Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Flying Blue wants to make me pay to cancel award flights to Shanghai in April

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist

I had two separate award flights booked to Shanghai in April from HND, on FM, using FlyingBlue miles.

I just wanted to cancel given that the virus situation isn't looking like it will improve any time soon.

They now want to make me pay €100 (50 per ticket, as 2 separate bookings) to cancel these flights.

I'm FB Gold.

Seriously, in a situation like this, this is exactly the kind of "customer service" that just really drives me nuts and that I find just outrageous.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:39 pm

I don't see anything outrageous here, KLM are expecting to resume their own flights to Shanghai on March 16th, your flight is only in April.
Of course things might change, if you anyway plan on not flying you could wait closer to the date and see if KLM own policy changes on flight to Shanghai, then you might have better luck in getting them cancelled without any fee.
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
I don't see anything outrageous here, KLM are expecting to resume their own flights to Shanghai on March 16th, your flight is only in April.
Of course things might change, if you anyway plan on not flying you could wait closer to the date and see if KLM own policy changes on flight to Shanghai, then you might have better luck in getting them cancelled without any fee.
The entire world is panicking (whether that's justified or not is a different question). I was nearly not let into the US two days ago as I just came back from Beijing 16 days previously. Entire cruise ships are held under quarantine. My company has forbidden all flights in and out of China as formal policy. 3/4 of China is forced to work from home or even held in quarantine.

There's no way that in only 2 months the situation is back to normal. The number of new cases is decreasing slightly but even in an optimistic scenario there's no way that China will get this under control swiftly.

What I'll probably do is I'll wait until the major carriers have extended the scenario to April, which is bound to happen, and will cancel then, hopefully for free.

I still think that in a situation like this where the impact has gone way beyond SARS any good business that cares about customer satisfaction would waive the fees. Unfortunately airlines are more about load ratios than about customer satisfaction.
JournoFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:09 pm

Actually FB is just a TA here, your flight is not even on AF/KL etc. metal, are there any other TAs (or even airlines) who offer free cancellations for flights to China in April? KLM as an airline offers free rebooking/cancellations until the end of March,
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
The fee will always be the same, that you cancel now or later. So wait to see if the cancellations reach your travel dates, if not pay the 100€ to cancel ~1 week before the flights.
Squerez likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by Mozart0815
I had two separate award flights booked to Shanghai in April from HND, on FM, using FlyingBlue miles.

I just wanted to cancel given that the virus situation isn't looking like it will improve any time soon.

They now want to make me pay €100 (50 per ticket, as 2 separate bookings) to cancel these flights.

I'm FB Gold.

Seriously, in a situation like this, this is exactly the kind of "customer service" that just really drives me nuts and that I find just outrageous.
Isn't that what travel insurance is for?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by The doomed
Isn't that what travel insurance is for?
Assuming Travel Insurance works in this case, I would be very interested to see how much an insurance company will value the miles on such award tickets. Because it's not only about getting refunded the cancellation fees of $100, but the whole ticket, including the miles component.

Cheers,
vinnyc
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by vinnyc
Assuming Travel Insurance works in this case, I would be very interested to see how much an insurance company will value the miles on such award tickets. Because it's not only about getting refunded the cancellation fees of $100, but the whole ticket, including the miles component.

Cheers,
vinnyc
The miles will be fully refunded by FB, why would the insurance be interested in that?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by Ditto
The miles will be fully refunded by FB, why would the insurance be interested in that?
Correct. Forgot that FB will refund you the miles in this case... I should have thought further before writing.

However, what if this was a Flying Blue Promo Award to China that is, by definition, non-refundable? 🤓
Old Feb 10, 2020, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

It's refundable, worst case I'll pay €100. It's not a big deal per se, I just would have expected a bit more flexibility given the current situation in China. In any case; I'll just wait and see. If AF/KLMdecide to still don't offer flights to China in April I may have more of a case (that said I doubt FM will cancel their flight).
Old Feb 10, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by vinnyc

Cheers,
vinnyc
I'd think the insurance company would expect you to cancel the ticket, minimise their loss, and you'd be able to claim for the $100. Which might not be worth it on its own. But if there are other aspects of you trip that need paid out on, then it may be worth it.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
I had no problem getting the 50 EUR redepositing fee waived on my FB award booking on China Eastern this month at the extremely helpful platinum line.

The problem with your flights is that they are still relatively far ahead in the future. All airlines, including AFKL, have only issued waivers of limited duration. Of course they look at this at a month by month basis.

I wouldnt worry really. If the situation continues as it is, the waiver covering China will be extended. Check what FM and AFKL communicate. If already one of them extends their waiver you will be covered.
Mozart0815 and trooper like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is far to early to make a determination as to whether travel will be a public health issue. If and when that comes to pass, I am fairly certain that the current cancellation policy will be extended and that you will be able to cancel without penalty.

You, of course, are free to make your own determination and may choose not to travel even if the "all clear' is given. But, if that is the case, don't expect the fee to be waived or for your insurance to cover it.
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Why dont you wait until end of March - and waiting until a new waiver is issued by AF/KL?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Mozart0815

I'm FB Gold.

just wait. They will issue a rolling waiver if the situation continues.
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.