Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by rosensfole
You'll drop to gold at the end of the year and have that status until March 2020. Any XPs above 180 on 31/12/2018 will be carried over.
Great - thanks for clarifying. So it seems that there's nothing to be gained by delaying hitting 183.

Is the expectation that the FB lounges at AMS will be less rammed next year? Both the Schengen and non-Schengen ones have been crazy lately and I'm wondering if many gold members will drop to silver due to the rule change.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Are you sure your calculations of XP are correct? Assuming all Economy class flights:

2x DXB-PRG roundtrip (RT) = 2 * 2 * 8XP = 32 XP
4x DXB-URC RT = 4 * 2 * 8XP = 64 XP
1x DXB-DMM/JED/RUH RT = 2 * 2 * 5XP * 3 = 60 XP (*3 because I assume this means three separate trips).

So you have just 156 XP. How did you get 318 XP?
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Sorry forgot to mention -- business for the PRG and URC legs, economy for the trips to Saudi!
There's also no direct SkyTeam flights to PRG.

That would then be at least 15+24 *2 per trip = 156XP
URC 4 returns per 48 is 192 XP and with that in mind, you could attack Platinum in 2 years.

Looks like you are one of the people that have the right mix of flights to benefit from XP system.

Originally Posted by Saint4805
Great - thanks for clarifying. So it seems that there's nothing to be gained by delaying hitting 183.

Is the expectation that the FB lounges at AMS will be less rammed next year? Both the Schengen and non-Schengen ones have been crazy lately and I'm wondering if many gold members will drop to silver due to the rule change.
You should indeed aim rather at gaining as much XP as possible, as they rollover now even when losing a level. Therefore you can use extra XP even if under 300 to help you reach 180 the next year.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:20 am

Many glitches on Flying Blue website

I have encountered several glitches on the website since the changeover.
First, it seems impossible to claim missing miles online. Since April I have taken 7 flights on Skyteam partner airlines. Only two of them were credited even though I provided my Flying Blue number when booking and it appeared on my boarding pass. When I've tried to claim the miles, I consistently get an error message: "unknown technical error." I complained about this a couple of weeks ago via the FB Twitter feed on KLM, they said there is a problem with the site but have no information on when it will be fixed.
Second, the simulator that allows you to calculate miles/XP for a planned flight does not seem to work on direct flights, only those with connections.
Finally as a general matter, I find the new website clunky and difficult to use, for example after signing onto the site, it's necessary to sign in a second time with username and password if I want to do anything.

Anyone else having these problems?
Old May 15, 2018, 10:52 am

I dont think the lounge sitation will change. I see mostly americans and Asians in the Non schengen lounge and they are likely not FB members, later they are members of Delta and so one. And to go to myself - Im only a holiday flyer but will easy stay Gold futher on by doing one mileage run in Business per year as I just did LPI-AMS-ATL-SJO, PTY-ATL-JFK-CDG-AMS-LPI plus some weekends in Europe with 4-5 eco segments. Sorry 😚
Old May 15, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
I apologise if this might have been asked before or is posted somewhere else, but I just can't seem to find the information:

1. While the whole XP thing is clear to me - is there some mileage calculator that shows how many award miles I earn on a flight (by entering the route, airline and booking class) - just like it was on the old Flying Blue website?
2. I will hit platinum in August - until when will my plat status last? August 2019? Or New Year 2019-2020?
3.. Does anyone else seem to have any problem with the new Flying Blue website just not remembering your settings/preferences, even when clicking 'save' a thousand of times after putting the language back to English? The first time I accessed the website I was physically located in France - and sacre bleu - the damn website keeps staying in French each time I log in again.

Cheers,
Old May 16, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: FB Plat
1) Not for flights sold by AF/KL, because it depends on the amount you actually pay related to the flight, minus some of the taxes (including extra luggages, complementary upgrades, etc). Just do price x 0.6 x (multiplier depending on your FB level) for a rough idea.
(The 0.6 is not based on any data, there might be a more accurate multiplier.)
For flights sold by partner airlines, I can't find any calculator. Looks like they removed it.
2) August 19
3) Clear your cookies on the Flying Blue website?

Last edited by Zarmakuizz; May 16, 2018 at 2:20 am
Old May 16, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
2) August 19
?

2) August 19 + 3 months = November 19
Zarmakuizz likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Given the new +3 months rule,
That is not new, and you appear to have misinterpreted it.

The status card that is issued is given a validity date of 3 months past the actual membership year. This has ALWAYS been the case. In Flying Blue up til now, everyone had a membership year aligned to the calendar year - but every status card sent out was valid until the end of March of the subsequent year.

Nothing has changed in the current scheme.

would it be within my interests to delay hitting gold in order to prolong my soon to be gold status? I'm currently on 173 XP and if I hit 183 in July 2018 does that mean my Gold will expire in October 2019?
If you are operating on the assumption that you have a 15-month membership year, then your assumption is wrong.

In your scenario, where you say you are going DOWN levels, there is no scope for you to move from having an end-of-membership year of December 31 until the next time you go UP a level.

(The only thing that can change your membership year in the new Flying Blue is going up a level. For everyone who maintains their status going forward, or only ever drops in status, or who remains at Ivory/Explorer indefinitely -they will all have membership years than run from 1 January to December 31, and for those having status, each card will be issued with a validty until the end of March of the following year)
Old May 16, 2018, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
For somebody who already has Gold, the change to XPs isn't all that great. What HAS changed is getting to Gold from Ivory/Explorer - that is now significantly harder.

I don't see why you anticipate many people losing Gold.
Goldorak likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
The number of people losing Gold will not be significantly greater then in the past years, but the number of people reaching Gold will be lower.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:28 am

Hi guys,

so a weird thing happened. I have been gold for about 2 weeks now, and just booked a flight for a business trip via Concur on AF and KL.
Seems like the Gold status is not recognized - even on a brand new booking (not even ticketed yet) - it shows me as Silver.

Is there a way these days to force a refresh of status? Didn't find anything on KQ site.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Hi guys,

so a weird thing happened. I have been gold for about 2 weeks now, and just booked a flight for a business trip via Concur on AF and KL.
Seems like the Gold status is not recognized - even on a brand new booking (not even ticketed yet) - it shows me as Silver.

Is there a way these days to force a refresh of status? Didn't find anything on KQ site.
After ticketing, contact KLM on social media about it.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Hi guys,

Your new status may be showing on the website but it is clearly not feeding through on a 'wider scale' (strange as this would normally be the case with partner airlines). You may want to call customer services in order to get the frequent flyer number removed and manually re-added to see if any joys at all, otherwise Apple Wallet/electronic card are your friends whilst travelling.

G
Old May 16, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carel1
The number of people losing Gold will not be significantly greater then in the past years, but the number of people reaching Gold will be lower.
I would have thought that the number of people who, under current rules,go straight from no status to Gold to be a minute proportion of the overall number of golds and an even more infinitesimal proportion of lounge users (which, let us not forget, includes elite of other Skyteam FF schemes and business class passengers on AFKL and other skyteam airlines as well as a number of other partners). I would expect the change of rule to have a negligible impact on lounge frequentation. Normal variations in lounge use unrelated to variation in the number of elite members (such as, for instance, lower or higher of passengers linked to changes in economic conjuncture) would, I suspect, tend to have more of an impact on lounge occupancy than this change.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Your new status may be showing on the website but it is clearly not feeding through on a 'wider scale' (strange as this would normally be the case with partner airlines). You may want to call customer services in order to get the frequent flyer number removed and manually re-added to see if any joys at all, otherwise Apple Wallet/electronic card are your friends whilst travelling.

G
Good idea.
I know I can use the card itself of day of flight (and actually already used virtual card to get limited "skypriority" treatment the last time I flew), but I want to get some better seat game on. Status seems to be a determinant on that.
AlicorporateUK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.