Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: FB Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Plat Premier
Sorry this may be a very obvious answer but for example:

I re-qualify for my Gold status by the end of this current year (31-12-17) but the new program begins on 01-04-18. Will our re-qualification deadline then be 31-03-19.

I might have missed something really simple
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by shotb83
Sorry this may be a very obvious answer but for example:

I re-qualify for my Gold status by the end of this current year (31-12-17) but the new program begins on 01-04-18. Will our re-qualification deadline then be 31-03-19.

I might have missed something really simple
In theory, as the change happens during every member's current qualification year, you shouldn't see any change in your requalification deadline. For most people, checking their account on 1 April next, after the XP changes, they will still see that their requalification deadline is 31 December 2018.

If, however, the conversion from Level Miles and segments to XP causes you to go up in status [which will only affect a very limited number of people, who have done significant travel in the first quarter], then your requalification deadline would switch to 31 March 2019.

If anyone goes up in status after 1 April 2018, they will see a new requalification deadline of one year from that date.

For as long as anyone manages to "maintain" their current level (i.e never fail to maintain status, but never go up in status either), their qualification deadline should remain 31 December of each subsequent year.

People will only start to "lose" 31 December as their requalification deadline when they start to go up in status - and the requalification date becomes 1 year from whatever date that was. [If you attain status on the last day of each calendar year, then you keep that date!!]

If, like me, you are a "Lifetime Ivory" member, your requalification deadline will remain 31 December in perpetuity

Last edited by irishguy28; Nov 6, 2017 at 7:36 am
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:31 am

How are you people managing to use the calculator? It just times out a bunch for me. If it loads then by the time I've entered the information it's broken again :|
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Cosiflyer
That name Experience Points must have been decided upon by a bunch of engineers and definitely not marketing. And then the abbreviation: XP... sounds more like EXPIRY Points to me than Experience Points. Because those points do actually expire, as soon as you upgrade to a higher level you start from scratch.
On the contrary - they don't expire at all, unlike the old system, where segments expired every Dec31 and miles as well, unless you maintained or increased your elite status.

XPs don't expire. They are used to renew. Think of them as a wallet, you gain coins for every flight, and when you have enough coins, you use them to buy status.

Originally Posted by AlvinMaker
The Flying Blue Miles Calculator has been updated. It confirms the "Domestic" XP earning for a domestic transcontinental Delta flight, and it's also a good occasion to compare (Award) miles accrual between the old & new scheme:

LAS-JFK DL Business(J)
XP = 6
Award Miles before vs. Miles after the change:
IVORY 4303 vs. 3926
SILVER 5533 vs. 5889
GOLD 6147 vs. 6870
PLATINUM 6762 vs. 7852
Wait, did they change the tables? The Ivory mileage should stay the same right?

Also, the Award Miles Before column seems to be wrong, that looks like some totally random numbers, not 25/50/100 elite benefits

Originally Posted by irishguy28
We don't know if a Soft Landing applies in the new scheme, so I can't tell you when and if a Gold could end up back at Ivory (if they actually accumulated less than 100XP) or if silver is guaranteed as long as new XPs were earned during the year (as is currently the case)
Soft landing applies.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CyBeR
How are you people managing to use the calculator? It just times out a bunch for me. If it loads then by the time I've entered the information it's broken again :|
Try clearing cache/deleting cookies for FB.com.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Try a different browser/computer.

Works fine for me on a desktop.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Soft landing applies.
Is that in writing somewhere? Would love to see - thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly
KL has a weird system prior to FB that was so complicated and weird that they jettisoned it at the start of FB, and that was a breath of fresh air.
It was also extremely generous if you were based outside the Netherlands. I'll spare you the details, but I'll happily take the old Flying Dutchman over any current FF program.

Johan
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:43 am

Some more interesting topics:
- Will domestic F in the United States post as Business or First?
- How will operational upgrades post? If you are Plat and getting upgrades from Y to F all the time in the U.S. on domestic flights, will you get 10 XP for each of those flights or will they stick to the originally purchased cabin?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
It was also extremely generous if you were based outside the Netherlands. I'll spare you the details, but I'll happily take the old Flying Dutchman over any current FF program.

Johan
So was BA Executive Club - for residents of continental Europe, there were far lower qualification thresholds.

Then they changed all that, which went down badly.

But a subsequent change was very good.

Instead of - as will be the case in FB's new scheme, and as was the case in the "old" version of BA Executive Club - clearing the Tier Points (their equivalent of "XPs") and resetting the "year" timer each time a new status was attained, they decided to NOT reset the TP/XP timer, and to NOT reset the "year" timer.

FB, however, have decided to go for the most customer-unfriendly version of the scheme - the "targets" are comparable to what they had in the old scheme, but they now re-set your XPs when you go up a level, thereby making it FAR harder to go up.

Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by dimitriyremerov
FB, however, have decided to go for the most customer-unfriendly version of the scheme - the "targets" are comparable to what they had in the old scheme, but they now re-set your XPs when you go up a level, thereby making it FAR harder to go up.

It's not harder to go up one level; just harder to go up more than one level within one year.

Currently, you can go from no account to platinum in one year by just flying 60 legs (or getting however many level miles you need). In this new system you need to already be gold to do that.

Last edited by CyBeR; Nov 6, 2017 at 7:54 am
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Johan, we both know that, but this is like the old BA TP system and its quite awkward.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will post as it currently does; dictated by the Fare Class and the Delta Table

- How will operational upgrades post? If you are Plat and getting upgrades from Y to F all the time in the U.S. on domestic flights, will you get 10 XP for each of those flights or will they stick to the originally purchased cabin?
There is no reason to suspect that they will not post differently than the way they currently do - you earn on the basis of the ticket bought. (However, it can happen that DL issues a new ticket and/or somehow changes the fare bucket of your ticket - it happened to me recently, having been bumped from the second sector of a flight due to irrops, I ended up making my connection but found that my seat had been given away and I had to wait at the gate, but I was thenput back on when there was one no-show as the gate was closing - I got a ticket in full-fare Y despite travelling on an award ticket - so you may end up earning on the basis of a different fare class than the one you actually bought)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Is that in writing somewhere? Would love to see - thanks.
In the original posts, it even says no FB flight is needed anymore for soft landing. I can't even find reference to currect soft landing in FB pages, so can't post official T&C I'm afraid

op-ups would almost always post as original class. I don't see why here would be different.
I'm mostly interested about paid upgrades... That could be interesting.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
In the original posts, it even says no FB flight is needed anymore for soft landing. I can't even find reference to currect soft landing in FB pages, so can't post official T&C I'm afraid
I have never seen any official confirmation in writing of soft landings - the best we've had, I think, is verbal confirmations, and we know the current established practice - so that's why I am very curious to see what you said was written down!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.