Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

AF/KL/DL to also introduce new fare structure for Trans-Atlantic flights

Old Dec 7, 17, 4:56 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)

from the TA website:

Vanaf 7 december 2017 bieden Air France en KLM drie nieuwe ticketopties aan voor reizen in Economy Class op vluchten tussen Europa en de Verenigde Staten en Canada, voor reizen vanaf 10 april 2018.

Delta Air Lines en Alitalia, de joint venture partners van Air France en KLM, introduceren een vergelijkbare tarievenstructuur voor deze routes.
Uw klanten kunnen kiezen uit Light, Standard en Standard +. Elke ticketoptie heeft zijn eigen services en voorwaarden en eigen tarief.

De ticketoptie Light is voor passagiers die reizen met alleen handbagage. Standard biedt de mogelijkheid om één stuk ruimbagage in te checken en Standard + staat voor ruimbagage en meer flexibiliteit
Old Dec 7, 17, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan View Post
from the TA website:
So, hand baggage only comes to economy long-haul. Interesting.
Old Dec 7, 17, 7:14 am

I can't find any flights where they actually *sell* Light tickets yet; all flights after 10apr18 give the option for standard/standard+ but light is always "sold out on this flight".

From what I see now, it appears they might offer Light as a discount as the advertised prices currently are for the "standard" level (with the "standard" option given being +0 EUR).

If it's done that way I don't see a problem with it, but so far every "unbundling" has meant that the price for the base product stays the same and you pay extra for what you used to get as part of the base price before so colour me skeptical.
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by CyBeR; Dec 7, 17 at 12:58 pm
Old Dec 7, 17, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
On a side note: LH also introduced these "light fares" a while ago but only offers them in/from markets were there is LCC competition like most airports in Scandinavia ( Norwegian! ). Wait and see if KL/AF will offers these fares systemwide.
Old Dec 7, 17, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by BER Flyer View Post
On a side note: LH also introduced these "light fares" a while ago but only offers them in/from markets were there is LCC competition like most airports in Scandinavia ( Norwegian! ). Wait and see if KL/AF will offers these fares systemwide.
So far only between Europe and US/Canada, as per the documentation. That's hardly system-wide. LCC competition to Africa/Asia isn't as big as to the US/Canada so I wouldn't expect that to change too soon.

Meanwhile, the KL website actually has these fares for sale. It appears that they now advertise the Light fare, and that the Light fare is indeed a bit cheaper than the fare was before today, though obviously not having known about this change beforehand I did not check prices earlier for a direct comparison. For example AMS-YYZ (return) is now €376 for the Light fare which I think is lower than I've ever seen while €456 (Standard) is in the same ballpark.

It appears that adding a first bag without an FB account will cost €50 each way, so buying the Standard fare is slightly cheaper than adding bags later, and the same price if you are an FB ivory member.
kthomas likes this.
Old Dec 7, 17, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by BER Flyer View Post
Aer Lingus also offers handbaggage-only fares on transatlantic flights from Ireland; TAP's "Discount" Economy fare family only comes with an 8kg hand baggage allowance, and is systemwide. Even to Brazil. Status does not get you a free bag on these "Discount" tickets.
Old Dec 7, 17, 1:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
And thus the race to the bottom continues.
Old Dec 7, 17, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Gajan View Post
from the TA website:
Now in French from AgentConnect and a Google Trad translation:

À compter du 07 décembre2017, Air France (AF) et KLM (KL) introduiront 3 nouveaux produits tarifaires en cabine Economy pour les vols entre l'Europe et les Etats-Unis et le Canada, pour des voyages a/c du 10 avril 2018 au départ des pays suivants :
États-Unis, Canada, France, Pays-Bas, Italie, Allemagne, Suisse, Autriche, Espagne, Royaume-Uni, Belgique, Suède, Danemark, Finlande, Norvège, Luxembourg, Slovénie, Estonie, Lettonie, Lituanie.

À compter de février 2018, les 3 nouveaux produits tarifaires seront disponibles à la vente pour des voyages commençant dans tous les autres pays européens.

Les clients pourront choisir un tarif Light, Standard ou Standard+. Chaque produit tarifaire a ses propres caractéristiques et conditions.
- Les tarifs Light sont pour les clients qui voyagent avec uniquement un bagage cabine.
- Les tarifs Standard sont pour les clients qui préfèrent voyager avec un bagage en soute (maximum 23 kg).
- Les tarifs Standard + permettent aux clients d'emporter un bagage en soute et leur offrent davantage de flexibilité pour le changement et le remboursement de leurs billets.
From 07 December 2017, Air France (AF) and KLM (KL) will introduce 3 new fare products in the Economy cabin for flights between Europe and the United States and Canada for travel from 10 April 2018 from the following countries:
United States, Canada, France, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, United Kingdom, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.

Starting in February 2018, the 3 new fare products will be available for sale for journeys beginning in all other European countries.

Customers can choose a Light, Standard or Standard + rate. Each fare product has its own characteristics and conditions.
- Light fares are for guests traveling with only cabin luggage.
- Standard fares are for customers who prefer to travel with checked luggage (maximum 23 kg).
- Standard + fares allow customers to carry checked baggage and give them more flexibility to change and refund their tickets.
fifty_two likes this.
Old Dec 7, 17, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CyBeR View Post
I can't find any flights where they actually *sell* Light tickets yet; all flights after 10apr18 give the option for standard/standard+ but light is always "sold out on this flight".
Here you go!

So there is no discount for buying the first bag in advance/online.

Skyteam Elite and Elite Plus members get a free bag even on the Light fare.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 7, 17, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Here you go!
Originally Posted by CyBeR View Post
Meanwhile, the KL website actually has these fares for sale.
Got it already.
Old Dec 8, 17, 12:18 am

Programs: Many
I am not sure to understand the new fare structure correctly. When it comes to Light fare:
- do they keep the existing prices and remove the baggage allowance?
- or have they actually lowered the fare price to reflect the hand-baggage only allowance?
Old Dec 8, 17, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, they have not lowered the price.

(While looking for "Light" prices on AMS-NYC, I was surprised to see that DL comes in substantially cheaper than KL on the dates I was checking. So much for the "price fixing" aspects of the metal-neutral JV! I also happened to notice that, for the same route, AZ doesn't suggest any flights with KL involvement, and when AF is involved, no Economy seats are for sale, no Business class seats are for sale - only Premium Economy is available to buy via AZ! So much for the JV/partnership!!!)
Attached Images  
Old Dec 8, 17, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by caliform View Post
And thus the race to the bottom continues.
Sorry, but I don't understand this comment.
I mostly travel with hand luggage and appreciate that I don't have to pay for those who check a bag.
Old Dec 8, 17, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I mostly travel with hand luggage and appreciate that I don't have to pay for those who check a bag.
The problem is, that you'll pay the same as you'd pay with the old system. The people with luggage will now have to pay more...
irishguy28, B0gdan, klanfa and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 17, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
If only it worked that way.

However - surprisingly as it may seem (), it is implemented in such a way that the airline benefits, rather than the customer. You don't get a cheaper ticket because of this change. The people who check a bag [and that means most people on transatlantic flights! If you don't travel with a checked bag, you're most likely travelling with an SSSS on your boarding pass!] have to pay for what used to be free; you get no discount.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: