AMEX + Delta = ?

Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

AMEX + Delta = ?

Sitting on 40,000 AMEX and 6,000 Delta points. I literally know nothing about FlyingBlue, but it appears I can convert these over?

What might this get me in terms of flying LAX to Hawaii?

Many thanks from a FB noob.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Hi

Few things to say

1 = you cant convert your delta miles to Flying blue

2 = about amex you need to check the charts/rates (see amex US site for more details)

3 = There are charts for Flying blue

Please read this post from ThePointGuy just to give you an idea but i dont think its still up to date

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/06/top...ng-blue-miles/

And also in 3 months flying blue will change so you will have dynamic rates for awards flights

4 = i tried from the website to book LAX to HNL , but nothing available so you have to call flying blue and book it over the phone

5 = be aware that you should use your flying blue miles as soon as you transfered them from amex , also you should know that we saw many cases of accounts closure (and therefore lost of transfered points/miles) , canceled tickets booked with miles (or the user have to come to the airport by himself in order to verify his identity) from US amex card holders

Why ? Because if flying blue think there is a suspicious activity they may close/cancel the account/booking .

Also the partnership between flyingblue and amex is not good for them in the way that US customers can just spend their money on everything (gas, food, candies, shopping, and so on ...) with an amex (unlike europe where you cant use amex everywhere, so for instance ThePpintGuy would never be able to do the same things in europe , he would just travel all the time with Lowcost carriers), collect a lot of points then transfer it to flying blue and book awards tickets without flying with a skyteam airline before

Therefore its basically a lost of money for them when you compare with european customers who should spend thousands of euros before reaching the same amount of miles in their accounts

Last edited by fifty_two; Jan 10, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
LAX-HNL is a route operated by DL rather than AF/KLM. This means that you can only use FB miles if DL had "low" award tickets available and if DL is willing to offer these "low" award seats to FB. In other words, the inventory bucket you need to be able to use FB miles will be a subset of the inventory at "low" level for DL miles. There will be even more award tickets available with DL miles for prices above "low" (termed saver level in some other FF programs).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by fifty_two
Also the partnership between flyingblue and amex is not good for them in the way that US customers can just spend their money on everything (gas, food, candies, shopping, and so on ...) with an amex (unlike europe where you cant use amex everywhere, so for instance ThePpintGuy would never be able to do the same things in europe , he would just travel all the time with Lowcost carriers), collect a lot of points then transfer it to flying blue and book awards tickets without flying with a skyteam airline before

Therefore its basically a lost of money for them when you compare with european customers who should spend thousands of euros before reaching the same amount of miles in their accounts
Oh, believe me, Amex pays them for the points, more than enough.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:32 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Oh, believe me, Amex pays them for the points, more than enough.
Yes i know that , however iam curious about how much they get per points converted to FB miles

My point was about the fact that if they shutdown accounts of newbies who just transferred miles in order to book awards with no prior ST flights , mean that , in some way , it's kinda not good for their business
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
This has been discussed recently - it's not about good for business or bad for business, it's about fraud. Setting up award tickets is a very good way to use up points from a stolen account. Airlines are typically quite careful about fraud.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.