Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: FB Gold
Hey all,

Does anyone know how they determine availability for advance upgrades with miles? I know with the old system it used to be based on O class, but I just tried to do a miles upgrade on a SXM-CDG flight and the platinum line told me there was no upgrade space, despite the flight showing O6 in ExpertFlyer...
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by CanuckInParis
Hey all,

Does anyone know how they determine availability for advance upgrades with miles? I know with the old system it used to be based on O class, but I just tried to do a miles upgrade on a SXM-CDG flight and the platinum line told me there was no upgrade space, despite the flight showing O6 in ExpertFlyer...
O is not only used for awards anymore, and if I recall correctly from a post by irishflyer28, you should go to flyingblue.com, login, go to redeem for reward tickets and see what the miles estimator gives you as the lowest possible option for an award on that route, then if you see that amount in the overview when trying to make a dummy booking for those dates, there is a very good chance that availability is there.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
It works for TATL flights (SFO-AMS-PRG). There's in general more freedom with travel agents and the other way too (book KL coded flights on 006 stock and vice versa). For a full flex J recently I had all the flights KL coded. For a discounted J (Z fare class) I booked the flights as DL coded via DL website.
It also automatically shows up in AF and KL booking systems when you book such flight via DL

Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
€109 for CDG-ATH. Took it. Great service on-board and very good meal.

JOUY31 and Alexandros Bravos like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak

looks super nice
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum/Club 2000, UA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
This afternoon (3rd March), AF272, from W to J, 469 euros or 67 000 miles. 2 seats in J look available. Offer was proposed only today, not yesterday at check-in opening time.

Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold

That's really good for intra-europe flight ^ ^ ^
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
I took a few flights on intra-European J with AF and the service was always great. Meals always looked super impressive, like the one above. For the XPs and for getting where you need, it's definitely worth it.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by B0gdan
I took a few flights on intra-European J with AF and the service was always great. Meals always looked super impressive, like the one above. For the XPs and for getting where you need, it's definitely worth it.
Sadly, for buy-ups, no extra XP is given.

That said, I do occasionally book J when the price is right and I do enjoy it. I'm probably one of the very few people who think Euro J can be worth it on its own merits, even discounting the extra XP
B0gdan likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
AMS-CDG 5/3 - 102 GBP - ...
CDG-PRG 5/3 - 275€ - declined and happy with my 10A...

Flying JFK-AMS today and since I bought this through DL I am reconnected to DL site to check in, not able to change seats in KL app and not offered to buy upgrade. Happened to me for the first time that I am not able to check in on KL site even the tickets is bought on Delta stock. However I am able to manage check in on AMS-CDG on the same booking when checking in using my flight number. Weird.

Last edited by 747jetter; Mar 4, 2019 at 4:54 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Originally Posted by 747jetter
AMS-CDG 5/3 - 102 GBP - ...
CDG-PRG 5/3 - 275€ - declined and happy with my 10A...

Flying JFK-AMS today and since I bought this through DL I am reconnected to DL site to check in, not able to change seats in KL app and not offered to buy upgrade. Happened to me for the first time that I am not able to check in on KL site even the tickets is bought on Delta stock. However I am able to manage check in on AMS-CDG on the same booking when checking in using my flight number. Weird.
Could it be that the flight was booked as the Basic Economy and hence no option?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Sadly, for buy-ups, no extra XP is given.
That said, I do occasionally book J when the price is right and I do enjoy it. I'm probably one of the very few people who think Euro J can be worth it on its own merits, even discounting the extra XP
I used to pay regularly for European J on AF when you could have a free stopover in CDG on lowest biz fares, when go-show was allowed on Z fares, when as a platinum member I could earn 350% miles and some meaningful BlueBiz credits for my own company, Now combining Flying Blue and Bluebiz, I get 10% discount value more or less which makes it much less attractive than it used to be for me. Also something pretty annoying is business class availability when buying I or D. Quite often I see availabilities such as J8C2D0I0Z2 or J9C9D9I0Z9O9 meaning that you can change a Z ticket (and pay the 70 EUR fee) but if you bought a more expensive I fare flex ticket, you need to buy up to D or C or J to change your ticket.

However fares have become even lower, the new O fares via CDG are often priced at 400 EUR when the lowest Z fares in the past were at 500-550 EUR, so that can work out well from time to time.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by DukeOfSilesia
Could it be that the flight was booked as the Basic Economy and hence no option?
Yep, confirmed by check in agent at T4. Weird because I can buy upgrade on AMS-CDG which is DL E too and a few months ago was successful on cheap upgrade on SFO-AMS-VIE also on DL E
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Same price on the return flight. Took it again, good meal / great service too.

Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

CDG-IAD, J to P : EUR 3399 or 179,900 miles

Last edited by Goldorak; Mar 5, 2019 at 1:15 pm Reason: added price in miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.