Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by offvoice
AMS-EBB €449
Funny story - ended up taking it but due to heavy fog at AMS yesterday, I actually didn’t make the connection and ended up on a rather exotic MRS-AMS-LHR-NBO-EBB (all in coach).

I called AF to refund the upgrade, and to my surprise it’s not as straight forward as one would think. Essentially the upgrade is parsed to the new booking they made to bring my to my final destination (even though its in couch - so from a system perspective, I was rebooked in business - which I wasn’t). So in order to issue a refund, it now has to go though a specialized irregularities team that should process the refund within 20 to 30 days (according to PSL), since as far as they’re concerned, I did take a business flight (which I didn’t - as in shown on my new replacement booking).

Anyways just wanted to share that feedback since I don’t think I saw here that situation before.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:09 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Funny story - ended up taking it but due to heavy fog at AMS yesterday, I actually didn’t make the connection and ended up on a rather exotic MRS-AMS-LHR-NBO-EBB (all in coach).

I called AF to refund the upgrade, and to my surprise it’s not as straight forward as one would think. Essentially the upgrade is parsed to the new booking they made to bring my to my final destination (even though its in couch - so from a system perspective, I was rebooked in business - which I wasn’t). So in order to issue a refund, it now has to go though a specialized irregularities team that should process the refund within 20 to 30 days (according to PSL), since as far as they’re concerned, I did take a business flight (which I didn’t - as in shown on my new replacement booking).

Anyways just wanted to share that feedback since I don’t think I saw here that situation before.

In cases of irrops and paid upgrades does AF/KLM not rebook you in J?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
In cases of irrops and paid upgrades does AF/KLM not rebook you in J?
From what I understood with the agent I had on the phone, they *should*, and most likely *will* if you're rebooked on AFKL (hence why my booking showed I was flying business, though in 15C, on the AMS-LHR leg). However, I was rebooked on a KQ itinerary. While I'm sure they have partnerships and some codeshares, I know KQ isn't codesharing anymore on EU-AFR routes, so AF probably bought a ticket with them (my booking price on the website jumped from €850 to €1700), and I guess they wouldn't buy a J ticket for an OLCI upgraded pax (we're talking €450 vs arguable several thousand euros).
kauppias likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
VIE-CDG 99€ Y to J
CDG-PUJ no offer

pax without status
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
From what I understood with the agent I had on the phone, they *should*, and most likely *will* if you're rebooked on AFKL (hence why my booking showed I was flying business, though in 15C, on the AMS-LHR leg). However, I was rebooked on a KQ itinerary. While I'm sure they have partnerships and some codeshares, I know KQ isn't codesharing anymore on EU-AFR routes, so AF probably bought a ticket with them (my booking price on the website jumped from €850 to €1700), and I guess they wouldn't buy a J ticket for an OLCI upgraded pax (we're talking €450 vs arguable several thousand euros).
I would not take for « granted » to be rebooked in J even if the rebooking is on AFKL. J can be full on the rebooked flight. I think you*ve been extremely lucky to have been rebooked on KQ in J
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I would not take for « granted » to be rebooked in J even if the rebooking is on AFKL. J can be full on the rebooked flight. I think you*ve been extremely lucky to have been rebooked on KQ in J
Just to be clear, I wasn’t - hence why I’m trying to get refund for that OLCI upgrade :0. My booking did show business for some reason on one of the legs of rerouting (AMS-LHR) but all my new BPs were in Y seats and class. Sorry if I wasn’t clear in my previous post!
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Good thing they didn't put you in J on AMS-LHR and try to fob you off based on that.

Imagine paying 450 for a one way upgrade on a 40 minute flight.
Xandrios and offvoice like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Good thing they didn't put you in J on AMS-LHR and try to fob you off based on that.

Imagine paying 450 for a one way upgrade on a 40 minute flight.
As the pax was booked in J prior to the flight cancellation, this would constitute a downgrade for the purposes of Art 10 of Reg 261/2004, which would result in the OP being entitled to 75% (for long-haul tickets) of the cost of the ticket for the relevant leg.
kauppias likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
MXP-CDG 79€ with no status
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
AGP-CDG : 289€
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
Got these offers on award tickets recently:

CDG - DXB J => P for 949€

DXB - CDG J => P for 1149€
(Flight leaves at 1:30 AM, you are basically paying over 1000€ for a more comfortable bed plus ground service in CDG… There was only a snack in Business, no full dinner but the lounge offered several decent hot and cold options)
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
How often do folks get J to P upgrade offers on award travel from JFK? Is it unheard of?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
CDG-DXG J to P for 1039 EUR, 1A secured.
yyzlhr and offvoice like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by flyjfk
How often do folks get J to P upgrade offers on award travel from JFK? Is it unheard of?
Not sure about the situation right now, but pre-Covid it was almost impossible, according to my personal experience.
flyjfk likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:36 am

EBB-AMS : €449 Y to J. Took it, hoping this time I'll actually fly it (see previous post)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.