Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
With the current offer on LePass (https://lepass.airfrance.fr/home_pag...&cl=76;1;0&p=0), they offer you to get your status on level up (gold --> plat or silver to gold) when buying a 20 flights pass. Would you think that you start a new membership year and then keep your xp for qualification in 2019 ?
Asked on twitter but did not get any answer so far.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ditto
If she will be at 290, then she will have 110 left after 180XP will be deducted to keep her gold status.
Keep in mind that if she does reach Platinum, then Gold the year thereafter is guaranteed as long as she takes just one flight, 180XP (or all if she will have less) will be deducted at that point.
In the new programme there is no need to take at least 1 flight to benefit from the soft landing^
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gajan

In the new programme there is no need to take at least 1 flight to benefit from the soft landing^
That said there isn't really any point to having status if you aren't using it.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Smile

Thanks for the advice on this - I think the good lady will be treated to another little holiday soon
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
So this weird thing happened recently to my reissued ticket after a KL flight cancellation.
My flight was a J ticket, with Z fare of around 2k Euros, so I would get a total of 16k miles for a flight to BKK.

After ticket reissue and new itinerary, still on AFKL, and after my flights, I've got a strange credit on my FB account.
After just the outbound flights, I've got a total of 16k miles, still credited according to euros spent. It seems that all miles for the ticket have been credited to the outbound flights.

What will happen on the flight back then? Shall I get my KL flights with 0 miles and just XPs?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Here is the update, as requested: I got credited 5 XPs for the CDG-BSL flight, so they still treat it as medium-haul; however, they stop to treat it as business class even though the booking class for the segment was "J".

Disappointing.
I just discovered (but it's probably not a news for some) that A5 (Hop!) operates also flights from ORY to Mulhouse/Basel, but the flights are actually registered to MLH (which is considered as the French side of the Airport), and not BSL.
What is the difference? Flights from CDG to BSL count as International / Medium - so 5 XP - while flights from ORY to MLH count as domestic, so 2 XP.
KLBGO likes this.

Last edited by Andy82; Aug 9, 2018 at 10:35 am Reason: Wrong airport code.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Andy82
I just discovered (but it's probably not a news for some) that A5 (Hop!) operates also flights from ORY to Mulhouse/Basel, but the flights are actually registered to MLH (which is considered as the French side of the Airport), and not BSL.
What is the difference? Flights from CDG to BSL count as International / Medium - so 5 XP - while flights from ORY to MLH count as domestic, so 2 XP.
Indeed nothing new here. This has existed forever. And for the difference, it is exactly as you wrote (intl CDG, domestic ORY).
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
So this weird thing happened recently to my reissued ticket after a KL flight cancellation.
My flight was a J ticket, with Z fare of around 2k Euros, so I would get a total of 16k miles for a flight to BKK.

After ticket reissue and new itinerary, still on AFKL, and after my flights, I've got a strange credit on my FB account.
After just the outbound flights, I've got a total of 16k miles, still credited according to euros spent. It seems that all miles for the ticket have been credited to the outbound flights.

What will happen on the flight back then? Shall I get my KL flights with 0 miles and just XPs?
I guess you'll find out on the way back. Let us know.

It's not unusual for the booking class to change after an itinerary change - have had a couple of times previously that a Z ticket became booked into C resulting in far more miles (old system)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by sbams

It's not unusual for the booking class to change after an itinerary change - have had a couple of times previously that a Z ticket became booked into C resulting in far more miles (old system)
Exactly, but that was with the old system - with the new system, a change of booking class should not change the credited miles, only a change of fare, that in the case of a simple re-issue, it shouldn't happen.

I have inspected my reissued ticket with the saudia website and there might be an explanation, but I'm going to wait for the inbound flights to see if I'm right or not. I was more curious if anyone had a similar experience with tickets reissued before departure and caused by a disruption.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbams

Or even the new system - if you fly with partner airline
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Exactly, but that was with the old system - with the new system, a change of booking class should not change the credited miles, only a change of fare, that in the case of a simple re-issue, it shouldn't happen.

I have inspected my reissued ticket with the saudia website and there might be an explanation, but I'm going to wait for the inbound flights to see if I'm right or not. I was more curious if anyone had a similar experience with tickets reissued before departure and caused by a disruption.
But your ticket is with Saudia so the old system Still applies and your miles will be credited according to the fare class not the amount of money paid.maybe the reissued ticket has a higher fare class and your got lucky enough to get the miles associated with it.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:45 am

I just got up to 180 XP so my FBG is safe for another year. I will not make it to, and I dont need platinum. Just a few more flights is planned that will give me another 20-30 XP. Is it still the same benefit that thoose XP will roll over to next year? So I will start with thoose 20-30 XP on 1 jan 2019. Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum | A3 Gold | BA Silver
Originally Posted by criced
I just got up to 180 XP so my FBG is safe for another year. I will not make it to, and I dont need platinum. Just a few more flights is planned that will give me another 20-30 XP. Is it still the same benefit that thoose XP will roll over to next year? So I will start with thoose 20-30 XP on 1 jan 2019. Thanks
Yes. All XP that you earn above what you need for requalification will roll over to the next year.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by foxtwo
Yes. All XP that you earn above what you need for requalification will roll over to the next year.
Thanks for answer. Thats a really nice thing from Flying Blue, compare to other programs eg SAS Eurobonus etc
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by newflyer27
But your ticket is with Saudia so the old system Still applies and your miles will be credited according to the fare class not the amount of money paid.maybe the reissued ticket has a higher fare class and your got lucky enough to get the miles associated with it.
No, my ticket was NOT with Saudia, it was and still is a KLM ticket. In the saudia website you can check most tickets of skyteam airlines.

Here's the detailed crediting:

ZRH-AMS 400 miles (KL - according to euros spent)
- reissue here, new ticket
AMS-CDG 560 miles (AF - according to euros spent)
CDG-SGN 14198 miles (AF - according to euros spent)
SGN-BKK 1250 miles (VN - according to distance/fare class) - this wasn't present in the original ticket, it was a KL codeshare.
On the way back:
BKK-AMS 7482 Miles (KL - according to euros spent).
(still waiting for the last credited flights)

CDG-SGN is around 6285 miles. The AF flight was rebooked in C class so with the old scheme it would have given 2.75x miles for a platinum member, so it would have been way over 17k miles, not the 14'198 I was credited.
I'm way over the 16k miles I should have got from the original ticket - actually around 50% more. But making sense of why exactly these numbers, it's not clear to me.
The reissued ticket looks like a one way ticket from AMS-CDG-SGN-BKK with a total price of 1995 euros though, and that might "approximately" explain why those numbers.
I can share the fare calculation codes, but I cannot interpret them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.