Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 7:06 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Goldorak
CDG-MXP : 89€ (got op-up at the gate )
MXP-CDG : 69€
Doesn't look like upgrade Hell? You are now suitable for affordable upgrades ?
Goldorak likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Doesn't look like upgrade Hell? You are now suitable for affordable upgrades ?
ha ha ha but for how long ? I am a sinner
Arpoador likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:11 pm

Any of you who have had experiences for upgrades on the KL601 AMS-LAX and the KL604 LAX-AMS recently?
Old May 27, 2022, 9:46 am

Anyone have data points for JFK-ORY? I got tickets for my family (3 of us) for this summer using FB miles in economy because the sale was like 16.5k per seat. As a non-status person, and infrequent flyer, I would assume the upgrade price would be high. I saw some AMS-JFK that someone else listed in another thread to be consistently around 500 euros. But also saw other's JFK-CDG to be like over $1,000. (wut?)

Also, do the check-in counter agents have any discretion to give a lower upgrade price than for OLCI? like, would it help or hurt our chances if the agent sees that I have a kid? lol
Old May 27, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by barely_flying
Anyone have data points for JFK-ORY? I got tickets for my family (3 of us) for this summer using FB miles in economy because the sale was like 16.5k per seat.
Anything between 500 and 2500€/person. Upgrading 3 persons will be for sure more difficult than 1.

As a non-status person, and infrequent flyer, I would assume the upgrade price would be high.
Not necessarily. We have multiple reports in this thread of lower prices proposed to non-status pax.

Also, do the check-in counter agents have any discretion to give a lower upgrade price than for OLCI?
They have a chart to follow. We had some reports showing the airport chart can be sometime lower than OLCI price, but this is certainly not systematic. But the agent will have no discretion to go out of the chart price.
barely_flying likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
I have been reading the earlier posts and I am still not sure I understand the AF upgrade procedure. I am flying LAX to CDG business in the fall, but returning, because it is a day flight, I booked premium economy on the return CDG to LAX leg. How do I find out the cost of upgrading to Business, and is there an AF procedure wherein they will offer me an upgrade opportunity and if so when might I expect that? Thanks
Old May 31, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Srklaw7
I have been reading the earlier posts and I am still not sure I understand the AF upgrade procedure. I am flying LAX to CDG business in the fall, but returning, because it is a day flight, I booked premium economy on the return CDG to LAX leg. How do I find out the cost of upgrading to Business, and is there an AF procedure wherein they will offer me an upgrade opportunity and if so when might I expect that? Thanks
Usually, if Business seats are available, you will be offered to "swap seats" to the Business cabin during online check-in.
You'll see the price then.
You can also try your luck at the airport, or even right after boarding (but the price is unlikely to be way lower).
Old May 31, 2022, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by maalloc
... even right after boarding (but the price is unlikely to be way lower).
@maalloc How do you do this after boarding? Just ask the flight attendant? And then they swipe your credit card if you opt into it?
Old May 31, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
@maalloc How do you do this after boarding? Just ask the flight attendant? And then they swipe your credit card if you opt into it?
Yes, you just ask them when passing the aircraft door. Usually they will have a solution to happily part you from your Euros, Dollars, or miles
barely_flying likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
Would it be beneficial to call AF several weeks before the flight to see what the upgrade price is, or better to just wait for online check-in?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by maalloc
Usually, if Business seats are available, you will be offered to "swap seats" to the Business cabin during online check-in.
You'll see the price then.
You can also try your luck at the airport, or even right after boarding (but the price is unlikely to be way lower).
For the first time for me, the purser offered an upgrade after boarding (Y to J on CDG-ATL last week). The price was extremely high though IMHO (112k miles), especially for a daytime flight and since I was traveling with my partner. I politely declined, however the purser let us come have a drink during the flight at the J bar which was very much appreciated.
maalloc likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:25 am
Used to be mmsteidl

Programs: AA PLAT for life, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
I still do not understand the upgrade rules. I am booked on AF 178 CDG-MEX for June 25, in A Class. I was hoping to possibly make an upgrade to C. But last time I checked, few seats were available in C, and I am currently not able to check my Expertflyer account. In case there was anything available, would they offer it for me (FB Plat) during the check-in process, at how many miles more or less I would have to look, and is it worth the upgrade for an 11h daytime flight? Are there any tricks that I could apply?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pfaelzer
I still do not understand the upgrade rules. I am booked on AF 178 CDG-MEX for June 25, in A Class. I was hoping to possibly make an upgrade to C. But last time I checked, few seats were available in C, and I am currently not able to check my Expertflyer account. In case there was anything available, would they offer it for me (FB Plat) during the check-in process, at how many miles more or less I would have to look, and is it worth the upgrade for an 11h daytime flight? Are there any tricks that I could apply?
you may have an offer at OLCI, or not. It depends on availabilities and if you are targeted or not. And for the price, from a booking in W class, it can be anything from 300 to 1200€ approx.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:54 pm
Used to be mmsteidl

Programs: AA PLAT for life, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
Thanks for the answer. If you pay cash for an upgrade, do you get business class XP for the flight or only PE?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pfaelzer
Thanks for the answer. If you pay cash for an upgrade, do you get business class XP for the flight or only PE?
you earn the XP of the originally booked class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.