Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do I get to enjoy elite benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:11 am
Original Poster

When do I get to enjoy elite benefits?

I'm looking to fly the well-known intra-Europe mileage run to IKT/IST/TLV. I am currently Flying Blue Ivory and have about 6k level miles (you rookie!). I am calculating the number of award miles I would gain from this run when I perform it on three separate weekends in December. During the course of the run, my status will change into Silver and later into Gold (I got it up to 14 segments and 44k-something level miles for only 6800NOK).

Do I get the elite bonus on the remaining flights after I make Silver/Gold (so the 50% and 75% on top) right after making the new level, or is the new level applied at the start of the new year? If that is the case, it would make sense to postpone some of the flights to 2018, to get even more award miles out of this one.

Curious to find out how your experiences are on this topic!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum
You get the enhanced awards as soon as you reach a level. Be aware that the multipliers only affect award miles not level miles but do go for the level miles now as you can carry level miles over into the new year - see the FB website for details.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:54 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Personally I have found that, within Europe, many short flights (and qualifying by segments) is easier and cheaper than qualifying by miles. Especially with airlines like Air Europa you can do many segments for very cheap. However whatever works for you of course
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
If you do this over three weekends in January, wouldn't you then get another year of status?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: KLM
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Personally I have found that, within Europe, many short flights (and qualifying by segments) is easier and cheaper than qualifying by miles. Especially with airlines like Air Europa you can do many segments for very cheap. However whatever works for you of course
I agree on this one. I just hot my 30 flights for Gold yesterday. To get those I have been from Netherlands to Australia twice (two flights each way).
I have also had to do many flights to the UK, there are plenty of others but the 740 euro that the OP will spend is pretty cheap to be honest.

I will say that they apply the rules differently depending on who you speak to and I will also say I am not massively happy with the benefits so far. I really just wanted to lounge access as that makes travel and meetings far easier for me that lingering around noisy terminals trying to do a call.

With all those miles to Australia and back and all around Europe + two US trips I have only managed 25000 level miles. Which makes me glad I didnt try to do this with Delta.

Let me know if the mile run works though, I would be interested in that next year possibly to just keep it all on track
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tim_R
I'm looking to fly the well-known intra-Europe mileage run to IKT/IST/TLV. I am currently Flying Blue Ivory and have about 6k level miles (you rookie!). I am calculating the number of award miles I would gain from this run when I perform it on three separate weekends in December. During the course of the run, my status will change into Silver and later into Gold (I got it up to 14 segments and 44k-something level miles for only 6800NOK).
I think that there may be some wrong in your simulations.
You suggest that you can earn some 38K level miles with three trips to IKT/IST/TLV spending only some 700EUR. Frankly, I don't see how you could do that. Your use of NOK suggest from Norway. But you would have to get the most expensive business class to get around 30K
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by brunos
I think that there may be some wrong in your simulations.
You suggest that you can earn some 38K level miles with three trips to IKT/IST/TLV spending only some 700EUR. Frankly, I don't see how you could do that. Your use of NOK suggest from Norway. But you would have to get the most expensive business class to get around 30K
It is possible
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies! Glad to know that the benefits kick in instantly and indeed - if that is the case, it makes more sense to make the trips early next year. I'm trying to work them into my schedule right now, because the price is crazy to get to gold status (and the award miles practically even out the cost of the ticket). Only drawback is that it requires an expensive positioning flight to Aalesund, can't figure out a way to get around that.

I'm based in NL, and this is my itinerary so far:
Attached Images  
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that the benefits kick in only after the flights have posted to your FF account and your status is updated in your FF account. In some cases, you even need a card showing your status to access airport lounges. OTOH, if a delay is a flight's posting causes you to earn fewer miles on a subsequent flight, you might be able to have this corrected if you're willing to go through the hassle.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:27 am

Only drawback is that it requires an expensive positioning flight to Aalesund, can't figure out a way to get around that.
Other, non-Norwegian airports were/are available too.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
That's impressive indeed.
I would never think of attempting the itinerary printed given the misconnect and unpleasant travel, but interesting that you could buy Gold for some 700.
Whether it will still hold under the new FB system is a question with Z fare is a question.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that the benefits kick in only after the flights have posted to your FF account and your status is updated in your FF account. In some cases, you even need a card showing your status to access airport lounges.
Although, in this case - lounge access should be accessible through business class travel anyway.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue
search

Last edited by lascarb; Oct 15, 2017 at 11:30 am
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:00 pm

I'm based in NL, and this is my itinerary so far:
Be wary about your TLV turnaround, you will most likely have to clear immigration, then go through security and immigration on your way out, I would advise grabbing the morning AF flight if you are not interested in actually visiting.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Damn, this seems interesting. I'm pretty tempted to join you in your efforts, although I'm busy every march weekend from the looks of it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.