Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Do Platinum members have to wait until business class passengers get on board?

Do Platinum members have to wait until business class passengers get on board?

Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Do Platinum members have to board after business class passengers? Did she lie?

Hi. I'm posting this because things like this have never happened to me before. I am a Flying Blue platinum member and when I was flying on KLM or Air France flights in Europe, I always boarded with all the other business class passengers even when I had economy class tickets. I just needed to show my flying blue card or say that I have my platinum and then no body said anything to me when I was in Sky Priority lines.

But this happened to me a few days ago. I was flying to Amsterdam from Incheon, South Korea on a KLM flight. I stayed in the Sky Priority line like I used to in Europe and a female Korean staff member came to me and said economy passengers have to go to the other line. I said I'm a Platinum member and she said ok and walked away with an unpleasant face.

Then it all happened again when we started boarding. I was the only one in the Sky Priority line as an economy class passenger. She suddenly stopped me when it was my turn. I said I have my platinum and she said "it doesn't matter. Business class members are always first. You have to wait until all business class passengers go in." And she asked me to move away and held me on the side. The business class passengers behind me looked at me as if I'm funny or I'm stupid as they walked by me and I was so humiliated and embarrassed. And she held me there even after all the business class passengers went in and I was the only one waiting there in the sky priority line.

After it looked like all the business class passengers got on board, she said I can finally go in and as she was scanning my ticket, she told everyone that economy class passengers can now start boarding and all the economy class passengers with no tiers ran right behind me. I felt so disgraced and humiliated and felt like my flying blue platinum membership is a joke.

I wonder if there really is a policy like this with KLM or she was trying to piss me off as a revenge or she is just ignorant. Have you ever had any similar experiences like this? The people who handle KLM flights at Incheon airport are not real employees of KLM or Air France. They are employees of another contract company in Korea. Does anyone have similar experiences? Does that policy really exist? If she lied to me, do I have to submit a complaint against her at KLM or flying blue?

Last edited by skipper787; Jan 16, 2018 at 4:54 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
According to FB web site: Plat gets-
SkyPriority services:
  • Priority check-in
  • Priority baggage drop-off
  • Priority boarding
  • Priority at immigration and security
  • Priority service at ticket offices and transfer desks
  • Priority baggage handling
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebranz
According to FB web site: Plat gets-
SkyPriority services:
  • Priority check-in
  • Priority baggage drop-off
  • Priority boarding
  • Priority at immigration and security
  • Priority service at ticket offices and transfer desks
  • Priority baggage handling
But there is no order that says which sky priority members are ahead of other sky priority members or someone has HIGHER sky priority status if it is a business class ticket or something, right?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
I don't know how boarding is handled in ICN, but here in YVR, KL and AF are using a boarding by zone approach:
Zone 1 (the first one to board) is for Business Pax only
Zone 2 (the second one to board) is for Eco/Premium Eco pax with Sky Priority due to status
Zone 3, 4 and 5 are for Eco/Premium Eco pax based on seat number.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
While in most places Business pax board together with SkyPriority (and SkyTeam Elite), I've seen places (HKG) where there are three queues - Business, SkyPriority, the rest
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Happened to me once at CDG. A small number of J pax were weeded out of the Priority line and taken to the front for first boarding. There was a large number of W/Y pax with status that day.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Generally speaking :
- medium haul : Plat flying Y always board at the same time as J pax in the SkyP lane
- long haul : it used to be the same, but more and more it is as described below by SkyteamEP, if they dont have space constraints in the terminal. But, in this case, it is always labeled appropriately at the gate with different lanes.
In the case of OP, the implementation by the ground agent was very poor obviously.

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
I don't know how boarding is handled in ICN, but here in YVR, KL and AF are using a boarding by zone approach:
Zone 1 (the first one to board) is for Business Pax only
Zone 2 (the second one to board) is for Eco/Premium Eco pax with Sky Priority due to status
Zone 3, 4 and 5 are for Eco/Premium Eco pax based on seat number.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
It can be confusing. Last week KLM and AF were using the zone system also in DBX. My boarding pass showed both 'Zone: 1' and 'Skypriority' but once in the gate area there are the old familiar Sky Priority (and regular) signs & lanes.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I had something similar in MIA for an AF flight but it was well labelled with 2 separated SkyP lines as described previously, 1 for SkyP J, 1 for all the other SKyP. I was surprised enough to take a picture.
In your case, I would send a complaint to KLM. The way it was handled isn't normal at all.

Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:58 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Anyone who feels disgraced and humiliated by something like this needs a reality check. We're talking about a difference of two or three minutes boarding a plane, for heaven's sake, not being stripped naked in public!
codex57, trooper, Klems and 9 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Talking

Originally Posted by 1P
Anyone who feels disgraced and humiliated by something like this needs a reality check. We're talking about a difference of two or three minutes boarding a plane, for heaven's sake, not being stripped naked in public!
I sometimes get the impression that there are people who wouldn't mind being stripped naked in public if that means they can use the priority line.
codex57, trooper, Klems and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: FB, SPG, AccorHotels, Hertz, Avis
I have seen that happen a few times boarding the A380 from CDG to JNB (AF metal), within the SkyPriority section the non-J Pax were separated so that J would board first, then status holders and then the Eco pax without status. Never seen it on any other flight and I also consider it useless, the time difference is marginal and it is just extra effort for splitting the SkyPriority queue.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:37 am

All people need is consistency and clarity in the application of the rules, so every knows the system and these events don't occur. And yes the OP should complain. No one should be subjected to such rudeness by a 3rd party gate flunky.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: FB Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by Mirk
I had something similar in MIA for an AF flight but it was well labelled with 2 separated SkyP lines as described previously, 1 for SkyP J, 1 for all the other SKyP. I was surprised enough to take a picture.
In your case, I would send a complaint to KLM. The way it was handled isn't normal at all.

I think a consistent approach would be better but that is almost never going to happen given different airport personnel and regulations. As it happens I believe your attached picture would the best way to board SP.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by skipper787
Hi. I'm posting this because things like this have never happened to me before. I am a Flying Blue platinum member and when I was flying on KLM or Air France flights in Europe, I always boarded with all the other business class passengers even when I had economy class tickets. I just needed to show my flying blue card or say that I have my platinum and then no body said anything to me when I was in Sky Priority lines.

But this happened to me a few days ago. I was flying to Amsterdam from Incheon, South Korea on a KLM flight. I stayed in the Sky Priority line like I used to in Europe and a female Korean staff member came to me and said economy passengers have to go to the other line. I said I'm a Platinum member and she said ok and walked away with an unpleasant face.

Then it all happened again when we started boarding. I was the only one in the Sky Priority line as an economy class passenger. She suddenly stopped me when it was my turn. I said I have my platinum and she said "it doesn't matter. Business class members are always first. You have to wait until all business class passengers go in." And she asked me to move away and held me on the side. The business class passengers behind me looked at me as if I'm funny or I'm stupid as they walked by me and I was so humiliated and embarrassed. And she held me there even after all the business class passengers went in and I was the only one waiting there in the sky priority line.

After it looked like all the business class passengers got on board, she said I can finally go in and as she was scanning my ticket, she told everyone that economy class passengers can now start boarding and all the economy class passengers with no tiers ran right behind me. I felt so disgraced and humiliated and felt like my flying blue platinum membership is a joke.

I wonder if there really is a policy like this with KLM or she was trying to piss me off as a revenge or she is just ignorant. Have you ever had any similar experiences like this? The people who handle KLM flights at Incheon airport are not real employees of KLM or Air France. They are employees of another contract company in Korea. Does anyone have similar experiences? Does that policy really exist? If she lied to me, do I have to submit a complaint against her at KLM or flying blue?
If I were you I will contact flying blue and report the issue, it seems the gate agent need a better schooling regarding the benefits of flying blue platinum status holders And customer service interaction with the best customers of KLM/Airfrance plus I will request at least 25000 miles for the embarrassing experience at ICN

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.