Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Your flight is in 2018, discover Flying Blue new programme rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your flight is in 2018, discover Flying Blue new programme rules

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7ľł © ™
Originally Posted by NickB
IIRC, historically, FB has applied new earning rules regardless of booking date although the legality of such an approach is rather dubious.
More reasons for me not to book any more flights for next year just yet. Joon flights to BKK is another, the flights are showing as best seats but I am told that its 99% certain that they wont be.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
FB had already been moving to a spend-linked system. Having a mathematical dollar multiplier rather than a fare-bucket-linked system will introduce some differences but not major ones. let's say that it is an evolution based on FB getting more detailed data on tickets.
The big question is whether they will keep elite qualification on segments, which is the easy way to get status for most. THAT would be the revolution
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
How symptomatic of Flying Blue's chronic moronic incompetence to inadvertantly give customers and competitors a head start through internet hiccups rather than at the time they choose to launch their programme revamp and advertise their rules to others.

on the link between spend and elite status, the interesting thing is that the three main us airlines do things a little bit differently from one another, not least for non-us based members.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by brunos
FB had already been moving to a spend-linked system. Having a mathematical dollar multiplier rather than a fare-bucket-linked system will introduce some differences but not major ones. let's say that it is an evolution based on FB getting more detailed data on tickets.
The big question is whether they will keep elite qualification on segments, which is the easy way to get status for most. THAT would be the revolution
The impact is highly dependent on one's booking pattern, there is no clear-cut way to assess the "damage" for everyone. Based on my typical itineraries this would cut my earnings in half, at least. That's major. If they mess around with the segments, too, then I would likely go through far less trouble to fly ST.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FaBSy
If you pay a lot you get a lot of miles, if you fly cheap (e.g. errorfare or just great fares) you may fly a lot of miles but get no real value?
To be honest, that's more or less how it currently operates anyway.

But yes - this will more explicitly tie the earning to the amount spent.

FB becomes the second European FFP (after Aer Lingus Aerclub) to tie earning to the cash price of the ticket.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
The impact is highly dependent on one's booking pattern, there is no clear-cut way to assess the "damage" for everyone. Based on my typical itineraries this would cut my earnings in half, at least. That's major. If they mess around with the segments, too, then I would likely go through far less trouble to fly ST.
Indeed this is very much depends on one's booking pattern, this year I had quite a lot of short-haul not-so-cheap segments, that only gave me 25% earnings, so I would have most likely made more miles on those.
On the other hand it seems to be bad for the more expensive tickets, for example a 100% earning U class ticket CPT-AMS r/t is over 12K level/basic miles today, and only costs around 2000€... a cheap Z r/t is also around the same price.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Except that it is unlikely that €s spent on taxes and/or charges would count, so that €99 fare would translate to, say, a €58 base fare on AMS-BCN-AMS for instance. That's why I asked about the asterisk.
My next trip to LHR - in 2018 as it happens! - has a base fare of just €35 from a total price of €99.19

So instead of the 300 miles the KL website tells me this would stand to earn just €35*4 = 140 miles.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
The spending requirement in US programs is only for US residents.
Maybe* but looking at it from the perspective that preoccupies us here, somehow I do not think that any FB spending requirements would be for US residents only.

*: although I was under the impression that the AA one was universal and not just North America only
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:10 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Maybe* but looking at it from the perspective that preoccupies us here, somehow I do not think that any FB spending requirements would be for US residents only.

*: although I was under the impression that the AA one was universal and not just North America only
You are right, AA doesn't have any waiver for non-US residents.

The logic behind UA and DL waivers is that with the introduction of "Qualifying Dollars" they took the opportunity to add a new "benefit" to their credit cards by adding a waiver of the qualifying dollars requirements if one spends a certain amount per year with the credit card (DL even increased the minimum amount to $250K for Diamond Medallions). Since it's difficult for non-US residents to get their branded card, they excluded them from the requirements.

AA, on the other hand, as co-branded credit cards with many banks in other countries.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
FB had already been moving to a spend-linked system. Having a mathematical dollar multiplier rather than a fare-bucket-linked system will introduce some differences but not major ones.
Perhaps Euro rather than dollar would be more appropriate ?
On the substantive point, I disagree. Firstly, there are huge variation in price within the ticket type and booking class depending on routes. Secondly, while there is at a very broad relationship between price and miles earned on a given route if look at it from a very long distance, in that more expensive tickets tend to earn more than cheap ones, that relationship is not linear: the fact that a ticket is 3 or 4 times more expensive does not mean that it will earn 3 of 4 more times miles. It might be anything from earning x1.50 more to x10 more. Moving to a spend-based system is likely to make significant differences in earnings for many.

Last edited by NickB; Oct 2, 2017 at 3:17 am
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDQBound
AA, on the other hand, as co-branded credit cards with many banks in other countries.
They do but with bonuses and perks which are nowhere near what is available to US credit card holders (similar story to what happens with hotel chains-branded credit cards) so I am not sure it is a significant element.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
They do but with bonuses and perks which are nowhere near what is available to US credit card holders (similar story to what happens with hotel chains-branded credit cards) so I am not sure it is a significant element.
And no EQD waivers either (at least in the UK).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chil
This doesn't look very promising even though I kinda expected it to go this way given what we have now in the US with all major airlines. However, the euro-to-miles conversion rate is worse than what we get here.

As an AA executive platinum member (the highest tier) I earn 11 miles per dollar spent. The lower tiers earn: platinum pro -- 9 miles/$, platinum (equivalent to FB gold) -- 8 miles/$, gold (equivalent of FB silver) -- 7 miles/$; no status (like ivory) -- 5 miles/$.

Given that in general people use air transport more often in the US than in Europe, this all gives very bad impression about the program. I would predict that many people would migrate to Delta SkyMiles or other programs once FB has implemented these changes.
DL and AF-KL will collude again against consumers who participate in their “loyalty” programs.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes.
DL elite status qualification is still mostly based upon actual miles flown. While most of its program members must meet the miles and flight spending criteria to reach elite status, the two criteria are not applicable to all. Much the same goes for UA.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hmm.. if what has been shown is true, I wonder how much do we need to spend to even get a one way flight in F? May as well just use that spend money to fly in F rather than try and save up the miles to redeem for it (assuming starting from 0).

This is rather crazy since Europe is not like in the US where miles can be churned out from the different credit cards promotions, etc.

Unless there will also be changes in the current award charts, this will basically make the program useless for award flights but maybe just for elite status (which will be much more difficult).

Don't really understand the need to do this since current system is already more or less spend base.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.