Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
It feels like they're getting rid of the craziness in mileage earning. I.e. A flight earns a minimum of 750 miles, but the fare class only provides 25% of that. So for instance AMS-LHR which is a 250 miles flight, earns 750 miles but only when you book full flex economy.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:15 am

Seems like segment runs are still possible here although they have increased the thresholds a little bit...
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Gajan was right, those changes aren't so bad. In my case, I wish the change had happened last year, I would rollover a good bunch of XP instead of nothing since I reached the 60 flights but not the 70k.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Don't forget the FB Amex! You get 15 XP added to your account on the anniversary date if you have the Silver card, while it's 30 XP and 60 XP respectively for Gold and Platinum.

Ah, I hadn't seen that.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
I think this loyalty programme will go hand in hand with a revised fare structure.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CyBeR
So basically now if you fly mostly within Europe and qualify by segments today, you'll need 20 segments instead of 15 to be silver, 36 instead of 30 for gold and still 60 for platinum, but you can lower those amounts by taking the occasional long haul.

If you fly mostly domestic in France then I guess buckle up.
If it works like this then - great. It's an evolution rather than a revolution.

The XP for European flights seem fair assuming we will receive e.g. 10 XP for a r/t London to Athens via Paris.

Domestic at 2 XP seems strange, as it means a flight from BCN to PMI (45 minutes) would rack up the same XP as Boston to LAX (7 hours)?

Don't forget the FB Amex! You get 15 XP added to your account on the anniversary date if you have the Silver card, while it's 30 XP and 60 XP respectively for Gold and Platinum.

Ah, I hadn't seen that.

---

I agree with the above -- these changes aren't super terrible and may even make it easier to reach some kind of status if you fly business somewhere even once a year. Effectively if you were to apply this new scheme to the current segment-based scheme, a long-haul business class flight suddenly gives you a bunch of segments instead of just one.

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
For those at the presentation, what will happen to the qualifying flights taken between 1st of January till 1st of April? Will we start earning XP during this period or are they just going wasted?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: FB Platinum
They are also eliminating the (pointless) divide between French residents and non-French residents, which is rather good news.

Let's see what benefits the Abonnée card will bring in terms of miles/XP earnings, combining AF Amex + Abonnée card might give a decent boost towards status.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
No longer tied to the calendar year

One thing that hasn't been picked up yet - the calendar year will no longer be relevant.

From each new level achieved/retained, you have 12 months in which to advance in status or retain that status.

(Wonder if "soft-landing" will still apply?)

This also means that "roll-overs" are effectively a thing of the past - you will simply start your new, higher status with the excess amount of XPs that put you over the previous threshold.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by Mirk
For those at the presentation, what will happen to the qualifying flights taken between 1st of January till 1st of April? Will we start earning XP during this period or are they just going wasted?
Your level miles and qualifying flights earned before 1st of April will be converted to XP at a rate of 1000 miles for 5 XP and 1 qualifying flight for 7 XP.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See above - I posted the conversion table to be used on March 31 (post 11).

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
they will be converted
At the end of March, your Level Miles and segments will be converted to XPs as follows. Whichever gives you the highest amount goes into your Flying Bluer account

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Miles will be converted at the basis of 1000 Level Miles = 5 XP
Qualifying flights as of 1 QF = 7 XP

You'll get the max of the two.

You have 3,000 Level Miles and 5 qualifying flights:
15 XP from LM, 35 XP from QF => You'll get 35 XP.

Or, imagine you have 20,000 Level Miles and 9 qualifying flights:
100 XP from LM, 63 XP from Q => You'll get 100 XP.

In my case, it seems that I will have at least 225 XP by April 1, 2018, which is pretty good.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Ah, I hadn't seen that.
The FB Amex becomes the segment-runners' best friend now. If you can justify the cost of the card. (Some may value the extra Miles - I don't!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.