Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Info79
Do you get the "+" XP if you chose to upgrade on OLCI/at the counter? Or you stuck with the eco XP?
No, you get your XPs according to your original ticket.
Info79 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Info79
Do you get the "+" XP if you chose to upgrade on OLCI/at the counter? Or you stuck with the eco XP?
you earn the XP of your originally-booked ticket.
Info79 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by maalloc
No, you get your XPs according to your original ticket.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
you earn the XP of your originally-booked ticket.

Changing this could really generate alot more business for AF/KLM. Awarding extra XPs for cash upgrades could incentivize people. It works fairly well with baec.

Too bad it seems to not be a priority at AF/KLM, sure it's not a big cost to them
Old Oct 27, 2021, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by kauppias
Changing this could really generate alot more business for AF/KLM. Awarding extra XPs for cash upgrades could incentivize people. It works fairly well with baec.

Too bad it seems to not be a priority at AF/KLM, sure it's not a big cost to them
Bolding is mine. I am not saying this is right or wrong, This can be right, but which data are you relying on to say that ? I don't believe the primary driver for a majority of people buying an upgrade is to obtain extra miles/XP (or equivalent on other airlines). I know it can be a driver for some flyers (who are mostly on this board ) but the airline has to balance this vs the risk of people not buying J upfront and rather buy Y and hope for a paid upgrade.
The main selling point for an upgrade is the price, not the extra XP IMHO. But I could be wrong, clearly.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 12:37 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Bolding is mine. I am not saying this is right or wrong, This can be right, but which data are you relying on to say that ? I don't believe the primary driver for a majority of people buying an upgrade is to obtain extra miles/XP (or equivalent on other airlines). I know it can be a driver for some flyers (who are mostly on this board ) but the airline has to balance this vs the risk of people not buying J upfront and rather buy Y and hope for a paid upgrade.
The main selling point for an upgrade is the price, not the extra XP IMHO. But I could be wrong, clearly.

I am basing it on my experience. I often bought an upgrade I would not normally buy due to the extra tier points. Granted I am FAR from a normal traveler but if price is the indicator I have yet to see a attractive upgrade offer on this board for AF/KLM 😀😂

Again I am happy to fly the class I book, I buy J when it's marginally more expensive then Y but mostly Y fares...
Goldorak likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 1:14 am

I've always wondered who AFKL is actually targeting with these offers. We know that Y->J upgrades can end up costing more than an last-minute J ticket (those in purgatory, all rise). So is it tailored for once-every-5 years Y flyers who have no idea of the price range, are willing to fork some $$$ for the time of their life?
Is it for frequent, cost-sensitive travelers, in which case the dynamic pricing is clearly wrong?

About the FFs, for sure this forum is not representative of anything. If I'm to trust my friends&family data points though, all those who fly often enough to consider such upgrades rationally (ie excluding honeymoons and such), and who are not Ulti-level (for whom XP-chasing become meaningless) are obsessed about keeping their status. When you fly long haul Y 3, 4 times per year, or short-haul EU 20 times per year, keeping your Gold or Plat status is a must but not necessarily easy. While they might not go as far as discussing it online, I'm sure they would all consider offering themselves a J upgrade if it meant securing their Elite+ status for one more year.
Goldorak, SkyteamEP and kauppias like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue
When you fly long haul Y 3, 4 times per year, or short-haul EU 20 times per year, keeping your Gold or Plat status is a must but not necessarily easy. While they might not go as far as discussing it online, I'm sure they would all consider offering themselves a J upgrade if it meant securing their Elite+ status for one more year.
That's why Air France doesn't give extra XP when upgrading, business-wise it's much more interesting to have customers who book in Business directly (to deal with yield-management easily etc) than to be "at the mercy" of the smart guys
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:30 am

CDG->SIN 779 €. Tempting for such a long flight, but I'll stick to "poor man's lie flat" on a near-empty Y cabin.
fifty_two, Digicola and kauppias like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:27 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I've always wondered who AFKL is actually targeting with these offers. We know that Y->J upgrades can end up costing more than an last-minute J ticket (those in purgatory, all rise). So is it tailored for once-every-5 years Y flyers who have no idea of the price range, are willing to fork some $$$ for the time of their life?
Is it for frequent, cost-sensitive travelers, in which case the dynamic pricing is clearly wrong?

About the FFs, for sure this forum is not representative of anything. If I'm to trust my friends&family data points though, all those who fly often enough to consider such upgrades rationally (ie excluding honeymoons and such), and who are not Ulti-level (for whom XP-chasing become meaningless) are obsessed about keeping their status. When you fly long haul Y 3, 4 times per year, or short-haul EU 20 times per year, keeping your Gold or Plat status is a must but not necessarily easy. While they might not go as far as discussing it online, I'm sure they would all consider offering themselves a J upgrade if it meant securing their Elite+ status for one more year.
The point of dynamic pricing is to catch a relatively frequent, not too price sensitive flyer who has not previously considered J. Idea being that they try J at a low price in a low load flight, and either decide to start buying J outright, or if unable (i.e. corporate policies), will start buying upgrades for a substantial price.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:35 am

CDG->SIN 779 €. Tempting for such a long flight, but I'll stick to "poor man's lie flat" on a near-empty Y cabin.
An interesting data point: for Covid reasons, my feeder flight was removed from my ticket which now only contains CDG-SIN instead of LYS-CDG-SIN.
Now, the Y->J upgrade for CDG-SIN segment stands at a whopping 1679€, a comfortable x2,1 increase.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Coder33
That's why Air France doesn't give extra XP when upgrading, business-wise it's much more interesting to have customers who book in Business directly (to deal with yield-management easily etc) than to be "at the mercy" of the smart guys
The US airlines do give the extra miles, etc., when you buy an upgrade. Of course they will upgrade everyone anyways and the business cabin is nearly always full. It is a different model, but buying an upgrade means you don't have to wait til boarding to see if you get upgraded. It also means you are bypassing all the other passengers who have higher status than you. And essentially it is buying more miles and status miles.
hhdl likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Smile

An interesting data point: for Covid reasons, my feeder flight was removed from my ticket which now only contains CDG-SIN instead of LYS-CDG-SIN.
Now, the Y->J upgrade for CDG-SIN segment stands at a whopping 1679€, a comfortable x2,1 increase.
Interesting, but it could also be timing, right? If the time between when you first checked and when you checked again was long enough, they could have sold some more J tickets thus upping the cost for the upgrade.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Interesting, but it could also be timing, right? If the time between when you first checked and when you checked again was long enough, they could have sold some more J tickets thus upping the cost for the upgrade.
That was my first thought as well, but it was only 3 hours after, and J cabin hadn't filled up in the meantime.
Besides, if memory serves me well, these long haul OLCI upgrade prices don't change much, if at all, they mostly disappear once they sold "enough" seats.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

MPL-CDG : 89€
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by kauppias

Agree!
This is not a published rule, but it works this way with Kenya Airways. When you bid for an upgrade with cash, if accepted (I have never been declined any despite always biding the bare minimum amount required) you get the XP of the J cabin. On the shortest international routes (1h10), for usually €50 extra you get a PDB, a hot meal with full bar, a real C seat and IFE!
kauppias likes this.

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Nov 1, 2021 at 11:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.