Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by BobTL

Only FB Platinum members are eligible for an upgrade from J to P on AF. Is she platinum? If so then she can upgrade with miles or cash or an combination of the two if there are seats available DoD.
Not so sure, even if there are empty seats, as a Plat you won't always be able to upgrade. Earlier this year, I tried to DoD upgrade from J (I was on a Z-fare). 2 seats available in P but no - was told that I was not eligible because of the Z-fare.
(I was seated right behind La Premičre and could see that both seats (2/4) did remain empty, by the way.)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
Not so sure, even if there are empty seats, as a Plat you won't always be able to upgrade. Earlier this year, I tried to DoD upgrade from J (I was on a Z-fare). 2 seats available in P but no - was told that I was not eligible because of the Z-fare.
(I was seated right behind La Premičre and could see that both seats (2/4) did remain empty, by the way.)
That is interesting. I have been offered an, albeit extremely expensive, upgrade from Z fare to P.
And also one time from an N economy fare that I upgraded to J with miles via the PSL. When I checked in at JFK, I was offered to upgrade to P for, wait for it, 210.000 additional miles. Needless to say I didn’t do that. I didn’t even have the miles.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I already had a paid upgrade offer from J (Z) to P. it was on CDG-PVG and return.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Also got an upgrade offer from Z to P on SFO-CDG (for $2700, refused).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by BobTL

Only FB Platinum members are eligible for an upgrade from J to P on AF. Is she platinum? If so then she can upgrade with miles or cash or an combination of the two if there are seats available DoD.
Yep, Platinum. Booking class C.

The points I don‘t quite get yet/I am looking to get confirmation for as there have been contradicting information on them in this thread:
1) As long as seats are available for sale, they can also be obtained with miles for an upgrade? Or is a specific booking class required? This can be done no matter whether an upgrade was offered during OLCI?
2) That rule is valid at any time before departure? Or only on DoD?
3) The website does not show full availability, but one may be able to get the upgrade by calling AF?

Thanks

Last edited by San Gottardo; Nov 5, 2018 at 10:39 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
And just to confirm something I believe I know: I can use miles from my own account to upgrade her, right?
Yes.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
Also got an upgrade offer from Z to P on SFO-CDG (for $2700, refused).
So what do I make out of it: Their policy on DoD upgrades to P is either inconsistent or as changed in the meantime. I was given the story that a Z fare was not eligible twice: At the gate and on board when I asked the purser one more time. The latter even showed it to me on her iPad. (That was in January on a GRU-CDG flight.)
Edit: I was explicitly asking for a miles upgrade to burn some awards miles, I was close to 2M at the time. The once here who came across offers from Z obviously talk about cash/OLCI upgrades, perhaps that makes the difference.

Last edited by wuzziduzziman; Nov 5, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:17 am

The points I don‘t quite get yet/I am looking to get confirmation for as there have been contradicting information on them in this thread:
1) As long as seats are available for sale, they can also be obtained with miles for an upgrade? Or is a specific booking class required? This can be done no matter whether an upgrade was offered during OLCI?
2) That rule is valid at any time before departure? Or only on DoD?
3) The website does not show full availability, but one may be able to get the upgrade by calling AF?

Thanks
Flying Blue promised with the new invented program that all seats would be available for an upgrade. This is proved to be not true and depending on AF. Personally I don't see a red thread in their upgrade policy but maybe other forum members can explain this better. I filed a complaint last week about this. I dislike the system a lot.
You can always call the PSL and see what they can do. The agents there are willing to go the extra mile.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum - Royal Orchid Gold - Accor A-Club Platinum
With the so called new invented program, you almost always have an option on screen to apply for an upgrade. And when you apply, most of the times “there are no seats left”.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
AF72
CDG - LAX
at OLCI was offered upgrade from W to J for $478 US
Original ticket was in G class on DL stock

accepted the offers. 8 seats were available - we reserved two at this price.

no miles or miles and cash options were offered-but we travel on DL FFP numbers

Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by franck75002
With the so called new invented program, you almost always have an option on screen to apply for an upgrade. And when you apply, most of the times “there are no seats left”.
Hence my question. Is that different when then calling them?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
C is usually pretty expensive, what would be the fare difference to change it to F? I checked CDG SFO and D was more expensive than F (60 days advanced purchase) for instance.
If F is available, I guess you can upgrade with miles from a C paid fare if the fare difference between C and F is too high.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
CDG-AMS - 89€ to J
AMS-MAN - 79€ to J
Very classic...
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by canadavid
CDG-AMS - 89€ to J
AMS-MAN - 79€ to J
Very classic...
AMS-ATH onboard B738 aircraft 99 Euro
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
AMS-PTY: 72500 miles
BOG-CDG: 66000 miles

Both cheap Y -> J
Pretty solid, but won't take them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.