Free cancellation in Europe before 24h?

Old Feb 17, 18, 11:22 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Switzerland
Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 262
Free cancellation in Europe before 24h?

I've booked a light fare flight this morning - MXP-CDG-LHR and back, but I realized after a few hours that the day of the return I should as well be in Rome in the afternoon, and with the times I've booked it was impossible. My flight was around 150CHF in fare and another 100CHF in taxes, so I assumed the only thing I could get back is those taxes. I called the Platinum service line and the operator told me that she could completely cancel my flight and get me a full refund because I called before 24h. I've never heard of anything like this except for US flights so I was very surprised. Is this an exceptional thing or is there an explicit regulation about this possibility?

Now I've just seen my reservation disappear from AFKL websites but I did not receive any confirmation via email, and my card has been charged.
Andy82 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 18, 11:33 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: amsterdam/nl
Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Posts: 215
Best contact their fb team asap. Actually had a double booking today, same flight payment did not seem to work but had 2 reservations in my system. Contacted them and one of two flights was remove within 20 minutes. absolutely no questions great service
splflyer is offline  
Old Feb 17, 18, 11:37 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Switzerland
Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by splflyer View Post
Best contact their fb team asap. Actually had a double booking today, same flight payment did not seem to work but had 2 reservations in my system. Contacted them and one of two flights was remove within 20 minutes. absolutely no questions great service
I actually told the operator to cancel my flight, so the cancelation went through. I wonder if now I am supposed to get a refund on my card.
Andy82 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 18, 1:27 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: mostly not far from AMS, otherwise NUE
Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,001
Originally Posted by splflyer View Post
Best contact their fb team asap. Actually had a double booking today, same flight payment did not seem to work but had 2 reservations in my system. Contacted them and one of two flights was remove within 20 minutes. absolutely no questions great service
This is different - until you pay no ticket is issued, but a PNR is allocated already - this is why you saw two bookings. Bookings without tickets disappear automatically after 24 hours or so.
mfkne is offline  
Old Feb 17, 18, 2:30 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 15,990
Originally Posted by Andy82 View Post
I've booked a light fare flight this morning - MXP-CDG-LHR and back, but I realized after a few hours that the day of the return I should as well be in Rome in the afternoon, and with the times I've booked it was impossible. My flight was around 150CHF in fare and another 100CHF in taxes, so I assumed the only thing I could get back is those taxes. I called the Platinum service line and the operator told me that she could completely cancel my flight and get me a full refund because I called before 24h. I've never heard of anything like this except for US flights so I was very surprised. Is this an exceptional thing or is there an explicit regulation about this possibility?

Now I've just seen my reservation disappear from AFKL websites but I did not receive any confirmation via email, and my card has been charged.
there is no such rule in Europe, AFAIK, but this is more a goodwill for top tier customers when you donít do that too often.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Feb 17, 18, 3:23 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Posts: 25,372
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

there is no such rule in Europe, AFAIK, but this is more a goodwill for top tier customers when you donít do that too often.
except that AFKL now appear to offer this to ALL customers.

KLM App - free 24 hrs flight?
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 18, 3:34 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Switzerland
Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
except that AFKL now appear to offer this to ALL customers.

KLM App - free 24 hrs flight?
I guess you're not referring to what the last post refers to:

Originally Posted by Wunk View Post
You're aware that when you book through KLM with your CC, you can cancel within 24 hours at no additional cost right?
They will not charge until at the +24h mark and a phonecall will cancel your ticket without a problem
I called back again and that is what happened. They explained to me ( I had no idea ) that they could cancel the ticket and cancel the CC transaction within 24 hours of the purchase, as I understood.

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

there is no such rule in Europe, AFAIK, but this is more a goodwill for top tier customers when you donít do that too often.
I'm not sure if what they did is actually common or what - the operator made it feel like it was something they could do and they are allowed to do, but maybe it's just - as you say - a goodwill for platinums.
Andy82 is offline  
Old Feb 18, 18, 3:03 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 4,043
All bookings done on KLM/AF websites allow for free cancellation within 24hrs, irrespective of the flight route.
Ditto is offline  
Old Feb 18, 18, 3:15 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Posts: 2,453
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
All bookings done on KLM/AF websites allow for free cancellation within 24hrs, irrespective of the flight route.
In Europe?

This must be very new.

Not so long ago, I mistakenly confirmed a booking on af.fr website and called immediately to see what could be done.

They first said nothing could be done. I explained the circumstances and they offered a voucher for the value of the flight. Then, they agreed to cancel the ticket.

As Goldorak explained this was a gesture of goodwill, not an obligation.

The fact is that till midnight (not 24 hours!), the actual payment is not processed so they can cancel the transaction without fuss or having to justify anything to be able to issue a credit. The transaction is actually voided. You see nothing on your CC statement.

Again, as Goldorak wrote, don't push it too far buy asking for the same again and again.
Goldorak and irishguy28 like this.
carnarvon is offline  
Old Feb 18, 18, 4:55 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 12,937
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
All bookings done on KLM/AF websites allow for free cancellation within 24hrs, irrespective of the flight route.
Do you have a source???

It certainly was not true a year ago for a French domestic flight.
irishguy28 likes this.
brunos is offline  
Old Feb 18, 18, 5:06 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 4,043
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Do you have a source???

It certainly was not true a year ago for a French domestic flight.
That is what I was told by KLM social media team, it was about a year ago and I only needed to use it once for an ex-CPT flight and had no issues with it (done via the KLM refund page)
I cancelled very shortly after the booking, my CC was charged and then later refunded (I did end up losing about 20€ in the process due to exchange rate fluctuations)
Ditto is offline  
Old Feb 18, 18, 10:27 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Posts: 2,453
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
That is what I was told by KLM social media team, it was about a year ago and I only needed to use it once for an ex-CPT flight and had no issues with it (done via the KLM refund page)
I cancelled very shortly after the booking, my CC was charged and then later refunded (I did end up losing about 20Ä in the process due to exchange rate fluctuations)
CPT is not exactly in Europe.
carnarvon is offline  
Old Feb 18, 18, 10:36 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 4,043
Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
CPT is not exactly in Europe.
Indeed, but I was told that "reservations booked online" (their words) can be cancelled free of charge in the first 24 hours, I did not specify my flight route when asking the question, so I'd expect that to include flights within Europe.
Ditto is offline  
Old Feb 18, 18, 1:03 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: who knows!
Programs: FB Platinum, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Posts: 383
I have also been able to cancel and change bookings. In all cases the agent said it was allowed within 24 hours of purchasing the ticket. However, not sure if it is platinum perk (have always done this using the platinum service line).
toastedcafe is offline  
Old Feb 18, 18, 2:03 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: AMS
Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Posts: 307
Yeah I've had this a few times, both as gold and plat member they could change/cancel without cost within the first 24h
Wunk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: