Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
CDG AMS (L class) 99 or 12400 miles. did not take it.
AMS-HKG (N class), 449€ or 64 100 miles. Took the cash option. i had the option of cash & miles as well. First time i get this option, i did it on KLM app.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Does FB miles have a different value for KL vs AF ? . See below
This was a trip EDI-AMS-CDG, all on one ticket (AMS is a connection, not a stopover), both flights are KL-coded. 1st flight is KL-operated, 2nd is AF-operated. Paid upgrades were proposed for both flights at check-in:
EDI-AMS: €149 or 17,300 miles
AMS-CDG: €99 or 24,800 miles

Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
This was a trip EDI-AMS-CDG, all on one ticket (AMS is a connection, not a stopover), both flights are KL-coded. 1st flight is KL-operated, 2nd is AF-operated. Paid upgrades were proposed for both flights at check-in:

Yes I've seen it quite often, also price in miles for preferred seats could vary between the different sites (for the same flight!)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:22 pm

So you get different offers between KL and AF for the same product (upgrade from Y to J on the whole trip between EDI-AMS-CDG)?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by BobTL
So you get different offers between KL and AF for the same product (upgrade from Y to J on the whole trip between EDI-AMS-CDG)?
No, sorry if I was unclear. The 2 offers that you can see on the screenshots appeared both in the App during OLCI. But the 1st one is only for the 1st flight of the itinerary (EDI-AMS), and the 2nd one is only for the 2nd connecting flight of the itinerary (AMS-CDG). So I can upgrade one of the flight or both. If I want to upgrade both, I have to pay €149+99 =€258.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:39 pm

No, sorry if I was unclear. The 2 offers that you can see on the screenshots appeared both in the App during OLCI. But the 1st one is only for the 1st flight of the itinerary (EDI-AMS), and the 2nd one is only for the 2nd connecting flight of the itinerary (AMS-CDG). So I can upgrade one of the flight or both. If I want to upgrade both, I have to pay €149+99 =€258.
That is interesting. I never saw that.
So KL offers an upgrade for the KL operated flight of the trip and AF on the AF operated flight of the trip.
Mysterious
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by BobTL
Mysterious
Not so mysterious
The prices in cash are somewhat consistent (EDI-AMS is a bit longer so costs a bit more), but the prices in miles are weird because that’s the opposite, hence my question : does FB miles have a different cash value between the 2 airlines ?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:05 pm

Not so mysterious
The prices in cash are somewhat consistent (EDI-AMS is a bit longer so costs a bit more), but the prices in miles are weird because that’s the opposite, hence my question : does FB miles have a different cash value between the 2 airlines ?
I do think it’s mysterious because everybody knows that the flown distance often doesn’t have a relation to the price for an upgrade. Lately I flew from BLL to CDG, a 1,5 hour flight on the glorious E175 and I had to pay 249 euro for an upgrade without a miles upgrade option.
The price of upgrading could might have well been the other way around

There is probably a different algorithm that calculates the amount of miles than the cash option, hence my experience there was no miles option at all.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:49 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Lightbulb

These two flights are not the same , so i would suggest to compare flights on the same route

But again , we know that many other factors need to be considered , especially since dynamic prices were introduced

For instance i had a situation last year when almost everything was supposed to be the same but it wasnt

two paxs (me and a colleague) , on the same route (waw-cdg) , same booking code , same fare , same day , same flight , different status (me = silver / colleague = gold) , i checked-in 20h before and he did the same 18h (more or less) before

The result = upgrade to J for ~50euros , but for colleague the price was around 150 euros (Sorry i forgot the exact amount and also to check the price in miles)
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by fifty_two
These two flights are not the same , so i would suggest to compare flights on the same route
Indeed; but the OP is not actually comparing the routes, but rather how the 2 airlines appear to put a very different "value" on the mileage amounts.

AF values 24800 miles as being equivalent to €99 in the example; KL values an amount of miles that is 30% ~less (17300) as being worth ~50% more (€149).

That's quite a marked inconsistency in the valuation of the miles.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Indeed; but the OP is not actually comparing the routes, but rather how the 2 airlines appear to put a very different "value" on the mileage amounts.
yes i know , but the two airlines are separate entities , and also flying blue , while being a part of AFKL group , so KL is still free to decide many aspects of their business strategies

That's quite a marked inconsistency in the valuation of the miles.
but since this dynamic pricing we cant be 100% sure if it was good/bad luck or really the airlines direct decision to value upgrades in such way
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes i know , but the two airlines are separate entities , and also flying blue , while being a part of AFKL group , so KL is still free to decide many aspects of their business strategies
While this is true, Flying Blue is a single entity owned by both. As such, the "value" of an FB mile should be standardised across all of its users.

As such, and while FB miles clearly aren't a fully convertible currency - imagine if for example one airline used an EUR:USD exchange rate of 1:1.14 and the other used a rate of, say, 1:0.53 (which is in keeping with the "spread" of the FB valuation commented on above) - this would appear to indicate that the airlines are happy to "shaft" customers who make the mistake of paying in miles when the airline decides to use a particularly beneficial "exchange rate" (the benefit being to the airline).

but since this dynamic pricing we cant be 100% sure if it was good/bad luck or really the airlines direct decision to value upgrades in such way
Well then there's dynamic pricing, and then a further "dynamic" conversion into FB miles. Dynamic squared, if you will!!!

Flying Blue....Generous by Nature.

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 20, 2019 at 8:48 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:37 am
Accor Contributor Badge

While this is true, Flying Blue is a single entity owned by both. As such, the "value" of an FB mile should be standardised across all of its users.
i agree with you , and globally it would be interesting to see how KQ or RO estimate the price of 1 FB mile

As such, and while FB miles clearly aren't a fully convertible currency
I understand what you mean , but in my opinion currency is a big word , cause miles are the sole property of an airline

i would rather call FB miles in such way = ''crumbreads that the airline ''gives'' you in order to make you believe you will make a sandwich on your own for free''
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All true. But somewhat circumventing the point raised above by the original poster.

To show such wildly differing valuations of the "breadcrumb" is to show that they are more than happy to gouge their customers!!!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Well then there's dynamic pricing, and then a further "dynamic" conversion into FB miles. Dynamic squared, if you will!!!

Flying Blue....Generous by Nature.
Flying Blue, Dynamic by nature

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.