Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by 747jetter
I believe it has to be "D" to be able to upgrade using miles to La Premiere. Not every business class ticket is upgradeable.
Just rechecked my ticket .. it is D. Look at the miles option...

Last edited by rosensfole; Apr 12, 2019 at 4:16 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
"D" can be upgraded in advance how many days you want in case there is an award space. Using miles of course.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:35 am

90 000 offered for C to P on CDG-JNB. Reasonable, no?
wuzziduzziman and rosensfole like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by breton1fr
90 000 offered for C to P on CDG-JNB. Reasonable, no?
definitely ! A super deal I would even say.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
It looks like the regular miles upgrade to P at 3 times the "good old standard" one way economy fare (75k to US, 120k to Asia, I believe Europe JNB was 30k one way in Y meaning 90k upgrade from J/C/D to F)
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:54 am

Took it :-)
Goldorak, Wunk and 747jetter like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by ranskis
It looks like the regular miles upgrade to P at 3 times the "good old standard" one way economy fare (75k to US, 120k to Asia, I believe Europe JNB was 30k one way in Y meaning 90k upgrade from J/C/D to F)
almost the price of a regular Miles Award ticket with Star alliance/LH/LX !
the Flying Blue scheme for awards and upgrades is just a joke !
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak

definitely ! A super deal I would even say.
I agree with you , this is « cheap » for AF , but out of range compare to other alliances
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Bullspread
You can't reasonably compare apples to oranges, earning rates are also very different with LH/LX, and mostly for the worse iMHO.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Bullspread

You certainly cannot compare apples and oranges, and BA F product is inferior to AF F, especially on the ground (I like BA A380 suite).
But a point of comparison.
I have three return tickets CDG-HKG bought in cheapest I business fare (EUR2,200). I just managed to upgrade all six LH to F, 30K avios each segment (60K return).

I know that the 14 BA F seats per ac are mostly used by awards (full and upgrades), but that's a nice incentive. A very different business model.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Ditto
You can't reasonably compare apples to oranges, earning rates are also very different with LH/LX, and mostly for the worse iMHO.
The big difference is that LH/LX don't have dynamic pricing of awards. It's a table, so the awards cost always the same, no matter which flight/date you take. If they are available (often they are not).

To make a meaningful earn/burn comparison one would have to check how many EUR of spend are needed to get a certain award. Take two examples:

• Base member. Earns 4 miles/EUR spent on FB. For an intra-Euro award in Y at 7,500 miles that base member would need to spend EUR 1,875. However, if that same award prices out at 25,000 miles (not unseen with FB) then that same member wold need to spend EUR 6,250. On M&M, a Euro flight costs always 17,000 miles. For a base member with 4 miles/EUR spent this means spending EUR 4,250 to get an award.
  • Status member, Plat on FB. gets 8 miles per EUR spent. For a Europe-USA award in J class. On days that awards are 57,500 the member would need to spend EUR 7,125 to get the award miles. On other days, where the award is 150,000 miles (not unseen on FB) the member must have spent EUR 18,750 to get the award miles. For comparison, on LH/LX, the SEN members gets 6 miles per EUR spent. The award costs 52,000 miles. Which means he must have spent EUR 8,666 to get enough miles.
Conclusion: the dynamic pricing makes a comparison difficult. On the days that FB offers low award rates, it is more attractive than M&M. On days that FB has crazy award rates, M&M is more attractive. But even that is difficult to compare: because the reason for FB to have crazy award rates is that few/only expensive seats are available on that flight for purchase. With M&M when there are only few/expensive seats for purchase, they wouldn't show any availability for awards.

wuzziduzziman likes this.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Apr 23, 2019 at 3:34 am
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
The big difference is that LH/LX don't have dynamic pricing of awards. It's a table, so the awards cost always the same, no matter which flight/date you take. If they are available (often they are not).
Conclusion: the dynamic pricing makes a comparison difficult. On the days that FB offers low award rates, it is more attractive than M&M. On days that FB has crazy award rates, M&M is more attractive. But even that is difficult to compare: because the reason for FB to have crazy award rates is that few/only expensive seats are available on that flight for purchase. With M&M when there are only few/expensive seats for purchase, they wouldn't show any availability for awards.
To be able to do further comparison, one would need to know how many award sears are available with M&M, vs. how many award seats are available with FB at the lower miles amount.
Nonetheless FB offering extra seats are higher prices is a positive thing, it is better than no availability at all.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Ditto
To be able to do further comparison, one would need to know how many award sears are available with M&M, vs. how many award seats are available with FB at the lower miles amount.
Nonetheless FB offering extra seats are higher prices is a positive thing, it is better than no availability at all.
Yes, you're right, that would give a more complete picture. Especially since the link between fares-for-purchase and mileage amount required is not always intuitive with FB (you can have low award price although only high purchase fares are available, and vice-versa).

From personal experience with both programs, I find the "good deals" on FB really good deals. However, in about half the cases they are not available on the dates/routes that I want to travel. M&M only works for me because I have a booking guarantee. Otherwise I would find it nearly impossible to get the seats at the dates that I want (esp. vacation time).
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:41 pm

Hi I'm new here for the upgrade think with FB.

Does anyone know a way to check how much miles you are required for an upgrade from economy to premium or business on IAD-AMS route? Currently I don't have enough miles in the FB account but thinking of transfer some AMEX points since it have a special promotion right now. The problem is whenever I tried to click the upgrade option in my booking it just gave me the answer as "you don't have enough miles" without telling how much is needed. I prefer to know exactly or close enough number of points to transfer before doing it. Anyone can give me any suggestions?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Maybe is it just me but I have never found to be a good value using miles to upgrade already existing ticket, especially for a short of 7 hour flight on IAD-AMS. My advice, rather wait for cheap cash offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.