Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage run suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Concerto

Really good suggestion, noted for future reference. At this point I’m just going for the cheapest segment runs possible because I’m trying to get it done before end of March. Better get a move on, as time is passing and I’ve got a very limited number of free days!
Don't wait too long if you're interested in the discount, it expires 23:59 on the 5th...
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I've jut about managed to wrangle all my flight movements to catch the 12 remaining segments I need before the end of March. However...the way I have provisionally planned it out, accommodating to an extent necessary movements instead or just flying for the sake of it, leaves me one segment short at 11 segments. Are there any suggestions for a 1 segment run, Swiss based? Maybe a roundtrip in one day somewhere? Or somewhere from Madrid on 21or 22 February? I couldn't any reasonable same day RTs on AirEuropa, but I only checked VLC, BCN and AGP.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: KL Plat
A day trip to PMI from Madrid on the 21st for EUR 67?

Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
I've jut about managed to wrangle all my flight movements to catch the 12 remaining segments I need before the end of March. However...the way I have provisionally planned it out, accommodating to an extent necessary movements instead or just flying for the sake of it, leaves me one segment short at 11 segments. Are there any suggestions for a 1 segment run, Swiss based? Maybe a roundtrip in one day somewhere? Or somewhere from Madrid on 21or 22 February? I couldn't any reasonable same day RTs on AirEuropa, but I only checked VLC, BCN and AGP.
try zrh-fco-zrh ... e.g. 162€ on Feb 20
https://www.kayak.de/flights/ZRH-FCO...t=bestflight_a

or check google flights search without destination, just filter by skyteam, your home airport(s) and the date and maximum price ...
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...AM;mp=200;mc=m
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I just made a booking for June 2018 with AF/KL from BLL via AMS and CDG to JFK and back via CDG to BLL in Y, so 5 segments in total. I was delighted to see i will get 35 XP, so 3 x 5 XP for the short haul segments and 2 x 10 XP for the long haul segments. So now, it is easier for me to maintain my Platinum status.

But when i looked at the amount of miles, i will be earning only 2.611 award miles. I know i bought a cheap fare, 402 euro's for this trip, but still, 2611 miles is so far from what it used to be, i think the amount of miles has been decreased with at least 50%. Is this correct?

Do i see this in the right perspective to assume that it is worthwhile to earn the old amount of award miles before 1 april with a mile age run on Skyteam long haul flights?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by Thijs Luyt
I just made a booking for June 2018 with AF/KL from BLL via AMS and CDG to JFK and back via CDG to BLL in Y, so 5 segments in total. I was delighted to see i will get 35 XP, so 3 x 5 XP for the short haul segments and 2 x 10 XP for the long haul segments. So now, it is easier for me to maintain my Platinum status.

But when i looked at the amount of miles, i will be earning only 2.611 award miles. I know i bought a cheap fare, 402 euro's for this trip, but still, 2611 miles is so far from what it used to be, i think the amount of miles has been decreased with at least 50%. Is this correct?

Do i see this in the right perspective to assume that it is worthwhile to earn the old amount of award miles before 1 april with a mile age run on Skyteam long haul flights?
IMHO it’s now easier to earn status, but more expensive to get award miles with flying AF/KL. The solution might be to avoid AF/KL and book tickets with other SkyTeam airlines that still give award miles based on distance and flown miles rather than by crediting miles upon the fare paid.
I am on a cheap business class ticket WAW-AMS-HGK-CTU-AMS-WAW (900€) on KLM and the award miles credited are just 6400 miles. That’s just insanely low ... taken into account how expensive premium class awards are at Flying Blue.
wuzziduzziman likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
I know i dream, but because of the decrease of number of award miles earn, they maybe will decrease also the number of miles needed for an award ticket?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is exactly what I am hoping too. Given they’re moving to some sort of dynamic pricing, the miles prices for business class seats should drop drastically. At the moment they are at stupid prices and I just won’t look at them. Instead I seek out the economy class redemptions with the best value.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by AurelAF96
I know i dream, but because of the decrease of number of award miles earn, they maybe will decrease also the number of miles needed for an award ticket?
That is exactly what I am hoping too. Given they’re moving to some sort of dynamic pricing, the miles prices for business class seats should drop drastically. At the moment they are at stupid prices and I just won’t look at them. Instead I seek out the economy class redemptions with the best value.
Yes, I think you are dreaming and especially about the part I have bolded in Concerto's post. There's no way the miles prices for J seats will decrease drastically. I am betting that it will rather increase.
f0zzyNUE likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by AurelAF96
Hahaha sorry guys but yes you are dreaming and hoping! In FB views they did not decrease the earning scheme, rather increased it.

As written in the other thread, what they will most likely do is to convert the number of miles into a new currency with a dynamic exchange rate for which the formula will stay secret.
They already disclosed the the price they sell the mile (between 0.125 and 0.25 EUR depending on the FB status). Now they will re-buy it from you for a fraction of that price.

Burn your FB miles (by booking, not necessarily flying) before April 1st.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn’t be too hasty, it might work out not so badly in the long term. But business and first class mileage prices are already at beyond stupid levels. There is only one way they can go and that is down, not up. Seriously, they can’t be more than they already are. I would never turn my miles in for a premium cabin ticket, only economy. I’m getting good at finding the best value economy redemptions. And anyway, there are so many well priced offers that business often does not cost that much to pay cash for these days.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
There is only one way they can go and that is down, not up. Seriously, they can’t be more than they already are.
you are really dreaming ! but don't feel bad, it's good to dream sometimes
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s what I think! Life’s much more fun if you keep on dreaming and you get to see all sorts of things you never imagined could have existed.

So, I’ve booked GVA-FCO-CAG and vv for €149 and BSL-CDG-MAD-CDG-GVA for €130. Just 4 more sectors to sort out after this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Only after 1 April 2018 will the old-style segment running end. The new rules of FB will force you to find the best "bang" for your buck - which, for segment runners like me, for the first time will involve considering certain J itineraries, with an eye on price. (If a J ticket is less than 3 times the cost of a Y ticket, then it may certainly makes sense to fly J on that ticket)
Depends on your patterns , other ST airlines can help you reach your goals without much issues

The key point is to find flights over 2kmiles . For istance my next spring holidays will give me 40xp for 600euros and my dreamtrip to brasil 54xp for ~600 euros

From my side the only change towards my goals will be to add an extra weekend trip during the year , which is not a big issue

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
IMHO it’s now easier to earn status, but more expensive to get award miles with flying AF/KL. The solution might be to avoid AF/KL and book tickets with other SkyTeam airlines that still give award miles based on distance and flown miles rather than by crediting miles upon the fare paid.
You mean changing FFP ? Or booking awards from FB but on other ST airlines ?

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
I am on a cheap business class ticket WAW-AMS-HGK-CTU-AMS-WAW (900€) on KLM and the award miles credited are just 6400 miles. That’s just insanely low ... taken into account how expensive premium class awards are at Flying Blue.
Booked from KL or MU ? 6400 miles is just ridiculous

Last edited by fifty_two; Feb 14, 2018 at 4:46 am
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s what I think! Life’s much more fun if you keep on dreaming and you get to see all sorts of things you never imagined could have existed.

So, I’ve booked GVA-FCO-CAG and vv for €149 and BSL-CDG-MAD-CDG-GVA for €130. Just 4 more sectors to sort out after this.
Right, it's sorted, I've got the four other sectors: ZRH-FCO-MAD on AZ for EUR69 and MAD-PMI-MAD for EUR60. So I've got the last twelve sectors for well under my target of EUR450, which I think was worth the effort. In the middle of this I had to do a one way to Switzerland, so I booked MAD-BRU-BSL on Brussels Airlines (SN) for EUR69 to help keep my M&M account ticking over!

Last edited by Concerto; Feb 18, 2018 at 5:55 am Reason: typos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.