Wiki Posts
Search

Delta metal: FB air miles compensation

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Delta metal: FB air miles compensation

Recently travelled AMS-SEA on a KLM ticket, Delta metal in Business class, 787 aircraft. I am a FB member.
I was unhappy with my seat: It had not been cleaned at all, the FA had to clean it after take off. Buttons on the IFE remote control did not work, and buttons on the seat controls did not work.

I filed a complaint via the KLM web site and have been offered 3k air miles in compensation. This seems low -- what do you think?
It was my very first business flight with KLM, after moving across from BA.

On a positive note, my return journey from PDX-AMS was very good. An A330 that looked to have been refurbished recently.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
3,000 miles seems like a great deal for minor incomveniences for which KL bears no responsibility and could, even if on its own metal, ignore you. This is a small customer service gesture, not compensation.
Old May 19, 2018, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, Often1.
But I think that a non-functioning remote control and seat are not minor inconveniences.
IFE and fully-adjustable seat are a major part of the business class package.

The flight was not on KLM metal. But my understanding is that the correct channel to complain for such a codeshare flight is via KLM.
Old May 19, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
So your business class seat wasn't adjustable at all? In that case 3000 is very low indeed. It doesn't matter who you contact, in Europe DL's customer service is provided by KLM and vice versa in the US.
Old May 19, 2018, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Several of the adjustor buttons for the seat did not work at all.
Similar with the IFE remote control.
"Button fatigue", I suppose.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: FB Platinum | A3 Gold | BA Silver
I think you flew on a Delta 767 since they don't have any 787's
I've received 5000 miles before from having a bad check-in experience so it surprises me that you only got 3000 miles with a defective business class seat. Did they offer to move you at all? You were not able to recline the seat? Then it's very very bad and they should offer you more than just miles in my opinion? Maybe complain directly to Delta?
Old May 19, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
OP has used the right complaint channel, as the flights were KL-coded. And do not worry for KL, they will pass the bill later to DL.
3000 miles seems ridiculous to me. Whatever the class you fly in, you have the right to expect a clean seat/seat area and, especially in J, a fully functional seat. The seat is the most important equipment/amenity of a flight in J class.
Bad cleaning of planes is more and more a problem in my experience (I have more and more dirty tablets, seat pockets with disgusting "things". Recently, on KL BKK-AMS, arriving at my seat, I immediately noticed the very visible used earplugs of the previous occupant of my seat. You can understand that it was eventually forgotten/unnoticed by the cleaner, but the person who has placed the clean headsets in a plastic bag cannot have not noticed them. I didn't make a fuss as the crew took it seriously and cleaned up the place, but still...

HalconBCN likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I also feel 3000 is not reasonable for the unclean seat and defective seat buttons. You pay for business and you expect it to be of a basic standard; for me cleanliness and a properly functioning seat are basic elements of the package.
I would suggest reverting back to customer care and asking for more miles (10,000+) and/or an EMD voucher.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

I have replied to customer care, saying that I feel the offer is very low.
What is an EMD voucher -- this term is not in the Glossary?

Last edited by mikem004; May 21, 2018 at 9:19 am Reason: typo
Old May 21, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

EMD voucher seems to be some kind of credit voucher used by AF/KLM.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
LMGTFY
Old May 22, 2018, 10:13 am
Original Poster

No chance of an EMD voucher.
Customer Care have replied with:
" I am unable to offer any further compensatory or goodwill gesture in respect of this matter ".

Is it worth persisting with this? 3k miles compensation seems very low for a dirty seat, faulty IFE and faulty seat in J class.
By comparison, I once received 5k from BA for a faulty IFE in PE class.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
By way of comparison, the other day I was stranded at MCO due to a broken plane and had to spend a good 3 hours at the airport just to get rebooked. I got a 150 EUR EMD voucher after I sent an e-mail praising their staff and telling them I was displeased with the wait. Surely you must be able to get more out of this than a measly 3000 miles.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

I suppose it doesn't help that I am complaining about a Delta flight via KLM.
Having a 3rd party involved, even a major business partner, complicates matters.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mikem004
I suppose it doesn't help that I am complaining about a Delta flight via KLM.
Having a 3rd party involved, even a major business partner, complicates matters.
no, it’s not in this case. The JV makes the things easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.