Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

AF/KL/DL to also introduce new fare structure for Trans-Atlantic flights

AF/KL/DL to also introduce new fare structure for Trans-Atlantic flights

Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If only it worked that way.

However - surprisingly as it may seem (), it is implemented in such a way that the airline benefits, rather than the customer. You don't get a cheaper ticket because of this change. The people who check a bag [and that means most people on transatlantic flights! If you don't travel with a checked bag, you're most likely travelling with an SSSS on your boarding pass!] have to pay for what used to be free; you get no discount.
Airlines are free to set prices. they can raise or lower them and face competition.
They don't need to introduce a HBO fare to raise prices or vice-versa.
But I don't think that one can disagree that airfares have gone down on average in the past few years. Of course, it depends on routes, competition and fuel prices.
And I am old enough to factor in my overall price taking into account the various services I use (extra bag, seat assignment and the like). Paying for services that I don't use is where I feel frustrated.

A significant number of people, even if a minority, travel hand luggage on TATL, Admittedly this is a larger percentage in J, but young people do spend a long week end in NY or Paris.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
If you don't travel with a checked bag, you're most likely travelling with an SSSS on your boarding pass!
That's nonsense, I never travel with checked bags when going to the US for business trips and the only SSSS I've ever gotten was because I departed from Dublin rather then Amsterdam with my dad and brother because it saved 3x€600 when travelling J
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Skyteam Elite and Elite Plus members get a free bag even on the Light fare.
With some LH and BA fares this is not even the case. Could have been worse on the way to the bottom... Or faster..
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Wunk
That's nonsense, I never travel with checked bags when going to the US for business trips and the only SSSS I've ever gotten was because I departed from Dublin rather then Amsterdam with my dad and brother because it saved 3x€600 when travelling J
I've *never* had an SSSS when travelling from Dublin.

The only times I've ever got SSSS were when I was flying without checked luggage.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Sorry, but I don't understand this comment.
I mostly travel with hand luggage and appreciate that I don't have to pay for those who check a bag.
I think caliform meant that many people are still willing to lower their comfort on the flights to get lower prices (i.e. there's room for even more narrower Y seats etc.).

Last edited by Sjondorn; Dec 8, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the only times I've ever got SSSS were when I was flying without checked luggage.
I've never had SSSS, period. I've only checked a bag twice so far this century.

Johan
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I've never had SSSS, period. I've only checked a bag twice so far this century.

Johan
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I always get TSA Pre✓at US airport when flying participating airlines, and I'm not a US citizen, national or resident.

Johan
Is it possible for someone who "always gets TSA Pre✓" to get SSSS? You are clearly on a TSA clear list!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keter
With some LH and BA fares this is not even the case. Could have been worse on the way to the bottom... Or faster..
Agreed. I'm not aware of any other TATL "light" fare for which status gets a free bag.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
I think she means that many people are still willing to lower their comfort on the flights to get lower prices (i.e. there's room for even more narrower Y seats etc.).
Let me detail my point.
In their effort to lower price, airlines do reduce comfort in Y such as reduced seat pitch, narrower seats.This is quite different from what I was addressing.
On the other hand, having a light fare with a charge for checking a bag does not reduce comfort; it just introduces differential pricing.

I must confess that I have not traveled longhaul in Y for decades, so my reaction was knee jerk. But I am a big fan of Easyjet compared to AF for French and European flights. I like to have the comfort to select my seat at booking like front row or extra legroom which also buys me priority boarding. I like to be able to purchase/select food onboard rather than the very limited choice of drinks and sucré/salé. I don't consider having to pay for a checked bag as a reduction in comfort. All the extras are known and paid at time of booking, so it is easy to compare airlines and make an educated choice.

It could be that some infrequent pax do not see through the price and fare conditions and get "cheated' when comparing options. But airlines tend to be very explicit nowadays about those; at least they should be.

PS: I believe that the new light/standard/standard+ system is consistent with the light/standard/flex mediumhaul system introduced a year ago. A significant number of pax are from/to another European country. It was strange that the lowest TATL fares allowed them a free bag on the European portion.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 8, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Let me detail my point.
In their effort to lower price, airlines do reduce comfort in Y such as reduced seat pitch, narrower seats.This is quite different from what I was addressing.
On the other hand, having a light fare with a charge for checking a bag does not reduce comfort; it just introduces differential pricing.
Yes, I understand what you mean with the luggage and agree with it as well (although I haven't flown in long-haul Y for a looong time too). Though it's still a part of race to the bottom and that usually comes with crappier seating.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't travel with a checked bag, you're most likely travelling with an SSSS on your boarding pass!] have to pay for what used to be free; you get no discount.
Originally Posted by Wunk
I've *never* had an SSSS when travelling from Dublin.

The only times I've ever got SSSS were when I was flying without checked luggage.
Generalising on the basis of one's own anecdotal experience is bound to be fraught with error. I also barely ever check luggage and I have been SSSS'd twice in hundreds and hundreds of US flights and on both occasions it was on domestic flights. Not once have I been SSSS'd on tatl flights. One's won experience is simply not a sufficient basis to generalise on this as on so many other things.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Let me detail my point.
That seems to be the point. One of the less nice lessons learned from the likes of Ryanair, but on the other hand if I am going somewhere for 2 days, I appreciate 100eur HBO fare over, say, 150 base fare with bags.
At least AFKL gives a free bag to elites even on light fares, unlike others (LH as an example.)

I must confess that I have not traveled longhaul in Y for decades, so my reaction was knee jerk. But I am a big fan of Easyjet compared to AF for French and European flights. I like to have the comfort to select my seat at booking like front row or extra legroom which also buys me priority boarding. I like to be able to purchase/select food onboard rather than the very limited choice of drinks and sucré/salé. I don't consider having to pay for a checked bag as a reduction in comfort. All the extras are known and paid at time of booking, so it is easy to compare airlines and make an educated choice.

It could be that some infrequent pax do not see through the price and fare conditions and get "cheated' when comparing options. But airlines tend to be very explicit nowadays about those; at least they should be.
​​​​​​​
The problem is, it's only easy if you do the legwork, and compare on airline websites. Bag is a relatively simple thing, but it falls apart when you start talking about extra space seats and so on. You can't put that as a search option at, say, Kayak...

PS: I believe that the new light/standard/standard+ system is consistent with the light/standard/flex mediumhaul system introduced a year ago. A significant number of pax are from/to another European country. It was strange that the lowest TATL fares allowed them a free bag on the European portion.
I don't find it strange at all. If I travel, say, PRG-ATL, I travel PRG-ATL and not PRG-AMS, buy baggage there, and carry on with AMS-ATL. 99% of people buy a ticket to travel out and then back, as 2 units.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:35 pm

Lucky that I booked my OSL-CDG-ATL-AMS-OSL in november for travel in april. If I were to book now, I've had to pay for check-in luggages.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

The problem is, it's only easy if you do the legwork, and compare on airline websites. Bag is a relatively simple thing, but it falls apart when you start talking about extra space seats and so on. You can't put that as a search option at, say, Kayak...

I don't find it strange at all. If I travel, say, PRG-ATL, I travel PRG-ATL and not PRG-AMS, buy baggage there, and carry on with AMS-ATL. 99% of people buy a ticket to travel out and then back, as 2 units.
I agree on your first point that it does take time to compare fares on different airlines (say for European or domestic travel). But that is unavoidable. Fares conditions differ a lot. If you don't want seat assignment and a checked bag, the comparison is a bit easier, but you still need to consider what "free" services you get. I often compare fares on AF and EZY and it takes very little time to figure out the relative cost/benefits. The time when all airlines provided rather similar services (one checked bag, meal served, similar fare conditions) is gone. Indeed, kayak is much less relevant today.

The other point was about "consistency". As you are probably aware, internal costing is very important when you sell a PRG-CDG-ATL. At AF, the European management tribe and the longhaul management tribe fight about internal pricing as it affects the bottom line of both tribes. Now that European fares include an HBO fare, this development for longhaul is logical. And it is easy for a pax to add a checked bag if needed..
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I agree on your first point that it does take time to compare fares on different airlines (say for European or domestic travel). But that is unavoidable. Fares conditions differ a lot. If you don't want seat assignment and a checked bag, the comparison is a bit easier, but you still need to consider what "free" services you get. I often compare fares on AF and EZY and it takes very little time to figure out the relative cost/benefits. The time when all airlines provided rather similar services (one checked bag, meal served, similar fare conditions) is gone. Indeed, kayak is much less relevant today.
Yes, though it could have been until recently basically grouped into two basic dividers, free service yes/no and free bag yes/no. Further than that, it's more digging.

The other point was about "consistency". As you are probably aware, internal costing is very important when you sell a PRG-CDG-ATL. At AF, the European management tribe and the longhaul management tribe fight about internal pricing as it affects the bottom line of both tribes. Now that European fares include an HBO fare, this development for longhaul is logical. And it is easy for a pax to add a checked bag if needed..
If you meant that "it was strange that cheapest TATL allowed a free bag", then I don't entirely agree, but see your point. But the concept of "European portion" is not reasonable as a differentiator between bag being available or not. Bag is such a basic service it should always be the same throughout the ticket.
irishguy28 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.