FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Baggage allowance on mixed-class, mixed-airline itinerary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1864209-baggage-allowance-mixed-class-mixed-airline-itinerary.html)

albireo Aug 30, 2017 10:36 am

Baggage allowance on mixed-class, mixed-airline itinerary

Travelling on a CDG-SCL-YYC-CDG itinerary (single ticket on Delta Airlines stock issued by a TA) with first part of the trip (up to YYC) on DL, the rest on KL. I am a FB Ivory member. The first transatlantic segment was on a Z fare (business), the rest in economy or eco+. For all check-ins up to YYC, Delta offered a 2-baggage allowance. I just checked-in for the YYC(AMS)CDG portion and KL's allowance is only 1 checked-in piece, though they will happily accept 96cad online (120cad at the airport) to accept a second piece in the hold.

I know this in conformity to KL's published rules, but given that the ticket explicitly mentions "check-in allowance : two pieces" I wonder if I would have any leverage to negociate at the airport an exemption for the second piece of luggage. Or if I better have to swallow it now and pay the extra baggage fee online at the "reduced" 96cad rate.

PS : I do not know if this is related but surprisingly, I was recognized as a Silver FB member throughout the DL portion of my trip (and even got complimentary domestic upgrades), even though I will reach Silver status only after I have flown the very last segment (AMS-CDG).

Ditto Aug 30, 2017 11:09 am

Does your ticket explicitly specify 2 bags irrespective of your "status", or is it 1 bag + 1 extra because they (wrongly) identified you as FB silver?

Goldorak Aug 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by albireo (Post 28755933)
Travelling on a CDG-SCL-YYC-CDG itinerary

I believe you meant SLC, rather than SCL, otherwise that's quite a huge detour ;)

albireo Aug 30, 2017 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 28756815)
I believe you meant SLC, rather than SCL, otherwise that's quite a huge detour ;)

I confirm the SCL stopover (actually going to northern Chile from there, but on another ticket) -- a triangular itinerary saves flying time compared to two round-trips CDG-SCL and CDG-YYC.

Ardecos Aug 31, 2017 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by albireo (Post 28758363)
I confirm the SCL stopover (actually going to northern Chile from there, but on another ticket) -- a triangular itinerary saves flying time compared to two round-trips CDG-SCL and CDG-YYC.

Are you going CDG - SCL direct or via the US? If direct then you'll be flying on AF metal.

MikeFromTokyo Sep 1, 2017 4:22 am

As this is a multi stop itinerary, my guess is that DL's normal rules would be in effect for those segments. However, why not at least try to play dumb at the airport and point to the baggage allowance on your ticket if they want to charge you? You have nothing to lose, the worst case is that you just pay to check an additional bag.

If DL's system has mistakenly identified you as having higher FB status, great, roll with it. Don't say anything unless they try to charge you for a bag.