Search

XP after upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum, IHG: Spire, SIXT: Platinum
XP after upgrade

Hi guys,

not sure if this questions has been asked before, so please delete thread and refer me if this is the case.

Two weeks ago I upgraded from Economy Comfort (as Platinum member) to Business class from STR-AMS. However I just received 5XP for this leg.
Last week I had an upgrade (first time ever - lucky me) from Economy Comfort to Business from AMS-FRA. However I just received 5XP for this leg.

So I was wondering why I did not receive 10 XP or even 15 XP as the scheme shows on https://flyingblue.nl/nl/programme#xp . Or is it normal if you do not buy business in the first place?

Thanks for your help and regards
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As reported yesterday in the main thread about FB changes, when you take a paid upgrade, you still earn the XPs of your originally paid class. It was the same in the old system. But in the new system, what you have paid for the upgrade is taken into account for your miles earning.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If you buy a special offer to upgrade, such as at check-in, the terms of the upgrade are explained. This usually involves no extra level miles/XPs
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I wonder how my upgraded ticket from Y to domestic F on Delta in June will do (paid upgrade, which changed the fare class to paid domestic F).
Old May 1, 2018, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If you buy a special offer to upgrade, such as at check-in, the terms of the upgrade are explained. This usually involves no extra level miles/XPs
Bolding and underlining is mine. Some old terms are hard to forget
But now, paid upgrades do give extra (regular) miles.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: FB platinium, LX Senator, OW saphirre BA, accor gold, Amex platinium, IHG gold.
No XP for upgrade now, just the miles of the upgrade pay
Old May 1, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
I wonder how my upgraded ticket from Y to domestic F on Delta in June will do (paid upgrade, which changed the fare class to paid domestic F).
that should be counted, I think, as the ticket was upfared as well.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
that should be counted, I think, as the ticket was upfared as well.
Let's hope so. I was able to upgrade my LGA-YUL from Main Cabin to First for almost nothing (my fare class now show 'A' and 'G' respectively for each leg) and for that short trip, I should make 30 XP, which is an incredible way to gain XP under FB (as explained in another post under the "Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018" - I just opened a DL SkyMiles account in order to credit the miles and the MQM for my transcoastal Delta One flights, since they earn XPeanuts under Flying Blue ).

Cheers,
-vinnyc

Last edited by vinnyc; May 24, 2018 at 12:02 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 24, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: FB Gold, MB Plat, Hertz President's Circle
According to KL customer service, XP are awarded according to booking class. Since a seat upgrade is just that (though I realize that if you get SkyPriority and lounge access it may be confusing) there's no additional XP to be gained. Then again, you do get miles for the upgrade spend.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Oh my, oh my, what a much better program FB would be if upgrades also had given you the extra XP points. They could even have charged more for the upgrades than they do today!
Old May 24, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by vinnyc
Let's hope so. I was able to upgrade my LGA-YUL from Main Cabin to First for almost nothing (my fare class now show 'A' and 'G' respectively for each leg) and for that short trip, I should make 30 XP, which is an incredible way to gain XP under FB (as explained in another post under the "Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018" - I just opened a DL SkyMiles account in order to credit the miles and the MQM for my transcoastal Delta One flights, since they earn XPeanuts under Flying Blue ).

Cheers,
-vinnyc
Originally Posted by mpkossen
According to KL customer service, XP are awarded according to booking class. Since a seat upgrade is just that (though I realize that if you get SkyPriority and lounge access it may be confusing) there's no additional XP to be gained. Then again, you do get miles for the upgrade spend.
@mpkossen : you are right about not more XP earning with a paid upgrade. About more miles, this would be correct if the flight is credited as per the new rule (based on fare + extras). But here, a LGA-YUL flight is very likely under DL code, so the old rule applies (based on distance and booking class). And in the old rule, a paid upgrade was not giving more miles (miles were earned as per the booked fare class), unless benefiting from a system glitch.
mpkossen likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I'm not sure if we are properly differentiating here.

A paid upgrade at checkin or so - of course that's not gonna mean more XP.
But a paid upgrade months out is essentially a flight change. That should mean more XP.
vinnyc and KLBGO like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
But a paid upgrade months out is essentially a flight change. That should mean more XP.
Yes, but in that case, we don’t call that a paid upgrade. You just pay a fare difference to change your Y ticket into a J one (like if you had purchased a J ticket from the beginning), and then you earn the XPs of J.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by Goldorak

Yes, but in that case, we don’t call that a paid upgrade. You just pay a fare difference to change your Y ticket into a J one (like if you had purchased a J ticket from the beginning), and then you earn the XPs of J.
That’s probably where the confusion comes from and it seems to be, at the end of the day, a problem with terminology.

U.S. airlines often offer you, when you access your reservations/future trips the option to “upgrade” to the next cabin. In that occurrence, the upgrade is not so much a promotional seat upgrade like at check-in, but essentially consist in paying the fare difference between the initially puchased fare class and the immediately available fare class in the next cabin. As pointed out, everything happens as if you were paying J in the first place.

The “upgrade” I purchased was really cheap because my coach fare class was already high.

I will call DL later on today and clarify with them what type of fare class I am officially in now (my reservation shows ‘A’ and ‘G’, which are typically domestic First fare classes). I will get back to you.

Cheers,
-vinnyc
Old May 25, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by vinnyc
I will call DL later on today and clarify with them what type of fare class I am officially in now (my reservation shows ‘A’ and ‘G’, which are typically domestic First fare classes). I will get back to you.
Thanks. I am definitely interested as I have this case during the summer (personal trip domestic flight with DL booked in Y but purchased a “paid upgrade” to F for about $85)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.