Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: FB Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by palmanfr
Hi,
I think this question might have been answered previously but cannot find it in the wiki, and I don't know if the policy has changed with the recent FB program enhancements...
I fly at least once a month in Europe with KLM and sometimes gets discounted upgrade offers to get to business class, like 99 Euros for a DUS-AMS (which is a joke) to 49 Euros once for a AMS-LYS, which one could consider. If that's the case, do you get the mileage credit for the original or upgraded ticket ? Same question for the XP credits...
Thanks !
The couple of times I have upgraded intra-europe on one occasion I was awarded original miles but a business class bonus which I was surprised at. I guess it depends how their system processes your mileage award.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
That's likely due to the AF strike (Joon-Operated flights are affected also as they use AF pilots). AF (JN) A343 have more J seats (around 30) and have W. Bad news for those who have W tickets : they will be downgraded to Y. And depending on what were the bookings in J, there might be also some downgrades to Y
flight is operated with a former aircraft from Air France. Therefore, there was no issue about downgrade

Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by canadavid
Just received a text stating that my flight will be operated with an aircraft of "PLUNA" (Plus Ultra Lineas Aereas"). They operates A340 as well but not sure there is W class on their plane

Plus Ultra Líneas Aéreas fleet
Aircraft In Service
Airbus A340-300 —18C 285Y

One from airfrance so maybe cabin is the same...
Originally Posted by canadavid

flight is operated with a former aircraft from Air France. Therefore, there was no issue about downgrade

The aircraft may have belong to AF but it belongs to a new owner since 06/2017 and it has obviously a different configuration. Your initial post shows 18C and 285Y, while AF A343 have 30J, 21W, 224Y. So definitely not the same seats and no W class.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:41 pm

The aircraft may have belong to AF but it belongs to a new owner since 06/2017 and it has obviously a different configuration. Your initial post shows 18C and 285Y, while AF A343 have 30J, 21W, 224Y. So definitely not the same seats and no W class.
1st information was from Wikipedia page of PLUNA (wrong information for at least one of their aircraft)
2nd information was when I was in front of and then in the Aircraft. I can tell you the configuration was the same as Airfrance. The plane has not changed or been retrofitted with the new owner.
Only the crew was different. Food and ammenity kit were the same. However no IFE.

It was just an update to show that « PLUNA » operated flight with A340 was the same cabine as Air France.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: FB Platinum
A late booking on AF72 for April 6th (company paid W, I paid to change to Z). Slightly surprised to get this offer for P from Z but, as we are only at CDG for 95 mins, it is rather pointless. Interesting to see the Miles earning, presumably based on the extra spend?

Last edited by PeteM01; Apr 4, 2018 at 2:16 am Reason: Pic missing
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
normally you earn the XP of your originally booked class, but there has been some scattered reports of people earning according to the upgraded class. Regarding the miles, in the new system, the miles earned do not depend on the travel class but only on the fare paid (and on your status).
That's almost worth the gamble
Wonder what will happen if I self-upgrade in a non-FB SkyTeam carrier.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by PeteM01
Interesting to see the Miles earning, presumably based on the extra spend?
yes, correct. Now miles earned are entirely based on fare. But paid extras (like this one) count.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Any experience with last minute upgrade to business class on Joon ? cheaper ?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Hi all, not sure if it's the correct thread, please feel free to move my post if necessary.

I've recently booked a revenue PE ticket with AF, on the return leg I can upgrade for 30K miles from PE to BC on the AF A380, I know it's not the best product there is (understatement), but given there was no other preferable route with an other aircraft I booked this anyway. It's MEX - CDG and it's a redeye.

My question, would you book the upgrade for 30K miles or not? And if not, why not?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by glennhaak
Hi all, not sure if it's the correct thread, please feel free to move my post if necessary.

I've recently booked a revenue PE ticket with AF, on the return leg I can upgrade for 30K miles from PE to BC on the AF A380, I know it's not the best product there is (understatement), but given there was no other preferable route with an other aircraft I booked this anyway. It's MEX - CDG and it's a redeye.

My question, would you book the upgrade for 30K miles or not? And if not, why not?
I'd go for it, 30k is fairly reasonable.
af fp, nldogbert, Goldorak and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Any experience with last minute upgrade to business class on Joon ? cheaper ?
Joon flights are all AF in term of flight number, booking, etc so the same paid upgrade system applies to Joon. And cheaper ?? why would it be cheaper ? The J class seat and service/amenities on Joon are "identical" to AF (outside the branding of course).
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:57 am

CDG to Cairo flying Joon in PE (S booking class) —> upgrade to J offered at OLCI 259€-37000 miles

venise to Amsterdam from Y (K class) to J for 79€ During OLCI as well.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: Many
Great prices even though original tickets were in high fare classes.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
I am new to FB/AF and still exploring the rabbit hole. I am looking at but have not booked Canada-CDG-TPE itin in PE (A-Class). GUCs are not an option for upgrades from Canada, nor for CDG-TPE. My backup was to establish an FB account and transfer AMEX points. I read that it was possible use the FB mileage calculator to determine mileage requirements for upgrades, but that calculator appears to have been removed with the recent website "upgrade". So, my questions:

1. How do I check upgrade availability on this AF route from A class (PE) to business? Will an ExpertFlyer search for O fares work? Is that the only option?
2. If I do find availability, is there any way to determine the about of FB miles required short of calling AF? Will I need to have the flight booked to check?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by ajggiant
1. How do I check upgrade availability on this AF route from A class (PE) to business? Will an ExpertFlyer search for O fares work? Is that the only option?
Try and make a dummy award booking through the KLM or AF site, see if there's classic awards available. If so, good chance you can upgrade.
If you're platinum, you can call the plat line and let them check if there's any routes that are upgradeable before booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.