 75XP) but that's not what happens; the softlanding mechanism intervenes, giving you Gold and 0XP. (But having Silver would mean you would need to earn 180 + 300 XP in a row to get back to Platinum, so soft-landing to Gold is better than starting with a rollover and lower status)

You also raised the possibilty of dropping from Platinum to Gold, and starting the new membership year with your 200XP balance intact. THIS IS A COMPLETE IMPOSSIBILITY! It is simply impossible, under any circumstances other than having a balance of 0, to start a new membership year with the exact same XP balance with which you finished the previous membership year.

• If you soft land, you start with 0XP. (Therefore, if you don't think you can maintain your status at all in any year, you have no incentive, as regards status, of recording more than one XP-earning flight in that membership year.)
  • If you drop a level [meaning, as in your example, that you didn't hit your Platinum target of 300XP] but had exceeded that lower threshold anyway [which, in your example, was the case as 200XP exceeds the 180XP needed for Gold], you don't get a softlanding but earn the "one-below" status outright, and start the new year with a positive balance [In your example, of (200-180 = 20XP)]
  • If you maintain your level, or increase your level, you start the new year with the balance over and above that threshold (so, if you get up to/stay at silver, you have 100XP deducted; if you get up to/stay at Gold, you have 180XP deducted; if you get up to/stay at Platinum, you have 300XP deducted) - which may mean starting with 0XP if you only just hit the target exactly.
Solevita likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 11, 2018 at 11:18 am Reason: Corrected thanks to Fabo.sk
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:42 am

In my numerical example (Platinum/175XP) there may be people who would prefer to be given "Silver" and a rollover of (175-100 = 75XP) but that's not what happens; the softlanding mechanism intervenes, giving you Gold and 0XP. (But having Silver would mean you would need to earn 100 + 180 XP in a row to get back to Gold, so it is better than starting with a rollover and lower status)
You probably mean that being Silver you would need 180 (- 75) + 300 XP for Platinum, or conversely 100 + 180 from Explorer to Gold sans soft landing. Under no circumstances does a SIlver need to earn more than 180XP within a year to reach Gold.

You also raised the possibilty of dropping from Platinum to Gold, and starting the new membership year with your 200XP balance intact. THIS IS A COMPLETE IMPOSSIBILITY! It is simply impossible, under any circumstances other than having a balance of 0, to start a new membership year with the exact same XP balance with which you finished the previous membership year.
Technically not confirmed yet, so I wouldn't say it's a complete impossibility, although it's basically 100% likely that it will be like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
You probably mean that being Silver you would need 180 (- 75) + 300 XP for Platinum, or conversely 100 + 180 from Explorer to Gold sans soft landing. Under no circumstances does a SIlver need to earn more than 180XP within a year to reach Gold.
No; in all examples there, the hypothetical member is currently Platinum; I tease out all possible scenarios on where a Platinum can end up. You've gone off on your own tangent there so I won't comment!

Technically not confirmed yet, so I wouldn't say it's a complete impossibility, although it's basically 100% likely that it will be like this.
How could it ever be possible to start the year with the same XP balance that you ended it with (other than zero)?????

If you're Platinum/Gold/Silver/Ivory with, say, 10XP - you get a soft landing (or stay ivory) and start with 0 in all cases.
If you're Platinum/Gold with, say, 185 XP, you go to/remain Gold and start with 5 XP.

(You always lose either everything, or the "threshold amount". There is no mechanism - except when you have nothing to start with - where you can survive a year change without losing any XPs. The benefit is shown in the table as "keep surplus XP". That means XPs have to, by definition, be subracted - otherwise there is no surplus (none of the status levels has a threshold for qualifcation of 0XP!! the one that does - Explorer - does not qualify for a rollover!!))
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 11, 2018 at 10:51 am
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:09 am

No; in all examples there, the hypothetical member is currently Platinum; I tease out all possible scenarios on where a Platinum can end up. You've gone off on your own tangent there so I won't comment!
How have I gone off on a tangent?

You say:

TBut having Silver would mean you would need to earn 100 + 180 XP in a row to get back to Gold, so it is better than starting with a rollover and lower status
But this is an actual impossibility. Under NO circumstances EVER does a Silver member need to earn 100 + 180 XP to get to Gold. As soon as a Silver member gains 180XP in a qualification period (up to 13 months), they become Gold.

Only Explorer members need to earn 100 + 180 XP to get to Gold.
Your quote only makes sense, if you meant to show how this hypothetical member under these hypothetical rules fell to Silver and wanted to get back to Platinum, in which case they would need to earn 180 + 300 XP, less any XP that would have been granted as Surplus (i.e. the 75XP in your 175XP example)

How could it ever be possible to start the year with the same XP balance that you ended it with (other than zero)?????
In any manner Flying Blue decide to allow.

If you're Platinum/Gold/Silver/Ivory with, say, 10XP - you get a soft landing (or stay ivory) and start with 0 in all cases.
If you're Platinum/Gold with, say, 185 XP, you go to/remain Gold and start with 5 XP.
This mechanism is not confirmed. It's extremely like this is how it will work, but it is not confirmed.

(You always lose either everything, or the "threshold amount". There is no mechanism - except when you have nothing to start with - where you can survive a year change without losing any XPs. The benefit is shown in the table as "keep surplus XP". That means XPs have to, by definition, be subracted - otherwise there is no surplus (none of the status levels has a threshold for qualifcation of 0XP!! the one that does - Explorer - does not qualify for a rollover!!))
There is no definition of Surplus XP that I could find. As such I do not consider it confirmed.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How have I gone off on a tangent?

You say:

But this is an actual impossibility. Under NO circumstances EVER does a Silver member need to earn 100 + 180 XP to get to Gold. As soon as a Silver member gains 180XP in a qualification period (up to 13 months), they become Gold.
Sorry. I meant to say:

"But having Silver would mean you would need to earn 180 + 300XP in a row to get back to Platinum, so soft-landing to Gold is better than starting with a rollover and lower status"

(The "hypothetical member" is starting from Platinum. I got my levels and therefore the corresponding thresholds mixed up, but thought that the logic would carry you through...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.