Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
It will post as it currently does; dictated by the Fare Class and the Delta Table
I meant XP points, not Miles.
There's no table for that.
There is no reason to suspect that they will not post differently than the way they currently do - you earn on the basis of the ticket bought. (However, it can happen that DL issues a new ticket and/or somehow changes the fare bucket of your ticket - it happened to me recently, having been bumped from the second sector of a flight due to irrops, I ended up making my connection but found that my seat had been given away and I had to wait at the gate, but I was thenput back on when there was one no-show as the gate was closing - I got a ticket in full-fare Y despite travelling on an award ticket - so you may end up earning on the basis of a different fare class than the one you actually bought)
Right now they post level miles based on purchased fare. Now it will be based on cabin. It's still different, therefore I suspect that could be changed as well.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:55 am

Am happy to see that if you are Platinum already and continue flying in the same way you will be renewed Platinum, we could say even more easily.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dimitriyremerov
I meant XP points, not Miles.
There's no table for that.
You are not going to earn "Miles" for one class, and XP points for another. (note that the table currently dictates how many LEVEL miles you get, too; so you can see how this will translate to the XP table. If you're "Economy Class" according to the partner earning table, and assuming you are in a class that actually earns miles, that's what you will earn XP points for, too).

All earning will be dictated by the fare bucket of the purchased ticket.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: FB Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Plat Premier
I'm FB Gold currently and surprisingly I have run my YTD flights through excel using the flight calculator and bearing in mind I am still a couple of segments away from re-qualification for next year, I would comfortably have re-qualified for Gold again already with 255 XP points unless you need the 100 for Silver + 180 for Gold?.

I never envisaged this new program to be in my favour but I have flown a few Business Class flights in Europe this year so they quickly add up. If that is the case it benefits me more than the qualifying flights did in that instance.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:58 am

Wondering if AMS-BON would post as domestic flight
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It won't. KLM no longer operates any domestic flights (notwithstanding the political status of the ABC islands)!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:59 am

KL does not have domestic flights; that flight would earn you 30XP in WBC.

You are not going to earn "Miles" for one class, and XP points for another. (note that the table currently dictates how many LEVEL miles you get, too; so you can see how this will translate to the XP table. If you're "Economy Class" according to the partner earning table, and assuming you are in a class that actually earns miles, that's what you will earn XP points for, too).

The question is do you get XP as per the "First" row, or "Business"? The cabin class is First so one would expect that to be leading.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:00 am

The initial question to that post was about whether the domestic DL tickets bought in F would post as Business (6XP) or First (10XP).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:01 am

I have the French American Express Flying Blue Gold card

its annual renewal is in February, I'm thinking about dumping it to get a traditional Amex Gold card

what do you think ?

Flying Blue is getting worst and worst and I am pretty sure the Amex won't get me any perk with FB
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have a ticket in F, P, A or G issued by Delta, then it is "First" according to the table and should earn "First" XPs.

(However, if you book it under an AF or KL number on an AFKL-issued ticket, it will probably be issued in a "Business" class fare, so watch out)

Last edited by irishguy28; Nov 6, 2017 at 8:07 am
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:02 am

I got different results for the "current" earning for J class (i.e. actual J class - you can specify each individual available business class)

DL "Z" also shown below.
That's because I meant LAX and not LAS - sorry. Yes actual J.
I corrected the initial post above, see also:

Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
FB, however, have decided to go for the most customer-unfriendly version of the scheme - the "targets" are comparable to what they had in the old scheme, but they now re-set your XPs when you go up a level, thereby making it FAR harder to go up.

Originally Posted by CyBeR
It's not harder to go up one level; just harder to go up more than one level.

Currently, you can go from no account to platinum in one year by just flying 60 legs (or getting however many level miles you need). In this new system you need to already be gold to do that.
It makes it also easier to earn on segments if you occasionally score a premium cabin - one European business class is worth 3 eco segments - and if you fly longhaul - 2 segments per 1 before, and for mid tier business class, used to be 150% miles, which would take you about 6-7% on the way from Gold to Plat on a 4000 mile flight, now it is 30XP and 10% of the way.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:06 am

If you can get them issued in F, then they are First. But I don't believe that DL issues "Domestic First" in those fare categories. (Any Domestic "First" I have ever flown on DL has been in I or Z, and therefore "Business" for FB purposes)
But DL does not have international First, so that makes no sense.

That said, connecting itineraries in Business do tend to book into I or Z.

Originally Posted by shotb83
I'm FB Gold currently and surprisingly I have run my YTD flights through excel using the flight calculator and bearing in mind I am still a couple of segments away from re-qualification for next year, I would comfortably have re-qualified for Gold again already with 255 XP points unless you need the 100 for Silver + 180 for Gold?.

I never envisaged this new program to be in my favour but I have flown a few Business Class flights in Europe this year so they quickly add up. If that is the case it benefits me more than the qualifying flights did in that instance.
I have done the same and while my leisurely flying habits (paid out of pocket) will manage to get silver this year only because of a quick segment run with the last segment on dec 30, over 2017 I would've qualified comfortably plus a substantial rollover already in june.

The new earning scheme really rewards occasional premium cabin travel a lot more than the old scheme did if qualifying on segments. In the current scheme I got three segments for a business class trip (AMS-NRT, CTS-ICN-AMS) while under then new scheme that gives 87XP.

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
It makes it also easier to earn on segments if you occasionally score a premium cabin - one European business class is worth 3 eco segments - and if you fly longhaul - 2 segments per 1 before, and for mid tier business class, used to be 150% miles, which would take you about 6-7% on the way from Gold to Plat on a 4000 mile flight, now it is 30XP and 10% of the way.

Yes, that.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enzo0511
what do you think ?
Based on what I've seen, the FB Amex adds nothing. (Even the current one was of no interest to me).

Only you can decide if the 30 XPs are worth the huge fee.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry - longrunning script breakdown lead to duplicate posting.

(I hate the ads on FT)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.