Upgrading to La Premiére

Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dsched
Is this the infamous Aeromiles saga?? 🤔
​​​​​​​No; strangely given that we are in a thread talking about AF P the error fare referenced was actually also in AF P.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
I spoke with one of the managers of La Premiere today.
It was kind of revealing how less they are aware of their own policies and logic.

First important point is that I was not supposed to get that offer at all. It is not possible to get an offer to be upgraded to La Premiere from an Y fare ticket at all, also not if you have used miles to upgrade yourself via the Platinum Service Line or FB help desk with miles (or money)from Y to J. So the agents at the check in made a mistake. They are only allowed and able to offer upgrades to La Premiere for Platinum members that purchased a J fare ticket and he also said that not all J fare classes are eligible for an upgrade offer. Deeply discounted J fares are not. Even though a Gold (or less) FB member had a full fare J ticket, they will not offer an upgrade with money or miles.

Second, the manager was not aware that an one way award ticket from CDG to JFK in La Premiere costs 200.000 miles. He thought it’d cost 440.000 so he wasn’t understanding why I thought that 190.000 was way too much for an upgrade from a paid J fare to La Premiere. I asked him: why pay a J fare and an additional 190.000 miles while it’s possible to get an award ticket for 200.000 and “only” 261 euro in taxes?

His argument was that you don’t get miles on an award ticket and that there is more availability on J to La Premiere upgrades than award tickets. These have a different fare code.

But it he admitted that it wouldn’t be interesting to do so if there is an award ticket available.

So bottom line is that an award ticket is the least expensive way to fly La Premiere except when there is an error fare and you are lucky.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt
They are only allowed and able to offer upgrades to La Premiere for Platinum members that purchased a J fare ticket and he also said that not all J fare classes are eligible for an upgrade offer. Deeply discounted J fares are not. Even though a Gold (or less) FB member had a full fare J ticket, they will not offer an upgrade with money or miles.
I was offered a paid upgrade from a low J fare (Z) to La P a couple of weeks ago. My wife (Silver) also received the offer. The price was far too high to be tempting.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt;29656500[b
]I spoke with one of the managers of La Premiere today.[/b]
It was kind of revealing how less they are aware of their own policies and logic.

First important point is that I was not supposed to get that offer at all. It is not possible to get an offer to be upgraded to La Premiere from an Y fare ticket at all, also not if you have used miles to upgrade yourself via the Platinum Service Line or FB help desk with miles (or money)from Y to J. So the agents at the check in made a mistake. They are only allowed and able to offer upgrades to La Premiere for Platinum members that purchased a J fare ticket and he also said that not all J fare classes are eligible for an upgrade offer. Deeply discounted J fares are not. Even though a Gold (or less) FB member had a full fare J ticket, they will not offer an upgrade with money or miles.

Second, the manager was not aware that an one way award ticket from CDG to JFK in La Premiere costs 200.000 miles. He thought it’d cost 440.000 so he wasn’t understanding why I thought that 190.000 was way too much for an upgrade from a paid J fare to La Premiere. I asked him: why pay a J fare and an additional 190.000 miles while it’s possible to get an award ticket for 200.000 and “only” 261 euro in taxes?

His argument was that you don’t get miles on an award ticket and that there is more availability on J to La Premiere upgrades than award tickets. These have a different fare code.

But it he admitted that it wouldn’t be interesting to do so if there is an award ticket available.

So bottom line is that an award ticket is the least expensive way to fly La Premiere except when there is an error fare and you are lucky.
What do you mean by "manager of La Premiere"?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by brunos
What do you mean by "manager of La Premiere"?
i filed a compliant because I think it is ridiculous to make a “special” offer to Platinum members that is actually higher than the regular award rates that are high enough for themselves.

So I got a phone call from the manager of La Premiere. That is how he introduced himself. An English man, based in London.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt

from the manager of La Premiere. . An English man, based in London.
Makes pefect sense
af fp, irishguy28 and pdeut like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Does anyone know the typical paid upgrade price from J to P for BEY - CDG flights?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Does anyone know the typical paid upgrade price from J to P for BEY - CDG flights?
It varies.

(Change fee associated with your ticket) + (Fare difference between [the fare already paid] and [the current P fare for your flight])

In other words - almost certainly more expensive than having paid for P outright in the first place!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
Frankly speaking, I don't understand what it is all about...

I was op-uped once from paid Z to F because of overbooking and didn't find it particularly exclusive. Yes, they had a table spoon of sturgeon caviar as a starter, but when I am in Moscow, I go to the fish market and buy 100g of even better stuff from Siberia for as little as 45EUR -- and I can even take it on the plane if I want to! The rest of the F meal wasn't that impressive -- Alitalia serves better food in J. The seat wasn't exceptionally comfortable either and it was noisy in the cabin (it was B777-200). When I fly J, I sleep and don't care too much about the quality of service but do care about the comfort of the seat and the noise level in the cabin.

My opinion is that paying 200k or 440k miles or $2-3k for 20g of caviar, a few glasses of expensive booze, a wider seat + PJ/white sheets, and lounge access at CDG is a waste of money and miles.

P.S.: fully agree with the statement that one shouldn't compare BA and AF first class products. BA's F is comparable to J on QR or QF and is just slightly better than Alitalia J.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: EK Platinum, FB Ulti PFL, Marriott Ambassador, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by fly747first
Recently I upgraded my business class ticket CDG-DXB (D fare bucket) to La Premiere for 60.000 points
Not BEY - CDG but pretty close...
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chil
it was B777-200
With an F cabin?

Johan
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:25 am

I got an offer to uograde JFK-CDG for EUR 1700.

I cannot afford it but if I were super-loaded I would take it because it is nice there. If you are suoer-loaded and you love luxury it is a product for you. Or for a once-in-a-lifetime treat. Otherwise business is usually very nice.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chil
when I am in Moscow, I go to the fish market and buy 100g of even better stuff from Siberia for as little as 45EUR
I suspect that the prospect of having to go first to Moscow and source some caviar from a market before boarding one's flight from CDG to LAX might be regarded by some flyers as perhaps a little inconvenient.

My opinion is that paying 200k or 440k miles or $2-3k for 20g of caviar, a few glasses of expensive booze, a wider seat + PJ/white sheets, and lounge access at CDG is a waste of money and miles.
TBH, I suspect that over 99% of flyers would probably regard that level of expense for a flight on even the best seat on a scheduled airline that you can think of as a "waste of money and miles." Flying in F is not and never has been about value for money so it is somewhat meaningless to judge it on such a yardstick.

Clearly, for me, paying for flying F on AF would not begin to make sense given my financial circumstances. However,if my income was 100 times what it is, then it would be a different story and I would probably fly F and I do not think that I would ask myself whether it was value for money nor care particularly about the price of caviar on Moscow street markets.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
However,if my income was 100 times what it is, then it would be a different story and I would probably fly F and I do not think that I would ask myself whether it was value for money.
But then again, you get plenty of affluent people who are very stingy by nature (which may go some way to explaining how they got rich in the first place).

Besides, above a certain price point, especially when two or more pax are traveling together, a private jet may become an attractive option. And those who really never need to consider the price of anything will probably already own one of those.

Johan
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
But then again, you get plenty of affluent people who are very stingy by nature (which may go some way to explaining how they got rich in the first place).
Indeed but that particular demographic would not fly in F anyway (at normal F prices) whether on AF or anybody else, precisely because F never represents "value for money".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.