Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Further changes: Origin and destination pricing as of June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Further changes: Origin and destination pricing as of June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by bodory
74k is not that bad when you consider the entry price for J at 64k from any US airport.
Thanks

Interesting - does this 64k entry price only for flight departing from US airport? or both departing/arriving?

so for example, would the PPT-LAX flight entry price would also be 64K?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
I've just randomly checked SFO-PRG in J and it costs only 61k miles on some dates. That's saving of 1.5k miles against the old scheme, or 3k miles for the whole round trip. New scheme FTW!!! .... nah

EDIT: There actually are dates where each way costs only 53k miles!!!! That's actually pretty good (less 19k miles for RT) ^
looks like they just raise the price to 66500 miles overnight without warning.... (Hi Delta).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
One might think AF will price the award to their own frequent flyers at the lowest possible price, i.e. 90k FB miles?

Nope. They ask for 126k and 6 times the amount in taxes.

How infuriating is that?
For me, they charge a special, lower rate
Attached Images  
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: Many

Yes, 109k now.

Very dynamic pricing.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:41 pm

Yes, 109k now.

Very dynamic pricing.
The speed they change the price is way more "dynamic" than delta. (note the sarcasm)
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:04 am

Hey guys, I know this question has been asked before but couldn't find an answer. I'm looking to book an award ticket, and as others mentioned, the dynamic pricing is VERY dynamic. Like it changed 3 times in the past week already and this is for travel next February...

Basically it went from 113k to 144k. If I book it at 144k, and it goes down to 113k again in the next weeks or months, can someone confirm if I can call up FB, pay the 45 euros fee and they can refund the difference? Or can I simply cancel my ticket (again with the 45 euros fee) and make the new booking? Or do they have rules in place to prevent people to do that?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Klems
Hey guys, I know this question has been asked before but couldn't find an answer. I'm looking to book an award ticket, and as others mentioned, the dynamic pricing is VERY dynamic. Like it changed 3 times in the past week already and this is for travel next February...

Basically it went from 113k to 144k. If I book it at 144k, and it goes down to 113k again in the next weeks or months, can someone confirm if I can call up FB, pay the 45 euros fee and they can refund the difference? Or can I simply cancel my ticket (again with the 45 euros fee) and make the new booking? Or do they have rules in place to prevent people to do that?
There's no rule to prevent that. But if you have enough miles, I strongly recommend you to book at the new (lower) price and then cancel your original ticket paying the change fee. Of course, make sure your original booking is not a promo award, as those are non-modifiable and non-cancellable.
Klems likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I strongly recommend you to book at the new (lower) price and then cancel your original ticket paying the change fee.
Thanks @Goldorak much appreciated. And thanks for the quoted sensible advice, I was wondering about that and it's probably safer that way indeed!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks @Goldorak much appreciated. And thanks for the quoted sensible advice, I was wondering about that and it's probably safer that way indeed!
You are very welcome
much better if you can do it like that, because you would get mad if you first cancel your booking paying EUR45 change fee and rebook...at the same price
Klems likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
Hi all, I am interested in booking a ticket for someone else for summer 2019 using my miles. A couple of questions:
1a. Is it still the case that the status of the miles holder will be applied, i.e. all STE+ benefits even if the other person doesn't have a FB account?
1b. By summer 2019 I will have dropped to Gold, will the ticket still be handled as if I was Platinum if booked while still Platinum? This is for example relevant for picking / changing seats in Y that usually cost a fee.
2. In case I want to cancel the booking in a few months, do I simply call the hotline, pay the 45€ fee and get my miles and the taxes back? (Reason why I am asking this: this far out the purchase prices are very high, but usually they are half of what they cost today 2-3 months before flight date, so maybe I'd rather pay instead of using the miles).

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
1a. Good question. I know that some of the benefits show up, not sure about all.
1b. No, when the time comes to pick seats, it will check your FB level at that time, so it's best to pick those seats now. Not sure if those selections will stick (I can't see why not, though) but if you wait until you go to Gold, it'll cost you.
2. Not 100% sure on this so will defer this to others.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by HeartFist
2. In case I want to cancel the booking in a few months, do I simply call the hotline, pay the 45€ fee and get my miles and the taxes back? (Reason why I am asking this: this far out the purchase prices are very high, but usually they are half of what they cost today 2-3 months before flight date, so maybe I'd rather pay instead of using the miles).

Thanks in advance!
Yes, should be no problem cancelling

Originally Posted by caliform
1a. Good question. I know that some of the benefits show up, not sure about all.
1b. No, when the time comes to pick seats, it will check your FB level at that time, so it's best to pick those seats now. Not sure if those selections will stick (I can't see why not, though) but if you wait until you go to Gold, it'll cost you.
Generally you get all the benefits as the BP & reservation will indicate Platinum, also the status doesn't update automatically so it's very likely that OP will be able to choose all seats for free at least until check-in.
Other than seat selection, there isn't really any difference in benefits between Gold and Platinum
HeartFist likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:08 am

I'm looking to book an award ticket, and as others mentioned, the dynamic pricing is VERY dynamic. [...]
Basically it went from 113k to 144k.
To follow up on this, the price of this ticket has been changing every day, in weird ways. After the price jumped to 144k, I called up FB and put a hold on it for 72 hours, and then checked a couple of times a day. First day it went from 144k to 143.5k, then to 143k, and this morning it is at 142.5k .
I wonder what would happen if I released the hold I have. I mean at this point I'll probably call today, put the 142.5k ticket on hold for 72 hours, release the 144k ticket and see what happens again in the next few days...
If it keeps dropping by 500 miles every day I should definitely wait a couple of months to book though .
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:58 pm

I am in this dynamic pricing situation now with 3 tickets I redeemed for flight in a few months MAN-CDG-DXB in J, redeemed for 57.5k miles per person (172.5k total) and then 3 days later price on exact same flights has now dropped to 52k miles each per person (156k total). Considering whether to rebook at new cost and then cancel original tickets in order to get back 16.5k miles but it will cost 3 x EUR 45 (Eur 135) to do so.

Guess it depends on what value you put on FB miles.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
Thanks caliform and Ditto, I booked the award (my first ever and it's not even for myself ) and it seems like all Platinum benefits are connected to the ticket, I was able to select the seat free of charge.

To contribute a little to the thread, I think the 29,000 miles they asked for MEX-CDG-NUE in Y oneway are a fair miles amount. Interestingly the amount per direction did not change if I choose a round-trip or oneway. If we followed the logic "price of ticket = roughly miles amount" then I would have to pay a lot more miles for the full flexible Y ticket I have to buy with cash when selecting an TATL oneway. I decided to partially decrease the miles amount by paying more, with 100 miles less costing 1 EUR more. I was able to choose between 36 EUR more for 3,600 miles less and 72 EUR more for 7,200 less.

This ratio of 1 cent per mile cannot be beaten by either buying miles (even with 100% bonus they cost minimum 1,57 cent per mile) or through miles earning when flying (of course in the latter case you have the benefit of actually getting the service you paid for, going from A to B).

Now crossing my fingers that cancelling would work as well in case the cash price for a roundtrip MEX-NUE-MEX is reasonable in a couple of months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.