Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:48 am

Air France NBO-CDG from W to C for EUR 949 at OLCI ... a couple of days before Christmas
KLM AMS-NBO from Y to C for EUR 349 at what seemed peak travel day of the year (first Sunday of the new year), AMS was crowded as I've never seen it

I just don't get the algorithm.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Bullspread
Have you had the opportunity to check what friends or colleagues travelling with you and with a lower FB Status have received as offer ?
I often noticed that as a top tier member, I very often received a customized price much higher than co-pax
No, was by myself. But I ended up being bumped to J. Will report this in the Ulti thread in a few minutes
romans likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:01 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by borderlessworld
KLM AMS-NBO from Y to C for EUR 349 at what seemed peak travel day of the year (first Sunday of the new year), AMS was crowded as I've never seen it

I just don't get the algorithm.
maybe Y was massively overbooked and they looked for some guys to pay for the upgrade instead of handing them out for free.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by gkl
maybe Y was massively overbooked and they looked for some guys to pay for the upgrade instead of handing them out for free.
Most likely what happened - that day of the year is peak expat getting back to NBO time - and most of them travel in Y, not in J.

Was it full in Y? I'd tend to think that the algorithm (notwithstanding the status factor) offers a low price when Y is fully booked (in the likes of 399/499 for this type of route) or high prices when Y is not oversold. If oversold, they will have to bump people up anyway, so better to make at least *some*money out of it. On the other hand, if it's not oversold, they would want to maximize revenue, hence a higher price (as mentioned a few posts above, I was offered >1000 EUR Y-->J on CDG-NBO with AF, on an empty flight. When I do get an offer, it's usually about 369/399 EUR for that leg.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by offvoice
Most likely what happened - that day of the year is peak expat getting back to NBO time - and most of them travel in Y, not in J.

Was it full in Y? I'd tend to think that the algorithm (notwithstanding the status factor) offers a low price when Y is fully booked (in the likes of 399/499 for this type of route) or high prices when Y is not oversold. If oversold, they will have to bump people up anyway, so better to make at least *some*money out of it. On the other hand, if it's not oversold, they would want to maximize revenue, hence a higher price (as mentioned a few posts above, I was offered >1000 EUR Y-->J on CDG-NBO with AF, on an empty flight. When I do get an offer, it's usually about 369/399 EUR for that leg.
When I travelled to NBO regularly (back then AF didn't operate so either KL or KQ), I had a ridicolously high score on upgrades to J as FB Gold or Platinum. Leisure heavy route and always heavily booked in Y. (I guess all the NGOs fly Y too...)
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by gkl
Interestingly neither Y nor W (and also not C) were full on the AF flight.
I didn’t see Y on the KL flight because I took the offer.
C was 100% full despite 50% seats available at OLCI.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:08 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
- WAW-CDG €79
- CDG-LIS €89

Both cheaper than usual.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:22 am

AF: BLL-CDG onboard E170 aircraft: € 89
KL: CDG-AMS onboard B738 aircraft: € 89
KL: AMS-BLL onboard B738 aircraft € 49
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:57 am

Just got CDG -ATL PE to J for €239! 777
considering Atlanta never gets anything decent, Im pretty shocked by this one. Jumped on it.
PE round trip cost me $1700 going back in September. Feeling pretty good about this one. Plus extra mqm and lots of mqd.

Popped up during checkin process. They wanted €69 for the vce -cdg leg. I passed on that one.
I did hit diamond first time last year, so maybe they took that into account.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPH-AMS €69.-- 19/20 available. Went out 16/20. All four J pax were crammed into row 2 for some reason.

One pax in EC was upgraded to row 5 in J (without amenities) after complaining that the seat next to him in row 6 was occupied, even though he had "paid" for it. His travel companion was no show, so he expected the seat to remain vacant.

Johan
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
NBO-CDG: Y to W €569; Y to J €949

Last edited by offvoice; Jan 23, 2020 at 3:49 am
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:02 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
CDG OTP, Y to J, 99 euros.
I'll keep my emergency exit in Y, however for someone who has no status and needs to check in bags, this offer is pretty reasonable considering it's quite a long flight, skypriority, bags, lounge, more comfort, hot meal et la liqueur de poire williams
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
17 Jan AMS-CDG - 99 Eur Y->J
17 Jan CDG-JNB: 279 Eur Y -> W, 549 Eur Y-->J
24 Jan JNB-CDG: 279 Eur Y-->W, 459 Eur Y-->J
25 Jan CDG-AMS: 99 EUR Y-->J

Did not bite, I was quite happy with the seat in row 88

Once the doors were closed on CDG-JNB, a group of about a dozen were whisked away from the small economy class on upper deck (mainly from the middle seats) to the Business class cabin and three others were brought to the W through the back stairs (they were rather gregarious, so easy to notice on a flight which was leaving around midnight and everyone was basically half-asleep). On the way back, 5 people were brought from the upper-deck Y to J during the safety demo.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: DL
Flying SFO/CDG on Thursday in PE, but J has >9 seats, so hoping for an upgrade offer to J or P. I asked Air France over Twitter on Saturday and they said since my ticket is via a TA (Amex), I can't upgrade beforehand. Does anyone know if I'll still get an upgrade offer at OLCI, or hopefully before then?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ok986
17 Jan AMS-CDG - 99 Eur Y->J
17 Jan CDG-JNB: 279 Eur Y -> W, 549 Eur Y-->J
24 Jan JNB-CDG: 279 Eur Y-->W, 459 Eur Y-->J
25 Jan CDG-AMS: 99 EUR Y-->J

Did not bite, I was quite happy with the seat in row 88

Once the doors were closed on CDG-JNB, a group of about a dozen were whisked away from the small economy class on upper deck (mainly from the middle seats) to the Business class cabin and three others were brought to the W through the back stairs (they were rather gregarious, so easy to notice on a flight which was leaving around midnight and everyone was basically half-asleep). On the way back, 5 people were brought from the upper-deck Y to J during the safety demo.
Nonrev ?

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Flying SFO/CDG on Thursday in PE, but J has >9 seats, so hoping for an upgrade offer to J or P. I asked Air France over Twitter on Saturday and they said since my ticket is via a TA (Amex), I can't upgrade beforehand. Does anyone know if I'll still get an upgrade offer at OLCI, or hopefully before then?
Yes, you can have an offer at OLCI or at the airport, whatever your booking channel. On AF, you cannot process paid upgrade before that (what you can only do is pay the fare difference to W or J, but this is not what I call a paid upgrade in my vocabulary). And in your case, as you bought via a TA, AF doesn't control your ticket until OLCI opens. So even if you wanted to pay a fare difference now, you would have to do it through Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.