Risky itinerary

Old Apr 19, 18, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt View Post
Thanks for these options!!

Yes unfortunately my job requires me to stay until at least 2AM in NCE that night, leaving early isn't an option.
I think I'll just take an early flight from NCE via AMS to BLL with KLM on the 22nd and I avoid AF with strikes (as much as possible) and it gives me the biggest chance to make it on time. It's just a bit braindead to fly AMS-BLL-AMS just for the sake of it. But hey, it'll grand me 10 XP
If your leisure travel was already approved by your employer for vacation time, then the employer should pay the cost of changing your plane tickets if they later require you to work at a time that interferes with your ticket for the vacation.

It seems like an unusual job requirement to do something until 2 AM, except maybe in Japan.
irishguy28 and Goldorak like this.
Old Apr 19, 18, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It seems like an unusual job requirement to do something until 2 AM, except maybe in Japan.
Who knows, maybe he's a DJ.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 18, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Who knows, maybe he's a DJ.
No Iím not. It sales related.
Old Apr 19, 18, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
The way I read it is that you will fly on 22/23 June:
NCE-AMS
AMS-BLL
BLL-AMS
AMS-CDG
CDG-JFK

And you have to pay for the NCE-BLL and a night in Paris on 22nd.
I understand that you got a super-cheap ticket to fly BLL-JFK-BLL for private travel, but is it worth the effort?
On 22 and 23, DL (with AF codeshare) has two nonstop flights NCE-JFK and they are wide open. Will be frustrating to fly from NCE and see that a nonstop flight departs at the same time and could gt you to JFK 24h earlier.

Last edited by brunos; Apr 19, 18 at 10:17 pm
Old Apr 20, 18, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
The way I read it is that you will fly on 22/23 June:
NCE-AMS
AMS-BLL
BLL-AMS
AMS-CDG
CDG-JFK

And you have to pay for the NCE-BLL and a night in Paris on 22nd.
I understand that you got a super-cheap ticket to fly BLL-JFK-BLL for private travel, but is it worth the effort?
On 22 and 23, DL (with AF codeshare) has two nonstop flights NCE-JFK and they are wide open. Will be frustrating to fly from NCE and see that a nonstop flight departs at the same time and could gt you to JFK 24h earlier.
Yes But AMS-CDG and CDG-JFK is on June 23rd.
I know. I have been considering that. But that will be an expensive endeavor as itíll be an open jaw from NCE via JFK back home to BLL. Probably will cost at least 700 euros.
Old Apr 20, 18, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If your leisure travel was already approved by your employer for vacation time, then the employer should pay the cost of changing your plane tickets if they later require you to work at a time that interferes with your ticket for the vacation.

I go back to this. If your employer approved the holiday, should they not cough up for any additional costs you now face. I know I would do this.
irishguy28, Goldorak and Wunk like this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 1:09 am
Original Poster

I go back to this. If your employer approved the holiday, should they not cough up for any additional costs you now face. I know I would do this.
he didnít approve anything because the trip to JFK commences on June 23rd at 6:35 PM which is outside of working times.
Old Apr 20, 18, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't mean to get into your private life, but unless you are going to JFK for 24 hours, wouldn't you need to let your boss know that you are taking some/all part of the following week off (which presumably would involve some form of approval)? In which case it's perfectly reasonable to expect him to make good the complications you now face getting out.
irishguy28 and Goldorak like this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Well, you are lucky in that your flight from BLL to AMS is relatively late on the Friday, but I don't know if the following may be of use. There is a late flight from NCE to AMS on Transavia on the Thursday night (or you could even use FB miles, though at just Ä55 I think it makes more sense to pay cash) and perhaps you will feel better just having to get from AMS to BLL on the same day that you find yourself returning from BLL to AMS ;-)

I can't imagine your job requiring you to spend the entire night in NCE, if there's a dinner just finish early and/or tell them that you have other plans!

EDIT:: You can find other one-way options from NCE to BLL, such as Ryanair departing NCE at 21:35 with an overnight stop in London Stansted from Ä65 (requires two tickets).

There's also a Norwegian direct flght from NCE to CPH departing at 21:20 for just Ä67
I really don't mean to get into your private life, but unless you are going to JFK for 24 hours, wouldn't you need to let your boss know that you are taking some/all part of the following week off (which presumably would involve some form of approval)? In which case it's perfectly reasonable to expect him to make good the complications you now face getting out.
Sure, I fly on the 26th back from JFK and I am off on these days.
But that Friday is a working day and I don't have off there. And the departure of the JFK trip is in private time. I'm sure there is reason in case i need it. But now it's preliminary.

By the way, I called PSL for this and surprisingly enough they are quite flexible.
Bottom line is that in case there is a delay and i don't make it to BLL on time back home from NCE, the ticket has to be changed according to the fare rules. My ticket isn't changeable so that means a new ticket.

However when there is a strike or cancellation of a flight, AFKL is making sure i will make it to JFK even though that means from another airport or another airline.

So that means i just have to leave as early as possible.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish you good luck and please report back on what happens!
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt View Post
By the way, I called PSL for this and surprisingly enough they are quite flexible.
sorry, but who/what is PSL?
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
sorry, but who/what is PSL?
I believe it means Platinum Service Line.
irishguy28 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: