Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by kirker
Asking for a friend, since neither of us are regular AF/KL fliers: he's in Beijing at present, and due to a work-dictated schedule, he has a very short window of time from which to finish his business in China and make it to Paris -- and since AF has the only PEK-CDG nonstops, that was his only option. While I can't pull up the seat map since it's less than 51 hours until his departure, ExpertFlyer is showing wide-open availability in J (9+ seats). He's EXP on AA but has no status on any ST airline.

I scrolled through a number of pages on this thread but didn't see anything about that particular route. Do any of you guys know if he can upgrade from Y to J with cash -- either at OLCI or via phone -- and if so how much it might cost? I know from my own experience that prices on flights into and out of PEK have plummeted to borderline-absurd levels, so I'm wondering if he has any options here.
almost definitely he will see an option to upgrade, but the price is impossible to predict.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
almost definitely he will see an option to upgrade, but the price is impossible to predict.
I would not be so sure.

First, OP talks about 9+ available seats but we don't know the numbers and but that could be just 9. Agreed that means J is not full though.
Then revenue management can decide to target some pax in Y or W before OLCI with dedicated emails. If targeted people buy the upgrades, the J cabin may end up full before OLCI opens.
Now let's say that is not the case and out of 9 seats, revenue management opens 7 seats for upgrading at OLCI and keep 2 for last minute revenue tickets (or change of ticket, quite frequent among full fare business travelers). They can target W pax and not Y ones. And if OP's friend does OLCI after all upgrades are taken, no offer will be put through of course.

Not to mention other parameters such as last minute equipment change.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
LED-AMS-LYS tomorrow: 79€ for the AMS-LYS leg tout upgrade from award ticket to business.
Did not take it
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bodory
I would not be so sure.

First, OP talks about 9+ available seats but we don't know the numbers and but that could be just 9. Agreed that means J is not full though.
Then revenue management can decide to target some pax in Y or W before OLCI with dedicated emails. If targeted people buy the upgrades, the J cabin may end up full before OLCI opens.
Now let's say that is not the case and out of 9 seats, revenue management opens 7 seats for upgrading at OLCI and keep 2 for last minute revenue tickets (or change of ticket, quite frequent among full fare business travelers). They can target W pax and not Y ones. And if OP's friend does OLCI after all upgrades are taken, no offer will be put through of course.

Not to mention other parameters such as last minute equipment change.
Agreed. Lot of parameters to consider. And the price is...unpredictable as someone already said.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: FB Gold
On my return flight a few weeks ago, could have opted Y -> J on IAD-CDG for 539 € or 77 000 miles at OLCI. Had to seriously think about it, ultimately decided against it.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
309 EUR for CDG-TXL or return from Y (flex ticket) to J
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: Many
I guess that is the right price to get your Ultimate status recognized by a millenial purser
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by bodory
I guess that is the right price to get your Ultimate status recognized by a millenial purser
Who is, most of the time, more motivated than the tired "Monique" of the mainline carrier
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I really hate the term "Millennial", by the way. It's like if we were calling honored citizens "old farts"
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:32 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
CDG-CMN
EUR 189
or
47,300 miles

3 seats available at check in in the Y cabin
2 seats available at check in for the C cabin

Last edited by JOUY31; Oct 19, 2018 at 2:04 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by JOUY31
CDG-CMN
EUR 189
or
47,300 miles

3 seats available at check in in the Y cabin
2 seats available at check in for the C cabin
not too bad in cash for a 3hrs flight IMO, but horribly expensive in miles.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, NW, CO, SW,
So,,, I'm holding an AF flight JFK>CDG>TXL and then back, starting on 04 November (return is 09 November). The flight was booked in Premium Economy, "S" Class (just in case I don't get an upgrade), with the "notion" that I might be able to upgrade for 15k miles each way on the long segment, as I have many times in the past 10 years.

I have read and understood that AF now does NOT allow upgrades until 30~36 (or some other number) hours before the flights. Is this about right?

I see that some people have had more luck calling by phone... and though I am a bit far out, every agent I have spoken to seems to know NOTHING about the possibility of upgrades. While earlier agents I spoke to in Reservations say it is/was possible... calls to Flying Blue say, "non."

Am I wasting my time??

Thanks for any assistance!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by elisherer
So,,, I'm holding an AF flight JFK>CDG>TXL and then back, starting on 04 November (return is 09 November). The flight was booked in Premium Economy, "S" Class (just in case I don't get an upgrade), with the "notion" that I might be able to upgrade for 15k miles each way on the long segment, as I have many times in the past 10 years.

I have read and understood that AF now does NOT allow upgrades until 30~36 (or some other number) hours before the flights. Is this about right?

I see that some people have had more luck calling by phone... and though I am a bit far out, every agent I have spoken to seems to know NOTHING about the possibility of upgrades. While earlier agents I spoke to in Reservations say it is/was possible... calls to Flying Blue say, "non."

Am I wasting my time??

Thanks for any assistance!
you can upgrade a revenue ticket with miles at any time after purchase, providing you are booked in an eligible fare and if there are availability in the upgraded class. Look in MMB and see if you have the option proposed (if not, look regularly).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
BCN CDG operated by AF (not Joon!), Classic fare, very cheap X class at 50 EUR the coupon+tax (since I got 400 miles). Upgrade proposed at online check-in for 109 EUR. I was very happy with my emergency exit window seat, so of course no.
Free op-up to C at airport check-in. Some empty J seats but Y looked pretty packed. My flight arrived after the following BCN CDG flight, not very pleasant, but I got a few Laurent Perrier and Liqueur de Poire Williams
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, NW, CO, SW,
Originally Posted by Goldorak

you can upgrade a revenue ticket with miles at any time after purchase, providing you are booked in an eligible fare and if there are availability in the upgraded class. Look in MMB and see if you have the option proposed (if not, look regularly).
Sorry, "MMB" (I'm a bit short on abbreviations). I do check online almost daily, and did pay more for "S" Class for what I was told was upgradeable fare. But they are not showing any upgrades and THAT is the part I am trying to understand. The agents will tell you there are NO upgrades, but they will NOT tell you when or whether any will be released (there are seats available online, not sure how many are "upgrade" seats).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.