Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage run suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
I want to be platinium this year, and i'm currently gold until 2019. Do i need to renew gold before the 31 March or it's not a big deal?
With the conversion i will have 160 XPs, do i have to reach the 180XPs (with conversion)?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
yes, but originally you mentioned a 4 segment business class trip getting you almost there which makes no difference for the initial months.
You understand, just as I do, that for segment-running purposes, buying business and/or flying longhaul is a TERRIBLE way to accumulate segments.

Only after 1 April does this old style of segment-running end. When business class earns 3 times more than economy class, then status-chasing becomes more refined than just finding the cheapest segment. With fixed "ratios" between the XPs awarded on any flight based on the cabin selected, one now also has to consider if the same ratio exists in price. If business is only twice the price of economy, but you get 3 times the XPs - then, this is a case where you need to consider, in your overall (re-)qualification strategy, if Y is really the choice on this flight.

You misunderstood. I have NEVER recommended business-class flights for status (segment) running purposes in Flying Blue. And I certainly didn't advocate taking J-class flights prior to the new rules. Segments are the key to easy qualification in the current Flying Blue, so buying J doesn't help in the current system. And for someone whose XPs are going to come from segment numbers, not from Level Miles, then you are "throwing away" XPs. A segment earned in the first quarter - regardless of whether it was an ultra-long First Class segment (good for 60XP in the new scheme) or a domestic economy hop (2XP) will convert to just 7XP.

Only after 1 April 2018 will the old-style segment running end. The new rules of FB will force you to find the best "bang" for your buck - which, for segment runners like me, for the first time will involve considering certain J itineraries, with an eye on price. (If a J ticket is less than 3 times the cost of a Y ticket, then it may certainly makes sense to fly J on that ticket)
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AurelAF96
I want to be platinium this year, and i'm currently gold until 2019. Do i need to renew gold before the 31 March or it's not a big deal?
With the conversion i will have 160 XPs, do i have to reach the 180XPs (with conversion)?
To get Platinum, you have to reach 300 XP and you have a full 12 months from 1 January to 31 December 2018 in which to do this.

It doesn't matter when you renew Gold.

It's not a big deal for you, because you are already at the one-below status level.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You understand, just as I do, that for segment-running purposes, buying business and/or flying longhaul is a TERRIBLE way to accumulate segments.
You misunderstood. I have NEVER recommended business-class flights for status (segment) running purposes in Flying Blue. And I certainly didn't advocate taking J-class flights prior to the new rules.
I even quoted you in my reaction: (emphasis mine)

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Silver requires 100 XP, and all short-haul sectors taken this year prior to 1 April will be converted to 7XP each. Based on my already-booked/flown travel for the first quarter, I will already have 4 such sectors in the first quarter, leaving me with the equivalent of 28XP, and therefore needing 100-28 = 72XP to be earned by segment-running prior to 1 April.

As such, that would require segment running in Jan/Feb/March that yields at last 72 XP - whether that is 11 simple shorthaul international sectors, or a four-segment shorthaul international J ticket and a domestic Y sector, or whatever.

That means I could possibly do it in a single weekend, or even in a single day - if I finally decide it is worthwhile.
Look, yeah, you've made a mistake here, maybe a brain fart happened and you didn't realize flights won't convert according to new rules when you wrote that. It happens, I feel like I'm running on half power today as well. I was just addressing the incorrect information in your initial post.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I was up to 2am last night trying to book that 6 segment run between BSL and LHR (transiting AMS and CDG all on AF numbers). Using expedia, it simply wouldn't go through and every time I got to the payment page it yielded an error. Then I went to Air France directly (clicking through cashback portal shoop.de) and tried to build the itinerary there, but it wouldn't permit it saying the MCT was too short, no matter how much time I added to the connections. I gave up in the end, tired. Some things are not meant to be.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Flew ALC-MAD-AGP-MLN AND THEN MLN-AGP-AMS .Most domestic flights operated by swift /air europa express. alc=mad has been credited as mln-agp. mad-agp=mln has to be credited. you earn 15-25% miles and segments...
So if you ever wanted to visit MLN/Melilla and make lots of segments...
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s interesting, is all that ticketed in one? There are good fares on the nonstop from ZRH to MAD (EUR88 RT), but any add on destinations beyond MAD tend to price up as a lot more. What about a run from Madrid, maybe to MLN via AGP. Will I need a Saturday night stay?

Right now I am up to 14 segments! More next week!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an element of desperation creeps into my calculations, I am now wondering if miles really can be collected on domestic Italian flights in the lower classes, namely L and O. We had a lot of problems with Alitalia along the way, and I more or less dropped them for mileage collecting purposes. I don't trust the Flying Blue site, even though there is no mention of restrictions on domestic flights there. Any experiences or updates?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is only a single earning table now for Alitalia, and no exception for domestic sectors.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
As an element of desperation creeps into my calculations, I am now wondering if miles really can be collected on domestic Italian flights in the lower classes, namely L and O. We had a lot of problems with Alitalia along the way, and I more or less dropped them for mileage collecting purposes. I don't trust the Flying Blue site, even though there is no mention of restrictions on domestic flights there. Any experiences or updates?
As good-old @irishguy28 pointed out, AZ domestic flights (even those booked through Economy Light i.e. the cheapest fares, most commonly W/L/O) do qualify for miles/segments (they didn't for a year or so and up to mid-2016 if memory serves right but all good as we speak).

G
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, those are without baggage. I'm glad you mentioned it, that could have a sting in the tail (because of the person accompanying me). I check fares on expedia.de because I find it easy to use and pretty reliable.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:02 am

Ah, those are without baggage
Indeed!

G
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, those are without baggage. I'm glad you mentioned it, that could have a sting in the tail (because of the person accompanying me).
You were planning on bundling them into a suitcase and bringing them along, but you don't want to pay to check them?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, brilliant idea, you must stop giving me great ideas! No, I’ll just pay a baggage fare for the companion. Is it possible to add that afterwards even if booking on Expedia? This latter only reveals the cheapest fares, which clearly are without baggage.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:01 am

Is it possible to add that afterwards even if booking on Expedia? This latter only reveals the cheapest fares, which clearly are without baggage.
It is but I’d simply avoid the hassle altogether and go for a classic fare instead, which is only slightly more expensive. Moreover, the manage my booking’s section on the AZ website doesn’t seem to work with reservations made through TA/Partner Airline so you could have issues with adding the extra luggage afterwards.

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.