Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Further changes: Origin and destination pricing as of June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Further changes: Origin and destination pricing as of June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: FB Platinum
I used up my meagre stock of miles, accrued over 2 years, last month on J flights to and around Kenya (AF and KQ, January 2019) ahead of this change. Award availability was quite poor at the time. Checking today, the mile price has risen by ~10% for the international flights, but dropped by ~10% for internal KQ flights. Award availability for the international flights looks much better. Not sure if any of this is related to the 1st June changes, but there certaily isn't a universal price hike going on.
With current earning rates, I would not be able to accrue even half of this amount of miles despite flying enough to maintain Plat over the next 2 years. Miles earning seems rather pointless under this new regime.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Booked NYC-AMS-DUS J last night for 53K. It was 62.5K earlier this week. However it looks like Delta J NYC-FRA flight and it is least 70K (or even higher with a connection) whereas previously it was 62.5K.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:46 am

Without having to go through countless posts (sorry, I didn't get chance to get up to speed with the very latest on Flying Joke/Blue), is it fair to say that people like myself regularly ending up with a stash of miles to spend (and happily 'burning' them) will by far be the most notable 'victims' of the latest developments?

G
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
I don't fully agree because in my case this change is really bad. I qualify to platinum on segments but mostly Y flights. My miles stash is very low compared to many people here and it does not grow that quickly. Before this change I was usually able to play with the dates to find award tickets even during high demand period at reasonable prices but now it is far more difficult and the search feature they removed is just a pain in the....
I know I am probably not the target for FB as I don't bring that much at the end but this is affecting many people like me who travel a lot on a lower budget and in Y.
I guess everyone is in a way "badly" affected buy this change.

Last edited by newflyer27; Jun 1, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Actually if you travel a lot in cheap Y usually, the earning side might be positive for you. 200 EUR tickets including 50 EUR of taxes now earns 600 miles or even 1200 miles as platinum, before it was more like 376 miles or double as platinum if flights are direct.
On the burning side, we are all loosers, even for those who fly on 5000 EUR long haul biz tickets: there is no way you can plan on getting one award or the other, even if the search feature was still activated. The amounts of miles required vary so much, there is no way to plan how much an award would cost, and work your way to earning the miles with flying, amex, hotels, promos etc. since by the time you get the miles needed, the award levels might have changed dramatically. Perhaps if we burn on partners only the levels remain stable and I am not even sure how that works.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: FB Gold
Looking at my potential spending, AMS-AKL seems to have increased from 125000 to 144000 for a one way in C, with less availability shown, but Y in Europe seems cheaper with plenty of AMS-EDI for 6000 or BIO for 8000.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)

The inflation continues. Miles prices have gone slightly up again over night
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:56 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I expected the award miles to reflect the fare price in Euros by now. But this is not the case at all. Looking at a few different flights (same class, same route) the value per mile (Fare price / required miles) varies greatly. For economy I see the value per mile between 0.3 to 0.6 cents.

But even stranger - there are multiple flights per day. In business the fare for each of these flights is the same (576 euro per leg). However the miles required for an award is not the same, and differ about 15K between the flights.

To me this indicates that there is in fact no direct relationship between price in euros and price in miles. They are still doing shenanigans to the award prices. Just that now they have carte blance to increase prices wherever they see fit.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Zembla

How could this could not possibly be a glitch?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by ranskis
Actually if you travel a lot in cheap Y usually, the earning side might be positive for you. 200 EUR tickets including 50 EUR of taxes now earns 600 miles or even 1200 miles as platinum, before it was more like 376 miles or double as platinum if flights are direct.
On the burning side, we are all loosers, even for those who fly on 5000 EUR long haul biz tickets: there is no way you can plan on getting one award or the other, even if the search feature was still activated. The amounts of miles required vary so much, there is no way to plan how much an award would cost, and work your way to earning the miles with flying, amex, hotels, promos etc. since by the time you get the miles needed, the award levels might have changed dramatically. Perhaps if we burn on partners only the levels remain stable and I am not even sure how that works.
your example is not applying to me at all but even if it did do you really think 200 miles more per flight is gonna increase my stash of miles?! Actually in most of my European flights that I usually buy less than 200 euros, I am now getting less miles than before. Let's not even talk about my LH flights which drastically decreased in terms of miles earning, almost halved compared to before.
​​​​​​Anyway., as you said we are almost all losers I guess, each one In a different way.
As for the search feature that used to show the calendar, i am o think it was a great tool to see the whole month awards and plan accordingly if you have flexible dates. I hope they put it back quickly.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:13 am

Double post by error.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Zembla

but you have 9 pax, so that’s a bargain
Zembla, Xizm and newflyer27 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Jeune, BAEC Blue, Eurobonus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Nice Airport Club Airport Premier Gold

Here's an interesting quirk that I found in my research of the new pricing structures. I've always found that FB awards on DL metal have been really good value for me because Delta doesn't charge fuel surcharges on Flying Blue tickets.

Though I noticed that since the new "system" has been implemented, the tax bill for Delta-only flights ex-USA has gone down to just €8.66 from about €20 ish. Sure they require more miles than AF or KL metal but 8 Euros versus 50 to 100 I'm quite intrigued... To an extent of course 😅

Last edited by roimaaf; Jun 2, 2018 at 7:38 am
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (platinum)
Please also note an other negative impact. Award flights can not cancelled any longer (used to be possible for 45€). Ticket change remains possible but in the same award zone ��
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAURENTD
Please also note an other negative impact. Award flights can not cancelled any longer (used to be possible for 45€). Ticket change remains possible but in the same award zone ��
Don’t think that is correct. Only monthly Promo awards are not changeable.

https://www.flyingblue.us/en/flights/reward-tickets
  • You may cancel or make certain modifications to a reward ticket for a fee of €45 per ticket and per transaction. Before departure, you may modify the route (within the same zone), the date, the flight number, and/or the SkyTeam partner airline. Once the trip has started, you may only modify the date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.