Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

AF/KL could bid to buy Air India with Jet Airways and DL

Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

Everything is in the title. I am in the opinion that they should stay away from AI which is a very chronically sick old airline, but it’s true that Jet would become very powerful in India. It would mean that AI would leave *A and, for sure, LH and UA would not be very happy about this.
Interestingly, the article do not mention EY at all, while they still own a good part of Jet ?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Everything is in the title. I am in the opinion that they should stay away from AI which is a very chronically sick old airline, but it’s true that Jet would become very powerful in India. It would mean that AI would leave *A and, for sure, LH and UA would not be very happy about this.
Interestingly, the article do not mention EY at all, while they still own a good part of Jet ?
... wow, I thought that the only bad rumor around was the one about AZ, which compared to the AI one... well I'm not sure is that bad anymore ;-) Interesting.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
AI has been on the brink of collapse for as long as I remember. The only thing it has going for it is that unlike AZ, it's easier for the government to keep it running.

Isn't EY actually divesting of Jet at this time? Might be the reason AFKL are looking at India actually - could be a good opportunity to snag a ticket into the market.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I am in the opinion that they should stay away from AI which is a very chronically sick old airline
I tend to agree and I will add that I’m not sure this would be a good deal even in case they (as in AI) would become ‘big’ in India, which is not a rich market itself so, unless they’re playing the same silly game which gave EY quite a few troubles, it wouldn’t make a great deal of sense.

G
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Isn't EY actually divesting of Jet at this time?
So the rumours go. Jet hasn't been as responsive to Etihad as they originally expected/hoped, and Etihad could probably do with the money.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Andy82
the only bad rumor around was the one about AZ, which compared to the AI one
AI doesn’t operate from Linate... Northern Italy is amongst the biggest markets for all the big players (including BA/LH and indeed AF/KL — take a look at the number of daily flights to LHR/FRA/MUC/CDG/AMS from LIN/MXP), reason why they are considering their options with AZ (only in terms of Sky Team this time around, though) — and in light of the potential interest from LH, which would obviously ‘convey’ even more passengers to FRA/MUC. And on that note, back on topic

G
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF was desperate to reduce its debt level, and now it wants to take more?

Also hard to believe that India would accept to have only one private airline with significant foreign control. But maybe that's the plan.
And a four-way partnership (old AI, Jet, DL and AF) with so many different cultures is a recipe for failure..
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Things are going well for AF/KL now, so they should definately do some hazardious buy-outs and take on more debt.... Hah!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Many
SQ is also open to bidding for AI.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Seems like this is not the case.

“Airlines interested in Air India include Etihad, IAG, SIA and Lufthansa,” said a person directly briefed on the ongoing discussions.

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/63724993.cms

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.