Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF staff vote down pay deal. Janaillac resigns. Benjamin Smith new CEO

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by thibderoc
Too bad no one will dare do a rebuttal to SNPL press release, especially the last sentence where they explain that a pay raise will be the best way to prevent the other airlines to do business in France...
A rebuttal is a fact- and data-loaded, lengthy and often tedious to follow line of argument. It obviously has the advantage of being relatively objective (if properly done), very substantiated and emotion-free (if properly done), and it's actually a dialogue and exchange of arguments. But in an environment such as "social unhappiness" in France something like this is difficult to position, because there hardly is any exchange of arguments, more "propagandistic" shouting at "adversaries" (note: not partners with a different point of view) with slogans rather than fact-based arguments, suffering from a lack of self-reflection, with many half truths and incoherent arguments, analyses reduced to headlines and thus becoming fallacies, etc.

The one that I currently find the most amusing is the fundraising that "intellectuals" (no word for that in another language, France is the only country where being intellectual is considered a full time job) do for the striking rail workers. I've heard some interviews with them and their line of argument is "These people do more than drive trains. They transport dreams!". What that has to do with managing the debt of SNCF or with the age of retirement of people selling train tickets. This is the non-quantitative variant of non-sensical blubber, in the same category as the pilots' maths of "we need higher salaries because employer charges are too high". Reminds me of my 5 year old boy who argued that he needed another Carambar because Christmas was still 5 weeks away.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Just the other day, someone asked me where I thought whether AF could disappear. I actually ended up saying "I hope so" - on the basis that as a France-based traveler I want a performant airline that offers me a good and reliable product. With AF, despite some very very significant improvements to their product, the story is still one where the periods of unreliability because of strikes are too frequent and the money to invest into keeping the product up to date is just missing (still many planes with NEV and no money to refurbish them, no money to put WiFi on board, etc). So in a way, I hope for a Swissair ending and Swiss-resurrection. Without the agony inbetween ;-)
If AF were to disappear (=unlikely), in all likelihood it would be replaced by something worse - Joon.
Aside from strikes and terror related events, AF is a profitable airline with a strong premium brand.
What is needed now is the right leadership to turn the ship in the right direction.
q likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
So they strike for higher salaries because they think the company pays too much in taxes and social charges?
Is that what they are saying?

Aren't the pilots saying ("Le mécanisme qui consiste pour le groupe AF/KLM ŕ dévier une partie du flux de ses clients vers la base d’AMS pour éviter les taxes françaises, est la principale cause des moindres résultats d’Air France.") that some passengers are being "encouraged" to book through AMS because of lower Dutch taxes?

Don't they mean corporate tax? Otherwise why would they say "...choix stratégique de la holding AF/KLM qui consiste ŕ ne pas s’opposer aux taxes mais ŕ plutôt utiliser la filiale hollandaise pour les contourner." The Netherlands is widely considered a corporate tax haven, so the pilots could have a valid point.

Not sure how we are being "deviated" but I have certainly noticed that wherever and whenever I want to travel, KLM is almost always cheaper than AF, but sometimes by only a few crowns (2!) so that KLM is almost invariably highlighted as cheapest option.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
If AF were to disappear (=unlikely), in all likelihood it would be replaced by something worse - Joon.
Aside from strikes and terror related events, AF is a profitable airline with a strong premium brand.
What is needed now is the right leadership to turn the ship in the right direction.
I am sorry to disagree. And I really mean it: I feel very sorry about it.
But AIr France has not been a profitable airline. There are ups and downs depending on cyclical external events like world growth/recession and oil price. But if you look at AFKL balance sheets, retained earnings (accumulated profits) are a negative 2 billion.
And that is for AFKL, if you took AF alone, the negative accumulated loss would be much larger.

Whether Air France is a strong premium brand is somewhat suggestive and debatable. There have been some studies, some confidential, but I do not currently have those. There is little doubt that French tend to consider Air France as an excellent brand. But I have never got that impression abroad. I remember the time when Americans called it "Air Chance".
San Gottardo and Xizm like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by ticino
Is that what they are saying?
In a way, yes. Of course with smoke and mirrors. They say that their battle for higher wages puts pressure on the government to lower taxes/charges (NB: on page 1 they mention "charges externes" - which I presume includes both, but would need to check the annual report whether the numbers match). That in turn will then improve the company's profitability. Last sentence: Renoncer au rattrapage aujourd’hui serait assurément le signal que le pillage du marché français peut continuer ŕ l’infini et assombrirait notre avenir pour longtemps. Where "le pillage" is the high level of taxes/charges mentioned in previous paragraphs.

Aren't the pilots saying ("Le mécanisme qui consiste pour le groupe AF/KLM ŕ dévier une partie du flux de ses clients vers la base d’AMS pour éviter les taxes françaises, est la principale cause des moindres résultats d’Air France.") that some passengers are being "encouraged" to book through AMS because of lower Dutch taxes?point.
They also say that, yes.

Don't they mean corporate tax? Otherwise why would they say "...choix stratégique de la holding AF/KLM qui consiste ŕ ne pas s’opposer aux taxes mais ŕ plutôt utiliser la filiale hollandaise pour les contourner." The Netherlands is widely considered a corporate tax haven, so the pilots could have a valid point
Surely they also mean taxes, yes. Again, I only had a very brief look at their annual report 2017 and couldn't find the detailed section which would have revealed whether they are getting a tax credit and on what level they get how much of it (AFKL group, KLM entity, AF entity).

My point remains: saying that only taxes/charges explain the poorer performance of AF is intellectually dishonest; the public us-versus-them attitude against KLM which after all is still part of the same company; pretending that they strike for a greater good - all of that I find strangely surreal.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Not sure it would be replaced by JOON. Remember that JOON is an attempt to do something different than the main AF brand so as to justify a different wage structure. If the main brand falls away there'll be no more need to differentiate from it. You just bring in more competitive cost right from the start.

"AF is a profitable airline" - err, well. It's profitability is very weak. On top of that it is a very indebted company with a weak top line and a high cost structure, in permanent danger to miss industry trends in terms of value proposition for customers, and a rebellious and underproductive workforce. Not really a great company in my eyes.

PS:Just saw that brunos posted at the same time. Apologies for not taking that on board in my post
Xizm likes this.

Last edited by San Gottardo; May 16, 2018 at 9:07 am
Old May 16, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by brunos
The risk is there.
The situation is so complicated that I don't think that anyone can venture a guess at this point.
SNPL has a board meeting on 23 May. Maybe we will know more then.
Thank you brunos.
That's what I thought and I will have to plan accordingly. We are flying out on July 2nd from YVR via CDG to TLS and were going to spend 3 nights there before flying to Germany but I think I might move our flight to Germany by a day or two in case July 2nd is ending up to be a Strike day and the earliest we can fly out of YVR again would be on the 4th since it's not a daily flight.
While it would be to bad to miss the 3 days in Toulouse, my main concern is that we arrive in Toulouse 2 or 3 days later and can't make our flight to Germany which is going to be with a different airline.
Ticket was booked on miles and if I could switch to KLM I would but currently there is nothing available for the same number of miles.
I guess I'll just have to wait until May 23rd and hope for a good outcome.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Some...
Last sentence: Renoncer au rattrapage aujourd’hui serait assurément le signal que le pillage du marché français peut continuer ŕ l’infini et assombrirait notre avenir pour longtemps. Where "le pillage" is the high level of taxes/charges mentioned in previous paragraphs.
I think they are talking about other airlines operating on France when speaking of pillage here
Old May 16, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by thibderoc

I think they are talking about other airlines operating on France when speaking of pillage here
You're right, I misread that.

But then their argument makes even less sense ;-)
Old May 16, 2018, 1:18 pm
q

Rather interesting comments of the ex-CEO published in "La Tribune". Aside from the fact that he messed up ... well, here is a quote from that interview (copy and paste from www.latribune.fr)

"la compagnie [...] qui fonctionne trop souvent encore comme une entreprise publique, trčs verticale et trčs administrative, avec de grands silos. Ce phénomčne s'observe plutôt au sičge, dans les services centraux, les finances, les RH, la direction des opérations aériennes, tous les back offices administratifs, lŕ il n'y a pas eu assez d'évolutions en termes d'organisation, de management (...), de relations sociales, de relations entre les équipes et ŕ l'intérieur des équipes [...] Si le oui l'avait emporté, nous avions le projet que nous comptions lancer trčs vite, de refonder l'organisation et le modčle de management d'Air France"

So why is this no longer relevant? Perhaps because he was alone?
Old May 16, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Some...
You're right, I misread that.

But then their argument makes even less sense ;-)
That’s what I was talking about in my previous post when I was asking for a rebuttal on that sentence. It makes no sense.!!!!!
Except if you consider that : the sooner they have the raise, the sooner the strike ends, and therefore, the sooner AF will stop loosing market shares
Old May 16, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by q
Rather interesting comments of the ex-CEO published in "La Tribune". Aside from the fact that he messed up ... well, here is a quote from that interview (copy and paste from www.latribune.fr)

"la compagnie [...] qui fonctionne trop souvent encore comme une entreprise publique, trčs verticale et trčs administrative, avec de grands silos. Ce phénomčne s'observe plutôt au sičge, dans les services centraux, les finances, les RH, la direction des opérations aériennes, tous les back offices administratifs, lŕ il n'y a pas eu assez d'évolutions en termes d'organisation, de management (...), de relations sociales, de relations entre les équipes et ŕ l'intérieur des équipes [...] Si le oui l'avait emporté, nous avions le projet que nous comptions lancer trčs vite, de refonder l'organisation et le modčle de management d'Air France"

So why is this no longer relevant? Perhaps because he was alone?
Indeed, very interesting.
It confirm many posts here.
AF is a very bureaucratic organization, retaining a state-enterprise culture with competing "silos" (ahqt I call tribes).
Sad that successive CEOs could do little to change it.
But that is not too surprising when most external hirings are done based on personal networks and past experience in State companies/Public administration. Being promoted to top (ot top-middle) management based on your success in AF field operations and without the golden diplomas is frowned upon.

I share San Gottardo's feeling that a dead and reborn AF would be the only realistic solution. But that's not going to happen and we are on the AZ slope, even if there are huge differences in the two situations.
San Gottardo likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Many
+1

Hiring managers from very bureaucratic organizations is not the best way to get rid of your own bureaucratic structure...
San Gottardo and irishguy28 like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by brunos
we are on the AZ slope
I know you made mention of the substantial differences between the 2 cases however AF is still a major player and, despite the recent turmoil, it has a very solid customer base, a robust structure together with an excellent product overall but, most importantly, it is based in a (relatively) financially stronger and politically stabler Country. AZ is no more than a 'regional' player these days (~100 aircraft as opposed to the 200+ back to the days when MXP was their main base, not only that but it feels like yesterday when they still operated with the 747s!) and I think we are all aware of the political influence from the various governments not to mention the current crisis. Unfortunately, though, they both share a particularly strong influence from the trade unions and not realising the potential damage arising from such 'spirals' could swiftly lead to unpredictable and treacherous scenarios, that's probably what your slope stands for.

G
Old May 17, 2018, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I know you made mention of the substantial differences between the 2 cases however AF is still a major player and, despite the recent turmoil, it has a very solid customer base, a robust structure together with an excellent product overall but, most importantly, it is based in a (relatively) financially stronger and politically stabler Country. AZ is no more than a 'regional' player these days (~100 aircraft as opposed to the 200+ back to the days when MXP was their main base, not only that but it feels like yesterday when they still operated with the 747s!) and I think we are all aware of the political influence from the various governments not to mention the current crisis. Unfortunately, though, they both share a particularly strong influence from the trade unions and not realising the potential damage arising from such 'spirals' could swiftly lead to unpredictable and treacherous scenarios, that's probably what your slope stands for.

G
You are quite right, but when I said "AZ slope", I was talking of the AZ many years ago, not today. I guess the AZ slippery slope started twenty years ago. AF has started on a bad slope too and that is not yesterday.

I would also question the "excellent product overall". I agree that it is not bad, but it is far from excellent overall, besides the frequent industrial actions.
No doubt that there have been improvements.
I hate the shape of the seats on domestic flights, but let me focus on longhaul seats;
F : AF now offer very few F seats. The A380 seats are antique (I flew them often). The 77W seats are standard F seats on 777s (plus a curtain). Ground services at CDG are exceptional, but onboard food/wine on the 77Ws are lacking due to the minimum number of pax (max 4 and usually just one or two). FYI I did a trip not long ago.
J : BEST are good seats and found on many airlines. But it is only found on half of AF longhaul planes and NEV is antique non-flat. The game of Russian roulette is infuriating. But AF lacks money to invest..As a frequent J flyer, that rules out AF unless forced to.
PE : A bad seat. All airlines that introduced a shell seat for PE replaced it by a reclining seat.
Y : ten across on 777s is sardine-seating. AF was a precursor and other airlines are following suit recently (CX, BA) .

Please don't get into a comparison with BA. We all agree that they don't offer an "excellent product overall"
AlicorporateUK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.