Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: KL Plat
The base milage FCO-BCN seems to be 526. So assuming you are Gold (0.75 bonus), and all AZ Business fares earn 200% then the 1447 miles is correct. 1315 miles could be explained by a 0.5x Elite bonus but then that makes no sense.

Originally Posted by SteveCanary
With AZ, miles are still credited under old rules then FCO-BCN and BCN-FCO (both when I was FB silver) should have earned the same amount.
So you were silver at the time, in which case it seems you gold the Gold earning for the return flight for some reason...

Hmm now I read again you say you achieved gold, so ignore me, it's the FCO-NCE that doesn't seem right
Old May 29, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: FB Ultimate - BA EC - LH M&M - Accor All Gold
Originally Posted by Solevita
The base milage FCO-BCN seems to be 526. So assuming you are Gold (0.75 bonus), and all AZ Business fares earn 200% then the 1447 miles is correct. 1315 miles could be explained by a 0.5x Elite bonus but then that makes no sense.

So you were silver at the time, in which case it seems you gold the Gold earning for the return flight for some reason...
It seems I didn't get it for the right leg then !
Thanks for your reply.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
It also confirms what I have been seeing. In my calculations I was assuming that the Alitalia minimum distance would be 750 (Which it always was),
See post number 1621 ! perhaps at some distant point in FB's early history it was 750, but for the last few years AZ had a minimum of 500 miles for all flights.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bodory
FWIW paid upgrades at OLCI won't accrue more miles.
They never did, for the last several years.

At least now you DO get extra miles (cos of the extra payment). so you could say that the new programme is better than the old one in this regard
Old May 29, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand what those 4 "Bonus" lines in the middle are... (zero miles, zero XP, trip to Paris !!!)
The title says "My trip to Nice" when it was a trip to Barcelona...
I think you can safely ignore these as obvious glitches that have no impact on your earning anyway.

I also have the weird "Bonus miles for trip to Europe" and "Bonus miles for trip to Paris" showing up for my just-completed trip to/from Germany.

[Perhaps Flying Blue is having some sort of promotion - for some selected/invited members, or members enrolled in certain jurisdictions - which involved the generation of extra miles for certain types of trip - and perhaps they implemented it badly so that these lines appear in ALL current mileage statements, even for those for whom this promo doesn't apply!!!]
Attached Images  
Old May 29, 2018, 6:34 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
See post number 1621 ! perhaps at some distant point in FB's early history it was 750, but for the last few years AZ had a minimum of 500 miles for all flights.
Thanks! Somehow I didn't notice your post on this subject. I think the issue is that I always thought that the 750 miles minimum was a generic FB characteristic, while in realityit seems to be related to the specific airline.

Hello,
I had a return fligth NCE-FCO-BCN on Alitalia business class last WE and the result in my account needs a few explanations !
XP are correct but I don't understand why the return BCN-FCO leg has got more miles.
It is true that I became FB gold after this leg, but then I would have understood the last leg (FCO-NCE) gets more miles which is not the case.
I don't understand what those 4 "Bonus" lines in the middle are... (zero miles, zero XP, trip to Paris !!!)
The title says "My trip to Nice" when it was a trip to Barcelona...
And finally, the AZ fligth numbers are truncated..
Any ideas ?
Thanks.
That's quite odd. I also recently flew AZ but didn't have the strange additional records. I did have the same truncated flights numbers though:

By the way, if it wasn't for the sucky service (and product) that AZ offers this would actually be a good way to gain status.. Three such roundtrips is enough for gold! And in my case about ~7.5 euro per XP - though I do believe they sometimes have even better deals.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Thanks! Somehow I didn't notice your post on this subject. I think the issue is that I always thought that the 750 miles minimum was a generic FB characteristic, while in realityit seems to be related to the specific airline.
It always was airline-specific. With UX, for instance, there was no minimum so you could earn genuinely pitiful mileages on international flights. I once had a LIS-MAD flight earning me 84 miles, for instance.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
They should accrue miles, just not XP.
However the miles are credited some days later than for the flight itself.
You are right. My mistake.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Actually I can confirm that it's until end of the same month next year:

This is really interesting. Did you go from Gold to Platinum or just requalifyed?

Im very close requalify for FB Gold again (got 158 of 180XP). Schould I wait to credit those last flights (and 22XPs) I need to FB until the end of the year to extend my period of Gold next year? Any one that can explain this? Thanks
Old May 30, 2018, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by criced
This is really interesting. Did you go from Gold to Platinum or just requalifyed?
The clue is in the term "level change".

And any current gold cannot just randomly "requalify" in the middle of the membership year - just "requalifying" would mean that you reach the end of your current membership year WITHOUT reaching the target of 300XP for Platinum. So, to just "requalify" as Gold, you would have to run out the entirety of the current membership year - which could not possibly be any earlier than 31 December 2018.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL

Im very close requalify for FB Gold again (got 158 of 180XP). Schould I wait to credit those last flights (and 22XPs) I need to FB until the end of the year to extend my period of Gold next year? Any one that can explain this? Thanks
Silver to Gold.

irishguy28 is right, you can't just randomly requalify, otherwise it would be impossible to ever gain a level - even if you flew a 4 leg business return every week, you would just keep requalifying Gold each month.

so in your case, unless you get further 120XP before end of year - which would mean you level up to Platinum and your year is reset - you will be requalled for Gold after the qualification period passes, lose 180XP, and be Gold for next year.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: FB Platinum
You do not loose XP, they are carried over.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
XP are correct but I don't understand why the return BCN-FCO leg has got more miles.
Were the booking class (fares) different between FCO-BCN and BCN-FCO ?

Indeed, strange.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL

Originally Posted by KLBGO
You do not loose XP, they are carried over.
You lose 180XP. The rest is indeed carried over.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: FB Ultimate - BA EC - LH M&M - Accor All Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Were the booking class (fares) different between FCO-BCN and BCN-FCO ?
No, same class/fare for all 4 legs.
The only explanation could be that the change in status didn't apply to the right leg...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.