Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

No more "Extra baggage allowance on SkyTeam flights" for Gold?

Old Apr 8, 18, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus

While checking "My miles overview" in the Flying Blue section on the KLM app I saw that "Extra baggage allowance on SkyTeam flights" is missing from the list of "My Gold benefits" but appears on the "Benefits for Platinum members" list. Benefits are listed after Miles overview, Flying Blue level progress, Spend Miles and Your transaction history.

On the Flying Blue website it still says "Extra baggage allowance on SkyTeam flights" under Gold benefits.

Is it a known upcoming worsening of Gold benefits? A mistake (wishful thinking) on the KLM app? It's also gone from the Air France app. I have an upcoming intra-European flight and all segments still say "+1 baggage item (Flying Blue Gold Advantage)" but I guess it can only mean that it will not be enforced retroactively. On my last flight a couple of days ago I was surprised I couldn't see the usual ""+1 baggage item (Flying Blue Gold Advantage)" when checking in. This wasn't the original ticket bought some weeks ago, we changed the return a few days ago from AF to KLM because of the AF strikes.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I could find it.

Last edited by ticino; Apr 8, 18 at 12:35 am
Old Apr 8, 18, 10:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
It's still on the Air France site that Gold has extra baggage: https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...lying-blue.htm
Old Apr 8, 18, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TographerE View Post
It's still on the Air France site that Gold has extra baggage: https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...lying-blue.htm
Yes, but not on the Air France dashboard:

MY GOLD BENEFITS

• Earn 7 Miles for each euro spent
  • Free access to SkyTeam lounges worldwide with a guest
  • SkyPriority: priority access throughout the airport
  • 50% discount on seat options
  • Free selection of standard seats
Nothing else.
Old Apr 8, 18, 11:00 am

Just logged in and you're right. Seems strange though that it's still on the benefits page.

Just bought a ticket to Budapest in Light and when I called FB they specifically stated that as Gold you get your luggage. This is also on the fares on the AF page.

And it's in the official FB page: https://www.flyingblue.fr/fr/program...-tier-benefits)
Old Apr 8, 18, 11:01 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by ticino View Post
Yes, but not on the Air France dashboard:

MY GOLD BENEFITS

• Earn 7 Miles for each euro spent
  • 50% discount on seat options
  • Free selection of standard seats
Nothing else.
That indeed is a curious omission.
My dashboard has it...

My Platinum benefits

• Earn 8 Miles for each euro spent
  • Free access to seat options
  • Extra baggage allowance on SkyTeam flights

If they were going to shake up the baggage allowance, a week ago would have been the perfect time to implement it, but surely they would have mentioned it somewhere... And at least updated their websites to reflect the fact?
Old Apr 8, 18, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Solevita View Post
If they were going to shake up the baggage allowance, a week ago would have been the perfect time to implement it, but surely they would have mentioned it somewhere... And at least updated their websites to reflect the fact?
You must be quite new to FB then

P.S.: whilst your assumptions make perfect sense, FB is however all but new to such sudden (or rather, ‘hidden’, shall I say) changes

G
Old Apr 8, 18, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
It is mentioned on the FB site.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:04 pm

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Odd. Isn't this a Skyteam Elite+ benefit anyway? Other airlines don't really know the difference between a Gold and Plat card - they only look at the Elite+ level (which is the same for both).
Old Apr 15, 18, 5:15 pm

Only first piece of check-in baggage free

[QUOTE=ticino;29615000]While checking "My miles overview" in the Flying Blue section on the KLM app I saw that "Extra baggage allowance on SkyTeam flights" is missing from the list of "My Gold benefits" but appears on the "Benefits for Platinum members" list. Benefits are listed after Miles overview, Flying Blue level progress, Spend Miles and Your transaction history.

On the Flying Blue website it still says "Extra baggage allowance on SkyTeam flights" under Gold benefits.

Is it a known upcoming worsening of Gold benefits? A mistake (wishful thinking) on the KLM app? It's also gone from the Air France app. I have an upcoming intra-European flight and all segments still say "+1 baggage item (Flying Blue Gold Advantage)" but I guess it can only mean that it will not be enforced retroactively. On my last flight a couple of days ago I was surprised I couldn't see the usual ""+1 baggage item (Flying Blue Gold Advantage)" when checking in. This wasn't the original ticket bought some weeks ago, we changed the return a few days ago from AF to KLM because of the AF strikes.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I could find it.[/QU

It seems that you're right, I received my new Gold card this week and the letter that accompanies the card states that the first piece of check-in baggage will be free, this means that Gold members won't get additional free check-in baggage in the future
Old Apr 16, 18, 12:53 pm

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
So we go from an additional bag, to a 1 bag policy? I'm pretty sure that the Gold cover letter included that we get one bag for free.

Would be strange though, as it discourages buying a classic fare..
Old Apr 16, 18, 12:55 pm

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a light fare which for any non-elite members doesn't include a bag.

When I went to check-in this morning I could add on hold luggage for no extra cost. So for now all seems fine but who knows what they'll do in the future!
Old Apr 16, 18, 1:03 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Elites and Elite+s still get 1 additional bag compared to what is stated on the ticket, nothing has changed in that regard.

On the pages with 'short' descriptions of Gold, Platinum, only Platinum mentions the extra luggage allowance, but if you visit the traditional long table comparing benefits of all levels then only Explorer doesn't have the extra bag. The fact that the page states Explorer and not Ivory indicates it's been updated and applies to the new system.
Old Apr 18, 18, 12:36 am
Original Poster

So I called Flying Blue, was told it was a mistake and can now see that it says "Extra baggage allowance on SkyTeam flights" under My GOLD benefits in the both the Air France and KLM apps.

Was a bit suspicious at first when I started this thread as I have seen AF/KLM/FB in the past introducing changes in a (in my opinion) non-transparent manner.
Old Apr 22, 18, 10:25 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Gold, Hilton Honors Platinum
I found out the hard way when FB removed another benefit for Gold members. Within Europe I could always check in 2 bags up to 23kg, however since luggage is standard not included anymore with any flight (welcome to 'light' fares), as gold member within Europe only 1 bag is included. Unless. of course, your fare includes 1 bag, then you can check in one additional bag. Had to pay EUR 70 as I always checked in two bags, but afterwards KLM Customer Care refunded me the fee. Mainly because I had a screenshot attached from KLM mobile app saying I could check in two bags for free. Below the explanation from KLM (translated from Google Translate);

Luggage policy
The Flying Blue arrangement that standard two pieces of checked baggage can be included free of charge has been changed as of April 1, 2017, which means that taking extra baggage is no longer free of charge. KLM has changed its tariff structure for Economy Class travel within Europe and North Africa. The modified structure provides a choice of three ticket options: Light, Standard and Flex. These options give you the opportunity to tailor your trip even better to your personal wishes. You also save even more Flying Blue Award Miles even faster. The luggage rules for intercontinental flights remain unchanged for the time being.

Light
• Airline ticket
• + drinks and meals / snacks
• + hand luggage
• + the possibility to change your ticket to another flight or date for a fee of € 70 (plus the price difference when only Light tickets are available at a higher rate)
• No hold baggage, but as a Flying Blue Elite member you are entitled to the free transport of one piece of checked baggage of 23 kg.

Standard (rate Light + € 50)
• Airline ticket
• + hand luggage
• + one piece of checked baggage of 23 kg
• + the possibility to change your ticket to another flight or date on payment of € 70 (plus the price difference when only Standard tickets are available at a higher rate)
• You can use your Flying Blue privileges for the free transportation of any second piece of hold baggage.

Flex (rate Light + € 139)
• Airline ticket
• + hand luggage
• + one piece of checked baggage of 23 kg
• + change free to another flight / date
• + free cancellation before departure
• + right to SkyPriority
• + the possibility to choose an earlier or later flight on the same day at check-in (only possible when traveling with hand baggage only)
• You can use your Flying Blue privileges for the free transportation of any second piece of hold baggage.

Light, Standard and Flex also apply to Air France's European flights. From now on there is therefore one tariff structure for KLM and Air France.

With effect from 8 February 2017, Flying Blue Elite participants are entitled to the free transport of a maximum of one piece of hold baggage. This baggage allowance can be added to the exemption that is included with the chosen ticket. For example:

Light
Ticket entitles you to only carry-on baggage
Flying Blue Elite entitles you to one piece of hold baggage (23 kg)
Total hand luggage + one piece of hold baggage

Standard
Ticket entitles to carry-on baggage + one piece of hold baggage (23 kg)
Flying Blue Elite entitles you to one piece of hold baggage (23 kg)
Total hand luggage + two pieces of hold baggage

The adjusted baggage allowance applies to tickets that are issued on or after February 8, 2017.
I see little reason to qualify for Gold again this year with KLM. Instead of 30 legs/ bounds I now need 36 and the change of baggage policy. Flying Blue members seems to be on the receiving end these days.
Old Apr 22, 18, 4:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus
I don't think the baggage policy ever changed. As far as I remember, it was always stated "one extra luggage" for free, which clearly means that if your fare doesn't include a checked luggage, you'll still be able to have one for free.
af fp, Goldorak, Enthilza and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: