Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hhdl
MQM should be the same (unlikely to be more than +/- 10%, probably) for either.

MQD could be dramatically different, since a DL code will tend to be based on actual fare dollars while an AF code will be a proportion (depending on fare class) of distance. In general, it'll be better to get an AF code on a relatively cheaper fare and a DL code on a relatively more expensive fare.
I thought MQD dont apply for DL SM members based abroad (or outside of north america dont remember which one apply)
c1223 and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by fifty_two
I thought MQD dont apply for DL SM members based abroad (or outside of north america dont remember which one apply)
True, hadn't noticed your location.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by runnigel
Thanks BobTL. I’ll report back if we get an offer. Tickets were only 40k one-way so we don’t have a lot invested.
did you get an offer?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
CDG-JFK tomorrow (AF22), booked in B, 2500€ round-trip ticket (Y), no offer so far...
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by IstKong
CDG-JFK tomorrow (AF22), booked in B, 2500€ round-trip ticket (Y), no offer so far...
Maybe that's why my CDG-JFK booked in J for 1500€ never got a P upgrade offer.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Maybe that's why my CDG-JFK booked in J for 1500€ never got a P upgrade offer.

That's the price you pay when you book less than 24h before departure. You absolutely need to fly and they know it
Old Aug 12, 2022, 7:35 am

First time poster on this board ... not familiar enough with lingo to post appropriately ... but
CDG to BOS booked in economy with Flying Blue miles during a promo (ridiculously low, perhaps 17,000 miles)
At check in 30 hours before departure (got online at very start of check in) - offer upgrade to Business for $661 - accepted offer
Flight was evening flight on 8/11
36902BRF, offvoice and hhdl like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: FB Gold
My mother (just Explorer status) was offered 599 € for a CDG - IAD upgrade on the 77W (AF54) from paid (expensive) Y to J. She refused, but not a terrible deal. Guess having little/no status sweetens things up a bit......

I think the offer for FRA - CDG was something like 69€, something I should have bought for her in hindsight given the disaster that check-in is at FRA (took her 1,5h to get checked in).
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Well, I am in search for a ticket BUD-AMS/CDG-JNB, DXB-AMS/CDG-BUD and can get nice price for business class. However I am willing to sacrifice and fly Y+ on red eye from Dubai to CDG on the way back. The price quoted for J in and Y+ out was more or less the same as everything in J so it does not make sense.

There is, however very nice price for Y+ PRG-CDG-JNB, DXB-CDG-PRG and I was not able to get from agent how many miles it would cost to upgrade CDG-JNB from Y+ to J in advance (I do not want to take a risk waiting for OLCI). Does anybody know if it is doable? I have never upgraded myself this way and also never flew in Y+ but I guess how I know myself how do I look like after JFK-CDG in J it can not be any worse to fly in Y+
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Oh it can. Flying Y+ is way worse than flying J; and can even be worse than flying Y for red eye flights if you can’t sleep in the slouched position.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
Oh it can. Flying Y+ is way worse than flying J; and can even be worse than flying Y for red eye flights if you can’t sleep in the slouched position.
I was more counting on helping myself with a booze in lounge...
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter
I was more counting on helping myself with a booze in lounge...
That can work.

Rolling down on the floor is for sure more comfy than the fixed shells
Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
That can work.

Rolling down on the floor is for sure more comfy than the fixed shells
Yeah but I think it is doable, especially if I am about to save around 700€.

Right now, J is 1650€ from BUD to BUD and Y+ from PRG is 980€. If I am able to upgrade CDG-JNB from Y+ to J after booking for reasonable miles price (which would be handy if someone knows how many miles it requires) I'd be happy to do it this way, not to mention flying from Prague would save me a lot of time against ground long boring repositioning to BUD and hotel cost there. I do not care about XP gain or miles as I do have plenty of it...
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:08 am

I guess you can always book your trip and try to upgrade immediately from « Manage my bookings ».

If it doesn’t work, call AF and use the same-day-cancellation policy to cancel your booking…
Old Aug 26, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
For the sake of comparison with AF, I can report that AY just offered us an upgrade for € 70 each for a HEL/CDG evening flight (2 PAX on same PNR) next week.

Took it...
SDQBound, Goldorak and fifty_two like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.