Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Elite member sponsoring award - status no longer given to passenger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub

I tried to summarise in the thread title something I found difficult to put in a short sentence:

As long as I can remember, whenever I as a status member (Plat) sponsored an award ticket to someone else traveling *without* me, that person still had Platinum status for all the SkyPriority benefits: fast lane, luggage allowance, lounge, early boarding.

This morning I checked in a flight for two friends for whom I had sponsored an award ticket on flights operated by DL, CDG-DTW-MSY. No more SkyPriority on the boarding confirmation, no additional luggage.

Is that a change that has come to us with the remake of FlyingBlue? Or is this the consequence of booking on DL as the operating carrier?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I took a couple of KL award flights this weekend; neither my status nor even a mention of my FFP number appeared on either boarding pass.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I know this didn't work on DL operated flight but only on KL and AF. It would be a big blow if this went away...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I think officially it was only valid on AF/KLM flight.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I think officially it was only valid on AF/KLM flight.
Indeed and I suspect that's always been the case. I remember getting award tickets for the other half on a number of carriers (mostly AZ) and she got denied access to the lounge, no fast track etc. whereas it's never been an issue with AF/KL operated services.

G
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
We all know this has always been a grey zone, as this “benefit”, was never written anywhere. So it can change without notice. But here, in the case described by San Gottardo, I believe the main issue is that DL operates the flights.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Thanks all. It seems then that DL is the issue.

Learned something new.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: FB Platinum
On an award i paid for someone this weekend to Vienna they did indeed have my Plat status on their reservation confirmation and BP. Was indeed on AF.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
As a plat I gifted an award ticket from BCN to MEX via AMS (KL connecting to AM).
For KL the boarding pass was issued with 'Skypriority' only; no status mentioned. He was unable to access the lounge in BCN. Neither could he download an electronic boarding pass. However he was able to preselect one of the comfort seats.
In AMS he tried to print a new BP at the transfer desk but that one did not even mention Sky Priority. So he went to the lounge with the boarding pass issued in BCN. The lounge dragon was puzzled about the random BP but upon looking up the FB number could see it was Plat so he was allowed in. Probably in error.
So indeed, it does seem the benefit has been curtailed or withdrawn, I am sorry to report....
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
As a plat I gifted an award ticket from BCN to MEX via AMS (KL connecting to AM).
For KL the boarding pass was issued with 'Skypriority' only; no status mentioned. He was unable to access the lounge in BCN. Neither could he download an electronic boarding pass. However he was able to preselect one of the comfort seats.
In AMS he tried to print a new BP at the transfer desk but that one did not even mention Sky Priority. So he went to the lounge with the boarding pass issued in BCN. The lounge dragon was puzzled about the random BP but upon looking up the FB number could see it was Plat so he was allowed in. Probably in error.
So indeed, it does seem the benefit has been curtailed or withdrawn, I am sorry to report....

Yeah, happened to us also on a trip to JFK but the ticket always said platinum. I think the receptionists in the none KLM/AF lounges can only see the status of the account, and not the person on the accounts name, hence why he was allowed in.

Little life hack though, is you can get a wallet editor on apple, to add the skypriority banner onto the phone E pass, which will let you into the skypri lain at AMS for sure...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:13 pm

Just out of curiosity, does Elite member sponser work on bookings made through a plat account for someone else, which is none reward?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by George Moore
Just out of curiosity, does Elite member sponser work on bookings made through a plat account for someone else, which is none reward?
No. It only works if the miles of a platinum account are used to book a ticket for someone else. Doesn't work when it's paid in cash.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Yeah, happened to us also on a trip to JFK but the ticket always said platinum. I think the receptionists in the none KLM/AF lounges can only see the status of the account, and not the person on the accounts name, hence why he was allowed in.

Little life hack though, is you can get a wallet editor on apple, to add the skypriority banner onto the phone E pass, which will let you into the skypri lain at AMS for sure...
Good hack!

Sorry, just to clarify: he was NOT allowed into the third party operated lounge in BCN but he WAS able to access the KL lounge in AMS after the dragon looked up my FB number and saw it was plat.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:05 am

Sorry for bringing this up again, but I had the idea that if you book through the platinum hotline for someone else, it is possible they would receive the benefits similar to award sponsorship.

I say this because I’m pretty sure I’ve done this before when we went to Vienna.

Let me know what you think on whether this still works... ) It’ll be a cool life hack if it does
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Sorry for bringing this up again, but I had the idea that if you book through the platinum hotline for someone else, it is possible they would receive the benefits similar to award sponsorship.

I say this because I’m pretty sure I’ve done this before when we went to Vienna.

Let me know what you think on whether this still works... ) It’ll be a cool life hack if it does
The booking channel has 0 impact on benefits one could receive during a trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.