Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by sbams
Why is that? Everybody will still have the same card they had on 31 March
Those who maintained status during 2017 would still have the card they received in Q1 2017 that's valid till April 2018. So potentially there could be up to 4 weeks from 1 April where some people don't have a valid physical card.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The only thing that can change your status year is if you go up in status.
[...]
The change from Level Miles/Segments to XPs on 1 April 2018 will only change membership years for the very few people who find that they go up in status as a result of the Level Miles/Segments to XP conversion. This does NOT apply to you
Today I recieved an eMail stating that I will maintain my status until 31 March 2019. In the same eMail they mention that I benefit from a "mileage cushion" based on my carry over miles. (The eMail is in German)

So I'm quite confident that, indeed, I'm not going to lose my "mileage cushion" but I'm not sure if my membership year is not moved to 1 April ...
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: Many
Ben Schlappig just reported that AA is becoming more and more restrictive on awards thanks to married segments logic (is that already applying to current FB awards btw?).

We still are in the dark about the new dynamic redemption scheme which makes me think that the more time FB is working on it without communicating the more complex and unfair it is going to be. The latest developments about DoD upgrades clearly is not a good sign.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: FB Plat 4 life
Here's the email received (guess it's the swiss_global french version ). It says my status is valid till march 2019, so far so good, no surprise. But the bottom panel says valid until Feb 1st 2020... Is it the rollover anticipation (should be 2021 in my situation as I've more than 180K reported), or simply the miles expiration date (and I see 29th of Feb 2020 in my online report, can be a slight delay due to the email generated few days ago ) ?

Tx !
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Tonin
But the bottom panel says valid until Feb 1st 2020... Is it the rollover anticipation (should be 2021 in my situation as I've more than 180K reported)
That is the expiry date of your Award Miles ["Miles-Prime"]. It means that your last recorded level-mileage earning flight was in January 2018.

Originally Posted by Tonin
(and I see 29th of Feb 2020 in my online report, can be a slight delay due to the email generated few days ago ) ?
Yes indeed, the emails are often based on an older, now out-of-date version of your account. If your online account referes to 29 Feb 2020, then that means you have had flight activity recorded during February 2018, and therefore the expiry of your Award Miles has been moved to the end of February 2020 (Award Miles are valid for two years from last extending activity).

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 7, 2018 at 1:57 am
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Today I recieved an eMail stating that I will maintain my status until 31 March 2019. In the same eMail they mention that I benefit from a "mileage cushion" based on my carry over miles. (The eMail is in German)

So I'm quite confident that, indeed, I'm not going to lose my "mileage cushion" but I'm not sure if my membership year is not moved to 1 April ...
The email is entirely consistent with the current (old) version of Flying Blue.

Based on 2017 flying, all statuses awarded are valid to 31 March 2019 (to the end of the membership year, plus with the three months' grace period). So instead of saying "you will maintain", it probably actually says that you have maintained your status until 31 March 2019. This decision was made during the annual level check, after 2017 was complete.

This should be self-evident and this doesn't refer in any way to the new programme.
wuzziduzziman likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by bodory
Ben Schlappig just reported that AA is becoming more and more restrictive on awards thanks to married segments logic (is that already applying to current FB awards btw?).
To me the logic is not yet applied ti FB.
But I do believe new FB scheme will directly apply a number of miles required for public booking classes for set OD couples.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by olivedel
To me the logic is not yet applied ti FB.
Hi olivedel

That's my understanding as well: if there is O availability on, say CDG-SIN, then it is available for pax willing to fly CDG-SIN as well as LHR-CDG-SIN.

Originally Posted by olivedel
But I do believe new FB scheme will directly apply a number of miles required for public booking classes for set OD couples.
My fear is that they will "simply" (in AF/KL language, hence understand the opposite) convert the number of miles into a new currency with a dynamic exchange rate for which the formula will of course remain a secret sauce.

We know the price they sell the mile (between 0.125 and 0.25 EUR depending on your FB status). They will probably re-buy it for a fraction of that price based on the dynamic algorithm.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others

Based on 2017 flying, all statuses awarded are valid to 31 March 2019 (to the end of the membership year, plus with the three months' grace period). So instead of saying "you will maintain", it probably actually says that you have maintained your status until 31 March 2019. This decision was made during the annual level check, after 2017 was complete.

This should be self-evident and this doesn't refer in any way to the new programme.
After seven years of Platinum I'm flying less, so I received soft landing after soft landing. Last year I was Silver and with not enough level miles for staying Silver I was expecting to become Ivory - and after my flights later this year become Silver again.

But now I received an email that Ě will be Silver until March 2019 (so this is NOT because I earned it) - and I'm happy, because the same travel will bring me Gold now later this year because of the new rules.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brobbel
After seven years of Platinum I'm flying less, so I received soft landing after soft landing. Last year I was Silver and with not enough level miles for staying Silver I was expecting to become Ivory - and after my flights later this year become Silver again.
Is there any chance you had 15 level segments in 2017 [including those awarded by a Flying Blue Amex, if you hold one]? Level Miles are not the only mechanism for earning status...

Originally Posted by Brobbel
But now I received an email that Ě will be Silver until March 2019 (so this is NOT because I earned it) - and I'm happy, because the same travel will bring me Gold now later this year because of the new rules.
If you had Silver status til March 2019, it would probably say that in your Flying Blue account. Have you checked? Or could the email be an error?

If none of the above applies, then perhaps FB have decided to comp you Silver for whatever reason.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P

Thanks, irishiguy28! The wording in the German version is rather pointing to the future than to the past ("Gute Neuigkeiten für Sie: Bis März 2019 genießen Sie den Gold-Status mit allen gewohnten Vorteilen." - no past tense in German), but I wouldn't overemphasize this, as it might be due to translation.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Is there any chance you had 15 level segments in 2017 [including those awarded by a Flying Blue Amex, if you hold one]? Level Miles are not the only mechanism for earning status...

If you had Silver status til March 2019, it would probably say that in your Flying Blue account. Have you checked? Or could the email be an error?

If none of the above applies, then perhaps FB have decided to comp you Silver for whatever reason.
I had only one flight (so 2 level segments) + some from my FB Amex, so I did not reach the 15 segments last year.

Unfortunately I can't see a date on either the KLM or the Air France website when I log in. Maybe I overlook something?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Well that is me now up to 29 segment flights for this calendar year and should be up to 60 by end of March. I certainly look forward to logging on early on the 1st of April to see my XP points.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
I received to e-mail from FB
One last december which said that i maintain my gold statut for another year, but two days ago i received an other e-mail which said that i will become silver because i didn't maintain my statut
No answer from FB
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by AurelAF96
I received to e-mail from FB
One last december which said that i maintain my gold statut for another year, but two days ago i received an other e-mail which said that i will become silver because i didn't maintain my statut
No answer from FB
So did you collect the necessary segments or miles last year to maintain the status?
I would take this as only indicator for status renewal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.