Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:03 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Greglem
I'm sure they keep their seats available till the last minute, so that they can sell them.
In case there is availability, you can probably upgrade at the airport. That's why I said it is a pity if you cannot use your miles as you want and when you want.
This is true, but i can assure you the 15k miles offered is only when you do it via the phone. At the airport this number of miles is going to turn in a higher value (based on the remaining seat that day). At least for me with the new system introduced, it has become very dynamic and especially at the airport, the price in miles will be quite crazy. Just my experience so far with the new system. The other option in case the number of miles requested on the ground on the day of departure is too high, would be hopefully onboard it will be less (yes, they seem to have another number onboard).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:13 am

Is there a different airline that always allows you to use your miles when & as you like to use them?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: SkyTeam Plat, Bonvoy Plat
Just got them on the phone again.
They seem interested in cash upgrades only, not with miles.....
Upgrade with miles will only be possible at the airport, not at the online check-in (not be possible due to the leg in train....).
And at the railway station, they won't be able to do the upgrade, so I'll have to wait to be at CDG, so the chance of availability will be very limited.

So how to use my miles then ?
Reply : award ticket, exit seat, or meal !
Great......
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Are the day of departure (OLCI or airport check in ) upgrades based on paid fare? I'm on a full Y TATL in a few weeks and no seats for upgrade at this point. Expert Flyer showing 9. Do upgrade seats usually open up in the weeks leading up to departure? I have an alert setup for O availability.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Are the day of departure (OLCI or airport check in ) upgrades based on paid fare? I'm on a full Y TATL in a few weeks and no seats for upgrade at this point. Expert Flyer showing 9. Do upgrade seats usually open up in the weeks leading up to departure? I have an alert setup for O availability.
In my experience the real availability for Flying Blue members is based on Z and not O. Seats usually open up at check-in, it will likely be based on your fare.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate Platinum for Life/Club 2000, UA MileagePlus
Are the day of departure (OLCI or airport check in ) upgrades based on paid fare?

Yes. At least until dynamic pricing of upgrades was introduced, but I believe the number of miles/price of the upgrade largely remains a function of the airfare.
I'm on a full Y TATL in a few weeks and no seats for upgrade at this point. Expert Flyer showing 9. Do upgrade seats usually open up in the weeks leading up to departure? I have an alert setup for O availability.

DOD upgrades have been reported to be open for purchase up to 30 hours before departure. They may, however, become available earlier upon request to Revenue Management and Pricing through the dedicated Travel Assistant team, a perk Ultimates enjoy regularly. Not clear to me whether or not non-Ultimates can access these seats more than 30 hours before departure, e.g., through the Platinum line, or just the Flying Blue line.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by canadavid
CDG-CAI from A (premium eco) to Business
For 259 - Joon Flight
3rd April
CDG-CAI from premium eco (S class) to Business
For 259 or 37000 miles
17th September

Nearly the same except the booking class and the option to book it with miles. 10 seats available at OLCI at -28h and still 10 Seats at -2h !

Last edited by canadavid; Sep 17, 2018 at 5:58 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: AF/KL, LH, BA, Accor, Hilton, IHG, HERTZ, Avis
Originally Posted by Macaron54
Yes. At least until dynamic pricing of upgrades was introduced, but I believe the number of miles/price of the upgrade largely remains a function of the airfare.

DOD upgrades have been reported to be open for purchase up to 30 hours before departure. They may, however, become available earlier upon request to Revenue Management and Pricing through the dedicated Travel Assistant team, a perk Ultimates enjoy regularly. Not clear to me whether or not non-Ultimates can access these seats more than 30 hours before departure, e.g., through the Platinum line, or just the Flying Blue line.
Yes, a polite request via the Platinum line does work as well. Only in KL/AF and ticket must be from either of those as well. So if the ticket has been bought on DL it will not work.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:40 pm

IAD-CDG PE to Business $453 per person. We took it.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:55 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
CDG-AMS from Economy (standard fare) to Business: 229€.

I did not take up the offer.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
CAI-CDG from PE (s) to Business for 400 or 59900miles

Night flight of 5hrs - 3 seats available.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by canadavid
CAI-CDG from PE (s) to Business for 400 or 59900miles

Night flight of 5hrs - 3 seats available.
ridiculously expensive. Especially 59.900 miles. Unheard of.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: FB Gold
(moved)

Last edited by giganpi; Sep 25, 2018 at 3:21 pm Reason: Wrong thread.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
€249 (or 59.000 miles) for CDG-LHR or return
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:16 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Goldorak
€249 (or 59.000 miles) for CDG-LHR or return
Given that the round trip fare in FLEX business class can be as low as €531, the offer is not exceedingly attractive.
Goldorak likes this.

Last edited by JOUY31; Sep 26, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.