Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The same issue arises every year at the end of the year where they perform the level check for everyone and calculate the rollover for those that qualify for one. [The difference this time is that everyone with a non-zero balance will get a roll-over!]

It is not a.process that is performed once only, on the stated date, with later-posting miles ignored. If miles hit your account later, for flights taken in the old scheme, the changeover conversion will be updated to reflect this.
So this is what has happened to me. Any flights that were posted before April 1st got the 1000miles to 5 XP rate but flights taken before April 1st but not yet posted got the new table based rate. I took a flight yesterday 31st and it posted today 1st, not with a level miles converted rate but with the new table rate.

However my biggest beef was when I had some issues getting some flights taken last month posting to my acccount from CI. Flying Blue wanted to deal with the issue after April 1st until I pointed out that the XP earned would be less with XP table rate rather than if they had posted correctly as level miles THEN converted to XP on April 1st.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Am I losing my interweb skillz or has the miles calculator disappeared?

There is a crappy "flight type simulator" at the bottom of the "programme" page but it does not give you the number of XP or the possibility to select which airline you will fly
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Wunk
Not really the correct thread.

But when you booked your flight, you should've gotten an overview/ticket which lists the fare rules for cancelling and listing your full your itinerary in the official way.
Now Joon isn't a low cost airline, but it is a 'lower cost' airline then AirFrance is (they say it themselves in their yearly report of 2017), I quote 'the lower cost base of the new airline Joon' in their Q4 2017 press release.

Main question is, did Airfrance change your itinerary AFTER you booked it? Or was Joon a part of the route and you did not notice beforehand. Also: did the flight number change when they changed it?

An airline can give you a 14 day heads-up on any schedule changes and you have to basically suck it up. You might be able push it to a 'cancelled' flight if the flight number for the Joon segment changed AFTER you booked and ask for an alternate rebooking/route as you don't agree with this one. But it's all a very grey area on what they have to do for you, especially if nothing really changed in your flight times.
Thanks for the info about the "lower cost" airline.

Air France changed the operator after I booked the ticket. However, the flight number is the same.

My argument is: I paid for X, but I am getting X - 1. So, I suppose that Air France should pay some compensation for that '-1'. I think I am reasonably logical, but I need to have an expert opinion before I make a fuss out of it with Air France.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club
My pleasure. It was mentioned on their Flying Blue website. Also check on the Wiki information above at the beginning of the page on this thread.

Have a great day,

Alex
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by caliform
Wow, these new card designs are rather infantile.
Agree, very sophmoric looking.

As for the 'Flying Blue for Me' slogan, definitely approved by somebody for whom English is a second language
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:21 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Enthilza
Am I losing my interweb skillz or has the miles calculator disappeared?

There is a crappy "flight type simulator" at the bottom of the "programme" page but it does not give you the number of XP or the possibility to select which airline you will fly
That's all I can find as well. Hope the Calculator returns for all the non-AFKL Miles flying to be done. Also I find the transaction history is a muddled, mess.

Not impressed with new website so far: lots of flashy pictures of the "beautiful, young people on holiday". I'd rather just have an easy accessible, clear presentation of the important information: my profile, XP, transaction history, airline earn/spend rates etc (i.e. the old website was fine). Perhaps it's all for the JOON/millenial crowd.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:39 am

Flighr before 1/4 posted after

What i was expecting arrived
they posted at new xp rate, and note conversion rate pre 1/4
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I can't find any mention of the share and fly, one of the benefits of the FB amex. Did it got silently scrapped?

Edit: Found some mention of it on the page https://www.flyingblue.fr/fr/financi...ailed-platinum but it's not implemented yet in the new profile.

Last edited by Mirk; Apr 1, 2018 at 6:52 am
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:46 am

Mijn reis naar Warschau
19 February 2018
+1,232 Miles

I've just logged in to my account (.pl) and wonder why they switched to Dutch (same if I log-in through the UK website, though...)

That aside, the card's graphic looks a bit 'cheap' and the Flying Blue For Me fairly amateurish.

G
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
One thing I'm noticing with the new web appearence is that the years-towards-platinum counter seems to be gone. Also, I can't find the date of first qualification to plat anymore. Did anybody find this information, or is it definitely gone?
My new qualification phase end date shows 31/12/18, while my first time plat date was in early November 2013. A minor inconsistency compared to what had been announced.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club
Originally Posted by Mirk
I can't find any mention of the share and fly, one of the benefits of the FB amex. Did it got silently scrapped?
Same, it seems not as per the FB AMEX description on the FB website. The advantage is still mentioned. Maybe is a bug or not-yet-finished website?

Alex
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by majik
So this is what has happened to me. Any flights that were posted before April 1st got the 1000miles to 5 XP rate but flights taken before April 1st but not yet posted got the new table based rate. I took a flight yesterday 31st and it posted today 1st, not with a level miles converted rate but with the new table rate.

However my biggest beef was when I had some issues getting some flights taken last month posting to my acccount from CI. Flying Blue wanted to deal with the issue after April 1st until I pointed out that the XP earned would be less with XP table rate rather than if they had posted correctly as level miles THEN converted to XP on April 1st.
Got the flights on 31st calculated in XP. and FB promised to add 7 XP for the AF canceled flight, which they didn't.
So i lost points and thus barely made it to Silver, and further away from the next level..Good job AF/KL!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
One thing I'm noticing with the new web appearence is that the years-towards-platinum counter seems to be gone.
I don't seem to be able to find it either but I'm fairly sure (or, rather, hoping) they're still working on the website hence I'll probably log-out now and log back in towards the end of next week to see what's occurring and whether all the previous features have been reinstated (or not).

G
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: KL Plat
My flights from yesterday posted at the new rate for miles and XP. so 20 vs 28 XP and 644 vs 1200 miles! Luckily I didn't choose an intra-France flight yesterday...
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:51 am

Im happy with the convert that made me abit closer to retain gold then I was before, and I like the new design in the app (got an update of KL-app this morning to.my android). But the website www.flyingblue.com is not working for me at all. I can not reach the calc to account how much XP I will earn from my next flights. Anyone having problems with the website?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.