Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XP after upgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by Goldorak

Thanks. I am definitely interested as I have this case during the summer (personal trip domestic flight with DL booked in Y but purchased a “paid upgrade” to F for about $85)
So I called the DL Reservations and warned the agent that the question might be somehow technical. Basically, I explained to her that after purchasing an initial round-trip ticket to YUL through work as part of a business trip, I paid from my own pocket and via the DL app to “upgrade” from Main Cabin to First Class.

I explained that I was booked initially in the fare classes K and X, but that after “upgrading”, my reservation shows clearly now the letters “A” and “G”, which are typical revenue fare classes for (domestic) First Class. Therefore, I wanted to know which fare class would “push” into AF-FB systems when it comes to miles crediting.

She replied unequivocally that it would be on the basis of the First Class fares, and that the moment I paid for the upgrade, it triggered a change in the fare class.

I insisted by having her confirm that when pulling the info from my e-ticket number, the fare classes that someone would see would be “A/G”, and not the original “K/X”. The reason I asked is because on the upgrade receipt I received by email, it showed the e-ticket number with the previous fare classes K/X, while the transaction associated to the payment for the fare class difference was recorded under another e-ticket like number (meaning, for DL, a 006XXXXXXXXXX). She said not to worry, because under DL’s system, once you’ve paid for the upgrade (which is not a promotional seat upgrade), the new fare is reflected on your ticket.

I have no reason not to believe her, but of course, there is also a chance she might be wrong. The only way to find out is from my actual flight on June 7. I will keep you all posted about how (much) XP I will receive.

Cheers,
-vinnyc

UPDATE:
So I called another Delta agent, and this one went the extra-mile by trying to access the reservation through the Air France systems (didn’t know they could do that). However, the systems were slow tonight, so instead she put me on hold in order to speak with an AF agent. After 5min, she came back to me that although under DL SkyMiles, this would count as a fare class change, under FB apparently, this is considered as a paid seat upgrade and would therefore entitle me to Eco XP.

We are now back to square one, because I am not entirely certain that AF realizes that this is not a seat upgrade like they offer on AF, but a paid fare class difference. The critical point, in my opinion, is whether or not the new fare classes flow into the Record Locator/e-Ticket, which will dictate how AF systems will credit miles & XP.

Once again, only way to know is in a practical case, which is in less than two weeks for me, so will definitely keep you updated.

Last edited by vinnyc; May 25, 2018 at 10:14 pm Reason: Update
Old May 26, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I'll fly SJC-SLC next month originally purchased in Y, but upgraded to F in the same manner (fares are now G / P). So I'm interested as well.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate Platinum for Life/Club 2000, UA MileagePlus
Thanks. I am definitely interested as I have this case during the summer (personal trip domestic flight with DL booked in Y but purchased a “paid upgrade” to F for about $85)
And you will see on your FB account that the miles accrued with your DL flight are "based on distance & booking class" , which is far more generous than the new AFKL accrual scheme based on dollars/euros spent . On the other hand, the XPs that you will get are not eligible towards maintaining our Ultimate status.

Macaron54
Old May 27, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by vinnyc
So I called the DL Reservations and warned the agent that the question might be somehow technical. Basically, I explained to her that after purchasing an initial round-trip ticket to YUL through work as part of a business trip, I paid from my own pocket and via the DL app to “upgrade” from Main Cabin to First Class.

I explained that I was booked initially in the fare classes K and X, but that after “upgrading”, my reservation shows clearly now the letters “A” and “G”, which are typical revenue fare classes for (domestic) First Class. Therefore, I wanted to know which fare class would “push” into AF-FB systems when it comes to miles crediting.

She replied unequivocally that it would be on the basis of the First Class fares, and that the moment I paid for the upgrade, it triggered a change in the fare class.

I insisted by having her confirm that when pulling the info from my e-ticket number, the fare classes that someone would see would be “A/G”, and not the original “K/X”. The reason I asked is because on the upgrade receipt I received by email, it showed the e-ticket number with the previous fare classes K/X, while the transaction associated to the payment for the fare class difference was recorded under another e-ticket like number (meaning, for DL, a 006XXXXXXXXXX). She said not to worry, because under DL’s system, once you’ve paid for the upgrade (which is not a promotional seat upgrade), the new fare is reflected on your ticket.

I have no reason not to believe her, but of course, there is also a chance she might be wrong. The only way to find out is from my actual flight on June 7. I will keep you all posted about how (much) XP I will receive.

Cheers,
-vinnyc

UPDATE:
So I called another Delta agent, and this one went the extra-mile by trying to access the reservation through the Air France systems (didn’t know they could do that). However, the systems were slow tonight, so instead she put me on hold in order to speak with an AF agent. After 5min, she came back to me that although under DL SkyMiles, this would count as a fare class change, under FB apparently, this is considered as a paid seat upgrade and would therefore entitle me to Eco XP.

We are now back to square one, because I am not entirely certain that AF realizes that this is not a seat upgrade like they offer on AF, but a paid fare class difference. The critical point, in my opinion, is whether or not the new fare classes flow into the Record Locator/e-Ticket, which will dictate how AF systems will credit miles & XP.

Once again, only way to know is in a practical case, which is in less than two weeks for me, so will definitely keep you updated.
Thank you so much for having done all those calls. Much appreciated
But, as you said, back to square one and I am not surprised you got those opposite answers. We'll see based on the 1st experiences here.

Originally Posted by Macaron54
And you will see on your FB account that the miles accrued with your DL flight are "based on distance & booking class" , which is far more generous than the new AFKL accrual scheme based on dollars/euros spent . On the other hand, the XPs that you will get are not eligible towards maintaining our Ultimate status.

Macaron54

normally, I will reach my 1800 Ulti XPs (2017-2018) around end June/beg July
Old May 27, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate Platinum for Life/Club 2000, UA MileagePlus

normally, I will reach my 1800 Ulti XPs (2017-2018) around end June/beg July
It will require much more work for me. The "Fly America Act" is hurting me. I am not even sure it is worth bothering...

Macaron54
Old May 27, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Macaron54
It will require much more work for me. The "Fly America Act" is hurting me. I am not even sure it is worth bothering...

Macaron54
Old May 31, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: FB
Heho,
following up on this on the initial part of the thread... I had a AMS>CDG>SFO return trip recently, with CDG>SFO in S on an AF ticket, which i upgraded with miles to business. What AF now did is kick that whole leg out of the XP/Mileage calculation, i.e., i did neither get XP or spend-based miles for that part of my trip, and my itinerary view at both, AF and KL now says "Your trip to Paris", with an outbound AMS>CDG only, and inbound SFO>CDG>AMS.

Note that AMS>CDG was heavily delayed due to fog in AMS, and the FA already told me that I would not make it to my CDG>SFO connection. Due to some Olympic performance i however manged to do the 2F west to 2E M steeple chase in record time and arrived by boarding end, still making my flight...

What I am wondering now is whether I forfeited my XP/Spend-based miles for the S ticket by doing a mileage upgrade... which would sound somewhat odd to me, as I would expect the Miles/XP for the paid part of the ticket to come in. Does somebody else have similar experiences with AF and mileage upgrades on international connections since the change-over?

With best regards,
Tobias
Old May 31, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tfiebig
Heho,
Hi-ho

Originally Posted by tfiebig
What I am wondering now is whether I forfeited my XP/Spend-based miles for the S ticket by doing a mileage upgrade... which would sound somewhat odd to me, as I would expect the Miles/XP for the paid part of the ticket to come in. Does somebody else have similar experiences with AF and mileage upgrades on international connections since the change-over?

With best regards,
Tobias
Pick up the phone and ring Flying Blue - or stop by the FB desk at the AMS Crown Lounge on your next trip - explain that your self-upgraded segment didn't post, and have all the details to hand. They will add the missing miles/XPs.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: FB
Ah, so i did not miss some policy part here. Will bother the nice people in blue when I pass by AMS next then, thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:58 pm

Thank you so much for having done all those calls. Much appreciated
But, as you said, back to square one and I am not surprised you got those opposite answers. We'll see based on the 1st experiences here.
So, with a lot of nervosity initially about how my paid upgrade into First Class would post on my flight LGA-YUL, I am happy to report that my first leg (initially booked in fare class K, upgraded to fare class A), was posted to my FB account with the 15XP!!!!! See screen capture attached.

i am waiting for the return leg (initially booked in fare class X, upgraded to fare class G) to post, but I am very confident it will post the same way.

Mystery solved!

Cheers,
-vinnyc
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:49 am

Good. Well for SJC-SLC and back, getting 2x6 XP isn't bad afterall
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by vinnyc

So, with a lot of nervosity initially about how my paid upgrade into First Class would post on my flight LGA-YUL, I am happy to report that my first leg (initially booked in fare class K, upgraded to fare class A), was posted to my FB account with the 15XP!!!!! See screen capture attached.

i am waiting for the return leg (initially booked in fare class X, upgraded to fare class G) to post, but I am very confident it will post the same way.

Mystery solved!

Cheers,
-vinnyc
Confirmed: the whole trip was credit with 30XP (15XP each leg). Therefore, based on this experience, when you upgrade to (domestic) First Class on Delta (via the app or on the website), as long as you are confirmed to have your upgraded fare class, Flying Blue will credit the Business Class XP (Domestic if within the U.S., or Medium Haul in my case - LGA-YUL).

Attached is the screenshot I just took.

Cheers,
-vinnyc
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:03 pm

Also got full 6 XP on SJC-SLC on Y booking upgraded to F (G fare). Would have though gotten more miles on this short hop if they gave 8 miles / Euro instead of the distance xD
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Hmm, why does this only apply to US domestic?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by KLBGO
Hmm, why does this only apply to US domestic?
It applies to any advance upgrade that involves reticketing. It's just that this is not commonly done in Europe - we normally have either checkin upgrade or advance bidding.
KLBGO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.