Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Do Platinum members have to wait until business class passengers get on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Platinum members have to wait until business class passengers get on board?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Agreed, since there is also no benefit to getting on earlier if you're in business (what, are you afraid there's not enough bin space?). There's a benefit to getting on earlier in Y... so just give priority Y boarding to elites.
PeteM01 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
LOL
but not so far from the truth (for US airlines) and that's why it's funny.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
Agreed, since there is also no benefit to getting on earlier if you're in business (what, are you afraid there's not enough bin space?).
That's definitely a risk on KL shorthaul, especially if you are in row 1.

The cabin crew are the first to stuff the J class bins, followed by Y pax who then skip down the aisle to row 29, no longer encumbered by their cabin trunks. I can't recall when I last saw a cabin attendant do something about such behavior.

Johan
carnarvon and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
As a platinum I am often among the first Y passengers to board with zone 2 and on a couple of occasions when boarding was completed I was asked by a cabin attendant put my not so small rucksack under the seat in front so that someone who boarded last could fit their suitcase in the bin. Penalised and having to take a legroom hit just for travelling light. Can understand the challenge of getting everyone's luggage on board especially as many non elites don't want to pay to check a bag in but still not great taking a legroom hit as a platinum. FB status pretty much goes out of the window the moment you step onto the aircraft.
Solevita and KLBGO like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Saint4805
As a platinum I am often among the first Y passengers to board with zone 2 and on a couple of occasions when boarding was completed I was asked by a cabin attendant put my not so small rucksack under the seat in front so that someone who boarded last could fit their suitcase in the bin. Penalised and having to take a legroom hit just for travelling light. Can understand the challenge of getting everyone's luggage on board especially as many non elites don't want to pay to check a bag in but still not great taking a legroom hit as a platinum. FB status pretty much goes out of the window the moment you step onto the aircraft.
I imagine you had more than 1 carry-on with you? If that's the case I'm siding with flight attendant, multiple carry-ons in Y should be legroom hit, regardless of the status.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
I imagine you had more than 1 carry-on with you? If that's the case I'm siding with flight attendant, multiple carry-ons in Y should be legroom hit, regardless of the status.
Nope - just the rucksack and one checked-in bag.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by johan rebel
That's definitely a risk on KL shorthaul, especially if you are in row 1.

The cabin crew are the first to stuff the J class bins, followed by Y pax who then skip down the aisle to row 29, no longer encumbered by their cabin trunks. I can't recall when I last saw a cabin attendant do something about such behavior.

Johan
But... you DO get to board first after J. J should take precedence over even elite Y when it comes to bin space, no? Then you are among the first to board and jam your stuff in the overheads. I don't really see the issue.

And yeah, we do all have to make sacrifices for people who bring tons of carry-on onboard. I also find this annoying, but if it means an on-time departure then so be it. I also only fly with a backpack.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Then I would politely decline the request, stating that I only have one carry on item and as a Plat expect to get a small space in the overhead bin
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
But... you DO get to board first after J.
On shorthaul flights they just board all Sky Priority first, regardless of class of travel. Only very rarely have I experienced that J pax have specifically been invited to board ahead of everybody else. This in my experience only happens on full flights with a large J cabin.

It is not unusual for me to have a dozen or more pax ahead of me in the priority line, yet I find that I'm the first J pax to board.

Personally, I'm not too worried about overhead space. My backpack will fit under the free middle seat, and any jacket on the seat. Even when traveling in EC it is not an issue, as suprisingly few elites are seated in EC, so I have no trouble finding space overhead.

Last month I picked an EER seat as the flight was jam-packed and both J and EC were full. First time in many years that I had a seat further back than row 6. As it was a very hot day, and secure in the knowledge that finding space for my carry-on was not going to be my problem, I boarded last. To my surprise, there was plenty of overhead space throughout the plane.

Johan
caliform likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Then I'd politely decline (or rather, ignore) the request as well.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
Then I'd politely decline (or rather, ignore) the request as well.
Of course you are right. It's just not ideal being put in a position where I have to explain why my rucksack should stay in the bin front of surrounding passengers. Yes I shouldn't care what other people think and so maybe I'll attach my platinum tag to my rucksack.

The one thing I do always decline is when I am asked to change seats so that two people can sit together. If people can't co-ordinate their online check-in in advance then tough luck.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:57 am

The one thing I do always decline is when I am asked to change seats so that two people can sit together. If people can't co-ordinate their online check-in in advance then tough luck.
I mean if I got stuck in a middle somehow, may as well use this to my advantage.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR
I mean if I got stuck in a middle somehow, may as well use this to my advantage.
Of course or if one of the passengers is sitting in business then it's a no brainer but unless I am put on a re-booked flight due to delay or cancellation which has limited options my seat is pretty much selected straight after booking.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:47 am

... but unless I am put on a re-booked flight due to delay or cancellation which has limited options my seat is pretty much selected straight after booking.
And wouldn't you think that might be a valid reason for why those 2 PAX aren't seated together?
I don't see a good reason to say no to such requests as long as I can be seated in an equivalent seat, sadly such PAX often end up in 2 middle seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.